Michael090382

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many to mention
Hi,

Just had an appointment at my diabetic clinic and due to the dawn phenomenon, they are going to consider a pump for me. Waking up at around 3 every night and then going to work has seriously affected my body and mind. They have said that they offer the Medtronic 640g or omnipod.

I’m not sure I fancy the omnipod but I was wondering what are people’s thoughts on the 640g?

Also does anyone have any idea as to when the 670g system will be available in the UK? As I was told it wouldn’t be til at least January 2019.

Thanks

Michael

Reactions: porl69

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Just had an appointment at my diabetic clinic and due to the dawn phenomenon, they are going to consider a pump for me. Waking up at around 3 every night and then going to work has seriously affected my body and mind. They have said that they offer the Medtronic 640g or omnipod.

I’m not sure I fancy the omnipod but I was wondering what are people’s thoughts on the 640g?

Also does anyone have any idea as to when the 670g system will be available in the UK? As I was told it wouldn’t be til at least January 2019.

Thanks

Michael
I have the Medtronic 640g and love it. It's the only pump I have had though. The reservoirs are 1.8ml or 3 ml so if you use a lot of insulin its a good choice. I like the flexibility of being able to site the cannula in different places. I have had my pump for just over a year. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Same as Sweetheart66. The 670g is very close. I'm in Australia and the pump has just been approved, but the new sensor that goes with it has yet to be approved. I would imagine the UK is on a similar timeline. If you wait until early Dec, by the time you go through the process the 670g should be available. If you are not planning to use the sensors, I don't think there is much of a difference between the 640 and the 670 (but I would hold off) as it will only be about a 6 week delay.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Michael090382 I also use the 640g and think it’s a great system, you can self fund the enlite sensor - This doesn’t come with the pump, basal rates can be fine tuned to deal with DP very easily, customer service is excellent.

Curdster

I have had the 640 for a year now and used Libre to fine tune the basal rates which are set at 30 min intervals. I can flat line (BG) at avg of 5.0 from 10pm to say midday the following day. (I eat zero carb breakfast and sometime no breakfast) and have had no DP since going on to this. Result is a record low H1. Was looking at the 670 now almost available in the UK, but feel the combo I have is doing the job, and I wouldn't go back to MDI. I might however be tempted to move to the dual ILet pump when/if it becomes available. Happy to answer questions if you have any.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the 640g for just over three years and I find it to be good pump, very easy to use and set up, and to be honest I haven't really read up on the 670g but I would recommend the 640g to anyone. I would resist it if they tried to place me back on to MDI. Happy to answer any questions if I can.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
I had the Medtronic minimed mio for 4 years and got my replacement in August which is the 640. I would not go backwards. I have found the screen much easier to see as it is in colour, and for me it seems easier to use. I also have been using the Libre to compliment things which has been valuable. It picked up 18 low events in the first 2 weeks that I was unaware of, this allowed my diabetes Ed to also see what was happening and to fine tune my insulin. I have not heard or seen anything about the 670 so can not comment.

Reactions: kitedoc

Nimpkish

I use the 640g along with a sensor for cgm (continuous glucose monitoring). With this pump I’ve travelled far and wide to many places for work. Just having a pump is great news it frees your life. I’ll never look back to injections every day......... that type of regime is so restrictive. When you get a pump and you work out you basal rates you become free to eat or not eat. You become the free and your pump works for you.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks looking for a bit of advice.

Have my appointment with pump clinic in 2 weeks and after 38 years of MDI, think this will be a major adjustment to my life. Couple of things I am slightly concerned about;
at work I wear a shirt and tie and suit, where do you guys put the pump if the canula is connected to stomach. Wont the tubing be seen. It would be OK at weekends etc as I tend to wear T shirts/ shirts that are not tucked into trousers. I can find numerous Youtube videos on wearing a pump and dress but not a thing with shirts

I am a very restless sleeper and bounce all over the bed at night, lie on my back/left side/right side/stomach. How do you sleep without the fear of pump disconnecting

If I am on holiday abroad sunbathing and need to go for a dip in pool, do I simply unplug the tubing and go in pool with canula on

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Leeannea

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @smc4761 I use the shortest cannula length possible so there's no issues with tubing length, I also wear shirts and tailored trousers and there's no issue seeing tubing, you can get a pump belt and tuck it all in there or use the belt clip to clip it onto the top of your trousers, looks a bit like a pager, no one ever looks twice or put it in your pocket but that could become uncomfortable, the belt works well for me and I use this 24 hours. I also toss and turn a lot at night and keep it in the belt and never wake because of the pump unless an alarm goes off during the night.

If I am swimming for say an hour or so I just unclip it and out it to one side, I could do a small bolus beforehand to tide me over, but as I tend to drop anyway when I swim I don't bother and correct afterwards, if swimming for longer then I correct every so often by testing and doing a bolus and taking it off again, you can keep it on for swimming but personally I don't want something bulky being seen on my swim suit.

I went through loads of thoughts similar to yours before I started using it and now none of this ever crosses my mind, it's almost intuitive to wear it as it becomes part of you.

Curdster

I wear suits at work and casual at weekends. The tubing is long enough to have the canular in leg or stomach and the pump in my suit trouser or jeans pockets. I place the tu ing under my trouser belt so you only see the bit between the top of the pocket and the bottom of the belt. No issues. Re holidays, I disconnect as although it’s waterproof, I am nervous of being stuck abroad with a water damaged pump! 670 is in the UK now so ask your DSN about local availability, I have the 640G and Libre but will upgrade when offered. Sleep is easy, stick it in a PJ pocket or clip to underwear. Even if it comes off it won’t disconnect as the tubing is fairly long.
Good luck. Give it time and you will love the difference, took me 35 years to get round to it and wished I have converted sooner.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Give it time and you will love the difference, took me 35 years to get round to it and wished I have converted sooner.

Couldn't agree more, give it plenty of time to settle in with adjustments and control and try not to be dismissive early on if things go wrong, I have seen people give it up after a few weeks/month and knowing what I know now and the improvements I have made I would never give it up.

Reactions: kitedoc

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @smc4761 as you know I have just started on the 640G. Had all the same thoughts as you. At night I got myself a cheap pump belt and it sits in there all night. I have tried without the pump belt and that wasnt a problem at all. I wear thermals at the mo in work, the pump is on my waistband and the tubing is long enough my thermal top to be tucked in and the tubing happily goes around it and into my belly. As for swimming.....not done that yet BUT yeah you can remove the tubing and go in with the canula attached. The canula sticks to be better than the Libre....really soak it before taking it off, and then still a struggle.
So far it has been amazing, am in range a LOT more now need to sort out my nighttime basal profiles and will be getting more "unicorn" lines on my Libre/Xdrip graphs

Last edited:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @porl69 @Curdster and @Juicyj it is good to get feedback from others who have the pump. I tend to worry about everything and after years of MDI think this will be a shock to my routine/system ( but in a good way).

Any suggestions where to get pump belt, Amazon/Ebay?

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted Account

Whilst I don't wear men's suits, I usually wear trousers and often smart ones in a work environment and have been a pumper for 3 years.
A bit of background - I am slim and am currently using an Animas Vibe. This pump is no longer available but seems to be a similar size to the Medtronic 640G. I do not want my diabetes on show - partially because I am vain but mostly because I do not want to be judged as "that woman who has diabetes"; I want to be "that great engineer".

Regarding diabetes control, the pump has been brilliant. The ability to change my basal at different times of day is great, the ability to temporarily adjust my basal for travel, exercise and tough meetings is wonderful.

However, unlike others, I do not "love my pump". I find it big, cumbersome and ugly. I sometime clip it to my belt but it is on show and my jacket no longer lies flat because the clip is chunky. I sometimes put it in a pump belt but it is only hidden when I wear a baggy top - not when I wear a t-shirt or tailored short, If I wear baggy trousers, with pleats, I can put it in my pocket and have made a hole in some pockets to feed the tubing through but it still affects the lie of the trousers and only works with very baggy trousers.

I have never been one to hide away to inject but, when on MDI, my diabetes was only on show when I injected. Now I feel is on show most of the time.

I would not give my pump back as I love the control it gives me but it comes at a cost.
Maybe the cost is because of my clothes choice, my body shape or my vanity or maybe all three and I am unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks @porl69 @Curdster and @Juicyj it is good to get feedback from others who have the pump. I tend to worry about everything and after years of MDI think this will be a shock to my routine/system ( but in a good way).

I just google insulin pump belt UK and loads came up, think I paid £14 for a Spiderman one! My misses like spiderman ;);)

It seems strange at the moment going anywhere without my pens.....its like something is missing all the time

D

Deleted Account

I have tried a few and, as you probably gathered from above, I have not found any perfect but the most comfortable and discrete for me is the Hid In belt (http://www.hid-in.com/).
Orders used to arrive with voucher codes for future orders. I am not sure if they still do this but with this in mind, I would order one first time (also to test them out) and use the voucher code if you want more.
(They are available from Diabetes UK but more expensive than buying direct.)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I don't wear men's suits, I usually wear trousers and often smart ones in a work environment and have been a pumper for 3 years.
A bit of background - I am slim and am currently using an Animas Vibe. This pump is no longer available but seems to be a similar size to the Medtronic 640G. I do not want my diabetes on show - partially because I am vain but mostly because I do not want to be judged as "that woman who has diabetes"; I want to be "that great engineer".

Regarding diabetes control, the pump has been brilliant. The ability to change my basal at different times of day is great, the ability to temporarily adjust my basal for travel, exercise and tough meetings is wonderful.

However, unlike others, I do not "love my pump". I find it big, cumbersome and ugly. I sometime clip it to my belt but it is on show and my jacket no longer lies flat because the clip is chunky. I sometimes put it in a pump belt but it is only hidden when I wear a baggy top - not when I wear a t-shirt or tailored short, If I wear baggy trousers, with pleats, I can put it in my pocket and have made a hole in some pockets to feed the tubing through but it still affects the lie of the trousers and only works with very baggy trousers.

I have never been one to hide away to inject but, when on MDI, my diabetes was only on show when I injected. Now I feel is on show most of the time.

I would not give my pump back as I love the control it gives me but it comes at a cost.
Maybe the cost is because of my clothes choice, my body shape or my vanity or maybe all three and I am unique.

@helensaramay , thank you for your honest answer. I have no issue with injecting in public either, although I am always discreet when doing so. I don't think having the pump on show along with tubing will bother me that much, just trying to hide it as best i can. I totally understand your comment about not wanting to be known as " that woman with diabetes"

and @porl69 , go on tell the truth it was YOU that really wanted the spiderman belt/pouch:):)