Does the odd treat now and then affect long term health?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something else to think about is that irrespective of what does or doesn’t happen with your glucose reaction, a carb binge (my words I know) is going to contribute to increased insulin resistance, and this is the bit you can’t really measure at home. Not saying it should influence your decision, but it’s nevertheless a factor when it comes to these life choices.
Thanks, as I lose weight (I have about 7 stone to lose) and keep doing my workouts I be able to increase my insulin sensitivity to a considerable level? like could I get good insulin sensitivity like a non diabetic as long as I keep the weight off and eat a balanced diet?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thanks so much, yes I do have a meter and have been checking since they said 3 weeks back that I may be diabetic......ideally when should our blood sugar levels be back down by? and should it be the same as our fasting number?

Fasting blood sugars always take the longest, I always say if you're in the 4, 5 or low 6 range you're not doing too badly at all. You're mainly looking for not going over a 2 mmol increase after 2 hours but the closer you can get to 4 the better. As you lose weight and don't feed the glucose machine you'll find that it'll come down pretty quickly.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood sugars always take the longest, I always say if you're in the 4, 5 or low 6 range you're not doing too badly at all. You're mainly looking for not going over a 2 mmol increase after 2 hours but the closer you can get to 4 the better. As you lose weight and don't feed the glucose machine you'll find that it'll come down pretty quickly.
Great, thanks so much for the help!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I would say is not to take it all on blind faith, keep on testing which leads me on to ask if you have a meter??

That’s quite interesting in that I studied what people on the forum said and what was on the backs of packets till I remembered what was what and did it that way. It seems to have worked. I know there are variances between individuals but in the big scheme of things it worked.

My GP today who is an LCHF convert come advocate told me today to avoid pasta, potato’s, rice and bread. I guess he was putting across the message in simple terms but it coincidentally has been the core of my approach.

I have a Weight Watchers handbook at home that a member kindly gave me but it is of no use to me. Too many carbs in the recipes etc.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s quite interesting in that I studied what people on the forum said and what was on the backs of packets till I remembered what was what and did it that way. It seems to have worked. I know there are variances between individuals but in the big scheme of things it worked.

My GP today who is an LCHF convert come advocate told me today to avoid pasta, potato’s, rice and bread. I guess he was putting across the message in simple terms but it coincidentally has been the core of my approach.

I have a Weight Watchers handbook at home that a member kindly gave me but it is of no use to me. Too many carbs in the recipes etc.

Did you manage to get that meter or flash monitor in the end? :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you manage to get that meter or flash monitor in the end? :)
I have quite a lchf friendly GP to say the least. In fact I would almost go as far as to say it is a bit like having Dr Unwin himself as my GP. Whilst he treats me as if I have diabetes still, he hasn’t even mentioned use of a meter. He advised me to continue what I had been doing, drop in for an HbA1c every 3 months and avoid pasta, rice, potato’s and wheat products as a matter of priority. I got a thumbs up, steady as she goes and congratulations on my latest HbA1c outcome which of course is a marked improvement on preceding levels.

Had my HbA1c result been less favourable I was personally seriously considering a Freestyle Libre. Considering my latest test outcome, I will pass on that just now.

As a recap, I am using dietary control to regulate my blood sugar levels to maintain a favourable HbA1c outcome to avoid regressing to Prediabetic or even diabetic levels.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I feel sometimes you need to have a fun and have something you don’t usually have, I see it’s says your type 2 in remission, do you mind sharing how you got into remission and how long you’ve been in remission for, and you day to day diet
Hi @Mollyc1995 apologies for the late response - I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48 so just on the cusp of diabetes and have been in remission for approx 5 years. I average between 100 and 130g carbs per day which is more than many forum members and have full fat yoghurt and berries or eggs on toast for breakfast, salad or sandwich for lunch and dinner is usually meat or fish with veggies - both ‘below and above ground’ and a couple of potatoes inc chips, mashed or roast and occasionally reheated pasta. I also enjoy cheese with or without crackers or apple. For toast or sandwiches I have Tescos high protein bread at 10g carbs per slice. Snacks include nuts, popcorn, mini rice cakes or protein bars and I’m partial to a couple of squares of 70% chocolate. Through testing I have learnt what I can eat either freely or in moderation but I still like to experiment and see what reaction I get to high carb meals such as Jacket potatoes. Hope this helps.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mollyc1995 apologies for the late response - I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48 so just on the cusp of diabetes and have been in remission for approx 5 years. I average between 100 and 130g carbs per day which is more than many forum members and have full fat yoghurt and berries or eggs on toast for breakfast, salad or sandwich for lunch and dinner is usually meat or fish with veggies - both ‘below and above ground’ and a couple of potatoes inc chips, mashed or roast and occasionally reheated pasta. I also enjoy cheese with or without crackers or apple. For toast or sandwiches I have Tescos high protein bread at 10g carbs per slice. Snacks include nuts, popcorn, mini rice cakes or protein bars and I’m partial to a couple of squares of 70% chocolate. Through testing I have learnt what I can eat either freely or in moderation but I still like to experiment and see what reaction I get to high carb meals such as Jacket potatoes. Hope this helps.
I need to try and count mine but I reckon about 100 carbs for me a day right now.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We'll if you say you have no more than 2mmol rise after eating then you are doing well and the weight is coming off so well done As you say SW is working for you so I do not see why you should change anything. You could eat pasta and potatoes every day on SW but you don't so thats good thats the thing with SW you can adjust it to suit you. I would not worry about have a pizza at your friends birthday you are not eating it every day so it will not do harm occasionally We are human beings and we need a treat sometimes so enjoy it

Reactions: Daphne917