IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hopefully.... :)

Carrying on from my last post about changes after diagnosis, I went in for my first BG test and review since diagnosis of T2 in October, I was first diagnosed with a hba1c reading of 49. My results have come back with a reduced reading of 41, happy girl, woohoo!

Officially, the Doc states I'm out of diagnosis and have 'reversed' it - I don't like nor agree with that description, and, I know I'm not actually out of the woods, it's a lifelong condition, it won't go away - BUT I can do what I can to keep it from coming 'back', as such.

I didn't do anything fancy, no special measures, I'm not on meds - and didn't take them when offered by Doc - I took the change of lifestyle option, staying consistent, but thinking long term, rather than short term. Good diet and working out again consistently, and reducing the work stress which was OTT. I built a new lifestyle for myself. Everything feels like it's changed since I got that diagnosis, it feels odd because it's made me stop, take stock of life and where it was going, and take ownership of overall lifestyle. It's an ongoing process, I'm learning lots, but feeling positive about a healthy future.

Keep going, folks, putting this thing into 'remission' is doable. Keeping it in remission might be another mission, but one step at a time, one win at a time, and I'll take today as a positive step in the right direction. :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news. Well done. I feel very much the same, blessing in disguise. It made me stop and take stock too. No mers for me either thank you. Were you offered an alternative or did you find it yourself?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant news @IronLioness .

Officially, the Doc states I'm out of diagnosis and have 'reversed' it -
I don't like nor agree with that description, and, I know I'm not actually out of the woods, it's a lifelong condition, it won't go away - BUT I can do what I can to keep itfrom coming 'back', as such

Agree entirely with that
And while perhaps overall in similar mode, my changes have felt a little more like they crept up on me. I guess changing one thing, always impacts something else

But the overall effect, is as you describe .

I've taken stock, made some changes that now seem to be part of my new Normal day to day routine

We meet on the same road, @IronLioness , perhaps taking a slightly different route . but with mainly the same goals, aims & methodology

Lead the way, my friend. I think your ideas are spot on

Long term goals and aims makes this far more comfortable then, I think it SHOULD initially feel .

We are a remarkable species, fast of thought and speedy to adapt.. WHEN required .

God speed on the rest of your journey

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
83B2220A-8EFA-4D10-8153-6079F5ACCCB7.jpeg
Hopefully.... :)

Carrying on from my last post about changes after diagnosis, I went in for my first BG test and review since diagnosis of T2 in October, I was first diagnosed with a hba1c reading of 49. My results have come back with a reduced reading of 41, happy girl, woohoo!

Officially, the Doc states I'm out of diagnosis and have 'reversed' it - I don't like nor agree with that description, and, I know I'm not actually out of the woods, it's a lifelong condition, it won't go away - BUT I can do what I can to keep it from coming 'back', as such.

I didn't do anything fancy, no special measures, I'm not on meds - and didn't take them when offered by Doc - I took the change of lifestyle option, staying consistent, but thinking long term, rather than short term. Good diet and working out again consistently, and reducing the work stress which was OTT. I built a new lifestyle for myself. Everything feels like it's changed since I got that diagnosis, it feels odd because it's made me stop, take stock of life and where it was going, and take ownership of overall lifestyle. It's an ongoing process, I'm learning lots, but feeling positive about a healthy future.

Keep going, folks, putting this thing into 'remission' is doable. Keeping it in remission might be another mission, but one step at a time, one win at a time, and I'll take today as a positive step in the right direction. :)
I was first “diagnosed” with a figure of 49, dropping down to a 41 but via a slightly different route. Fortunately using lower carbs higher fat I have just brought mine down to 36.

Am I clear of diabetes? No.

Congrats from me to you and from me to me. Champagne all round.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news @IronLioness .

Officially, the Doc states I'm out of diagnosis and have 'reversed' it -
I don't like nor agree with that description, and, I know I'm not actually out of the woods, it's a lifelong condition, it won't go away - BUT I can do what I can to keep itfrom coming 'back', as such

Agree entirely with that
And while perhaps overall in similar mode, my changes have felt a little more like they crept up on me. I guess changing one thing, always impacts something else

But the overall effect, is as you describe .

I've taken stock, made some changes that now seem to be part of my new Normal day to day routine

We meet on the same road, @IronLioness , perhaps taking a slightly different route . but with mainly the same goals, aims & methodology

Lead the way, my friend. I think your ideas are spot on

Long term goals and aims makes this far more comfortable then, I think it SHOULD initially feel .

We are a remarkable species, fast of thought and speedy to adapt.. WHEN required .

God speed on the rest of your journey
Nice post, as ever.

M

Member496333

Well done. I disagree with the notion that it’s never gone or can’t be cured. If you don’t have symptoms of diabetes then you don’t have diabetes. I fail to see how you can have a clinical condition that cannot be clinically diagnosed. You may have an intolerance to carbohydrate but that isn’t diabetes. Diabetes is the symptom of mismanagement of the intolerance. Life isn’t a carbohydrate eating competition, so personally I don’t understand the negative outlook, but perhaps it helps others stay motivated, which is fine - just reiterating my own viewpoint on that subject.

I got a cold once and I may one day get another one, but I don’t have a permanent runny nose ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, my GP introduced the idea of an individual who had always been susceptible to diabetes but never actually got it because he/ she’s diet was always a favourable one.

He actually posed that question yesterday.

M

Member496333

Interesting, my GP introduced the idea of an individual who had always been susceptible to diabetes but never actually got it because he/ she’s diet was always a favourable one.

Exactly my view. If you got diabetes once then you likely always had a problem dealing with excessive glucose, but no one ever called you diabetic until it was too late. If you don’t have diabetes then you don’t have it. The diet needed to keep it from ever coming back is the optimal diet that you would always have eaten had you known that Mother Nature didn’t like you very much.

Personally I find this a much more positive and constructive outlook :)

Reactions: IronLioness

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly my view. If you got diabetes once then you likely always had a problem dealing with excessive glucose, but no one ever called you diabetic until it was too late. If you don’t have diabetes then you don’t have it. The diet needed to keep it from ever coming back is the optimal diet that you would always have eaten had you known that Mother Nature didn’t like you very much.

Personally I find this a much more positive and constructive outlook :)
From my personal standpoint, and you did acknowledge as such, it does indeed keep one motivated. Also, I still bear some of the “scars” of the condition.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A differing veiwpoint, @Jim Lahey
And a valid one for many

But with the same overall aims...
Reduction of symptoms and lowering the risks of complications.

The road is unpaved, so it's easy to stumble,
And we all must mske the journey in our own way.

Which doesn't mean we can't be friends while we travel together.

Remission, cure, control. You say tomato, I say tomatoe . ;)

Best wishes and continued success.
Yours was such a good example for me
Very inspiring posts.

M

Member496333

From my personal standpoint, and you did acknowledge as such, it does indeed keep one motivated. Also, I still bear some of the “scars” of the condition.

Sure thing, brother. Whatever keeps us all happy and healthy is all that matters. Just injecting a more positive slant on the whole reverse/cure topic. I fully respect alternative views.

M

Member496333

And a valid one for many

Very inspiring posts.

All true, and of course we’re all at different junctions along that unpaved road. Speaking personally, I’m now 100% certain that I’ve cracked my diabetes code. My road is now paved with gold, but I once wasn’t quite so confident, so I do understand the need for caution :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well on a positive note, I am off to get some ingredients for Keto ice cream. The little one wants to make ice cream so it’s a great opportunity to introduce her to a low carb treat and keep me on the straight and narrow at the same time. Says he sounding like a reformed alcoholic. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And a valid one for many

Very inspiring posts.
Yeah possibly two sides of the same coin or glass half full or half empty syndrome.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jim Lahey I am not so sure. I have had HBA1c of 41, 36, 33 in the last 12 months yet my retinopathyis getting worse. If I am cured I shouldnt be getting these eye checks etc and could slip into losing my sight. Btw I was never very overweight and wasnt a gorger of sweets, pop, etc. I dont believe the HBA1c tells the whole story, I still test several times a day to try and catch any spikes, which rarely happens. Eg. In a restaurant last week my fish came with a small amount of puy lentils which I didnt think about but that raised my BG by 4. As far as I am concerned I still am diabetic but I control it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jim Lahey I am not so sure. I have had HBA1c of 41, 36, 33 in the last 12 months yet my retinopathyis getting worse. If I am cured I shouldnt be getting these eye checks etc and could slip into losing my sight. Btw I was never very overweight and wasnt a gorger of sweets, pop, etc. I dont believe the HBA1c tells the whole story, I still test several times a day to try and catch any spikes, which rarely happens. Eg. In a restaurant last week my fish came with a small amount of puy lentils which I didnt think about but that raised my BG by 4. As far as I am concerned I still am diabetic but I control it.
Reminds me of asthmatics. And my own blood pressure. Agreed.

M

Member496333

Sorry to hear about your eyes. I had the exact same thing. It’s a fairly well documented phenomenon and is part the healing process when lowering HbA1c rapidly. It’s a complication of diabetes that can linger for 1-3 years even after the diabetes has gone. Gets worse before it gets better kind of thing. I fully empathise.

You are however dead right in that it’s not all about the HbA1c. Insulin also needs checking to ensure that normal blood sugars are not being maintained only by hyperinsulinemia. As always it’s a complex subject but I don’t wish to derail and take anything away from OP’s awesome achievement, so I’ll stop wittering on now :D

Best of luck with your mice pies.