Waitrose have Halo Top

sbnz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a bit miffed with Oppo: they appear to have sneakily upped their prices by reducing the large tub size from 500 to 475 ml. I believe there's also been a change in some of their ingredients - I don't remember them originally including milk, apple/fruit juice concentrate, "blossom honey" whatever that is, or starch?

Changes seem to have coincided with a recent minor packaging revamp, but I'm willing to stand corrected...

Robbity

ETA
@Rachox - I was expecting a treat, but was very disappointed when I tried the rather flavourless Raspberry Nipple. so a definite NO from me!! Make your own instead with vanilla ice cream and real raspberries.
Hi Robbity - I dislike (being polite) when products get 'quiet' changes too. There is a space there (methinks) for Consumer watchdog organisations to keep databases on all groceries (I know that's a big ask) and when prices, ingredients or packaging (size) changes. Would probably get some pushback from the manufacturers...? Even consumers starting one up?- issue would be with checking that the data was correct I guess... Sandra.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Robbity - I dislike (being polite) when products get 'quiet' changes too. There is a space there (methinks) for Consumer watchdog organisations to keep databases on all groceries (I know that's a big ask) and when prices, ingredients or packaging (size) changes. Would probably get some pushback from the manufacturers...? Even consumers starting one up?- issue would be with checking that the data was correct I guess... Sandra.

There are regulations relating to food labelling out there, and to what manufacturers must dsiclose. Like most things, I doubt manufacturers will do more than they absolutely have to (unless for a marketing edge somehow), as any time there is a change to their labelling and so on, the costs are significant.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Found Halo icecream in a local Tesco Express. Has obviously not been popular as reduced to half price. Should have read the ingredients more carefully. The Salted caramel version has two different sweeteners and three types of sugar: organic cane sugar, corn syrup, sugar. Plus there will be the lactose from the milk and cream.
Wont be buying the salted caramel version again. Have not yet tried the peanutbutter one which appears more promising with coconut milk as its main ingredient, although organic cane sugar does appear third in the list. Will try a more carefully measured portion, sometime, soon. Have to empy the freezer before we move..
Still its an absolute pain trying to measure 118ml of icecream. Cant see me buying any more of their products.
Wonder if Mr Slim will eat it?

Update. Checked in Carbs and Cals book: appears to be only approximately 3g less carbs then ordinary icecream. Guess which I would rather eat.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer home made keto ice cream made with heavy cream. Says he, sanctimoniously. :D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I prefer home made keto ice cream made with heavy cream. Says he, sanctimoniously. :D
Used to have a fantastic icecream maker. Gave it away in a (failed) attempt to stop mr Slims waistline expanding. It was a huge piece of equipment, so we wont have room for one soon anyway.
Would probably be less expensive to make my own anyway.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it deliberately changed from “ripple” to “nipple” to generate more interest? The wonders of marketing!!
They donate a very small part of the price to breast cancer charity 10p I think...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, I bought some of the peanut butter variety today. Halo Top 12 grams per 100grams. See how it is tonight.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Unfortunately it’s usually a choice of reducing the size slightly or putting the price up.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Halo Top was not as good as I hoped and not as bad as I expected.

I also made the same mistake as @SlimLizzy with the grams per 100ml etc. I don’t think I will be buying it again. I did prefer the keto chocolate we made the other day, by a long way.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had bought some Halo Top Peanut Butter ice cream too, and tried it last night. I didn't think it was as good as OPPO, and probably wouldn't buy it again. I like the ice cream I made myself better than both.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had bought some Halo Top Peanut Butter ice cream too, and tried it last night. I didn't think it was as good as OPPO, and probably wouldn't buy it again. I like the ice cream I made myself better than both.
Exactly.

The Peanut butter was not very creamy and wasn’t particularly tasty either even though it was obviously a peanut butter flavour.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Right, I bought some of the peanut butter variety today. Halo Top 12 grams per 100grams. See how it is tonight.
Had a vegan friend taste test the peanut butter version. She wasn't impressed. Described it as tasteless and powdery. I tried a spoonful. :yuck:Its horrible. Is all going in the bin. £s wasted:mad: