Low Carbing - Carb Intake

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Various figures are around when it comes to say for example a Keto diet. Let’s just pick a typical figure of around 30 a day or less. Then if we imagine two identical persons in everything except physical height (and of course respective weight), would they both need to drop to the same level to achieve ketosis or would we expect the taller of the two to have to drop to a higher number to achieve that goal?

Does physical height and frame etc have a bearing at all?

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all individuals and what suits one won't necessarily suit the other.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all individuals and what suits one won't necessarily suit the other.
Okay. Understood. But is physical size a key factor? A bit like say anaesthetic requirements for an operation...

A 6 1/2 footer compared to his 5 1/2 foot counterpart, all other things being equal....

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay. Understood. But is physical size a key factor? A bit like say anaesthetic requirements for an operation...

A 6 1/2 footer compared to his 5 1/2 foot counterpart, all other things being equal....

No it will depend on levels of insulin resistance, carbohydrate intolerance and many other factors. The recommendation of fewer than 20g of carbs per day is to virtually "guarantee" ketosis. Once this has been achieved some people play with their carb consumption to see where their maintenance level is. The sensible ones simply maintain the 20g per day. Some look at when their weight loss stops to gauge their carb intake level.
There are many different strategies however as you seem happy with your current levels I'm surprised you are asking?

D

Deleted member 308541

But is physical size a key factor? A bit like say anaesthetic requirements for an operation...
I worked with feller in Mt Isa who got busted for being over 0.05 the legal blood alcohol limit here in Queensland.

When he went to court he disputed the fact that as he weighed x amount of kilos and being a big and muscular person that he would have more blood than say the average person would have. So the blood alcohol reading was wrong according to his theory. The magistrate did not think so after due deliberation.

I am 194 cm tall and a weigh 95 Kgs, I do not think what I eat would suite you and vice versa with what you eat would not suite me.

I think I eat around 100 grams carbs a day probably, might be less might be more. I must be doing something right with my hba1c bgl's, and reduced daily metformin.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No it will depend on levels of insulin resistance, carbohydrate intolerance and many other factors. The recommendation of fewer than 20g of carbs per day is to virtually "guarantee" ketosis. Once this has been achieved some people play with their carb consumption to see where their maintenance level is. The sensible ones simply maintain the 20g per day. Some look at when their weight loss stops to gauge their carb intake level.
There are many different strategies however as you seem happy with your current levels I'm surprised you are asking?
I have a reason for asking. And it is because I wondered if a male at 1.83m would need to hit a different target to one at a lesser height. I assumed it would make a big difference but obviously not from what you say...

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked with feller in Mt Isa who got busted for being over 0.05 the legal blood alcohol limit here in Queensland.

When he went to court he disputed the fact that as he weighed x amount of kilos and being a big and muscular person that he would have more blood than say the average person would have. So the blood alcohol reading was wrong according to his theory. The magistrate did not think so after due deliberation.

I am 194 cm tall and a weigh 95 Kgs, I do not think what I eat would suite you and vice versa with what you eat would not suite me.

I think I eat around 100 grams carbs a day probably, might be less might be more. I must be doing something right with my hba1c bgl's, and reduced daily metformin.
I see your point there @Tipetoo

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Oof. 100 a day. That’s high carbing in some quarters. Just Jestin.

I still haven’t got round to counting mine but looking at your diet it is probably not too dissimilar to my own, carb wise. I try to keep an eye on how you are doing and you are obviously doing great.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as he weighed x amount of kilos and being a big and muscular person that he would have more blood than say the average person would have.
In that case the judge probably thought his blood would have diluted the alcohol more so he was really even more over the limit? Shot himself in the foot a bit...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am indeed happy with my own levels, yes. And so is my doc.

I have learned a lot since joining the forum and clearly more to learn yet. I try to take in as much as possible and then make my own mind up to a certain degree. I read a lot of posts and a lot of conflicting posts and have to find a way through that. Asking questions helps with that. Isn’t that what a forum is all about?

forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun
  1. 1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

D

Deleted member 308541

In that case the judge probably thought his blood would have diluted the alcohol more so he was really even more over the limit? Shot himself in the foot a bit...
It's hard to say, his argument was that the average body has x amount of litres blood, and he reckoned he had more blood to body mass. The case went for a couple of days before the magistrate made his mind up so it must have put some doubt in his mind. He normally did a couple DUI cases an hour.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to say, his argument was that the average body has x amount of litres blood, and he reckoned he had more blood to body mass. The case went for a couple of days before the magistrate made his mind up so it must have put some doubt in his mind. He normally did a couple DUI cases an hour.
But it does go to show that a fixed figure isn’t always going to be appropriate.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think it is possible that you might be hitting keto at 100 carbs a day, rather someone more diminutive who might need to go down somewhat lower to achieve the same state of play?

D

Deleted member 308541

Do you think it is possible that you might be hitting keto at 100 carbs a day, rather someone more diminutive who might need to go down somewhat lower to achieve the same state of play?
I would not have a clue @Listlad as I have never tested myself for keto.

I eat normal foods and I exclude heavy carbs, I can get away with cooked and reheated pasta, I eat spudlite lower carb potatoes, and low carb bread which takes three of the main offenders. Rice is completely off the menu, I will not accept substitutes for rice.

I have tested my post breakfast bgls which was 5.4 after a three egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, and a reheated spudlite.

There are a couple of charts with my last three months of bgls and my averages on my so called blog, may be of interest to you

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/tipetoo.308541/

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not have a clue @Listlad as I have never tested myself for keto.

I eat normal foods and I exclude heavy carbs, I can get away with cooked and reheated pasta, I eat spudlite lower carb potatoes, and low carb bread which takes three of the main offenders. Rice is completely off the menu, I will not accept substitutes for rice.

I have tested my post breakfast bgls which was 5.4 after a three egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, and a reheated spudlite.

There are a couple of charts with my last three months of bgls and my averages on my so called blog, may be of interest to you

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/tipetoo.308541/
That’s quite some blog on such matters. I noticed you had yourself down as MLCHF. Presumably that is Moderately Low Carb...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, based on my reading, I doubt many, if any will be achieving nutritional ketosis on 100gr per day.

You do of course know the only way you, or any individual would know drops them into ketosis is to count and record what is eaten, and drunk, then test for ketones. From there things cabn be tweaked or vaildated.

Personally, I have never felt the need to particularly strive for ketosis, although I'm sure there are times when I have achieved it. I eat to my meter, and take note of my other physiological data, including lab tests, weight, and well-being and make amendments from there.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever myself and my wife go out to eat at a restaurant we are always served the same sized portions. And yet I am 6ft 0.5” and she is 4ft 10” and obviously a huge difference in food requirements. It is normally considered that smaller folk need less food than taller folk so one would naturally assume this would apply to carb intake too. On that footing one might reasonably expect that a persons physical height might be a large factor and one that ought not be ignored.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever myself and my wife go out to eat at a restaurant we are always served the same sized portions. And yet I am 6ft 0.5” and she is 4ft 10” and obviously a huge difference in food requirements. It is normally considered that smaller folk need less food than taller folk so one would naturally assume this would apply to carb intake too. On that footing one might reasonably expect that a persons physical height might be a large factor and one that ought not be ignored.

I eat an awful lot more, in terms of both calories and quantities (in terms of how the plate appears) than my OH. In fact, the only time I really paid any attention to calori s in recent times was when he made the comment, "where does all that food go?"

I am 1.60m tall, and this morning, I weighed in at 47.1kg, which is actually too light, so I'm actively trying to notch up a little. My OH isn't a big man, but around 1.75m tall and he weighs in at 67kg. 70kg is his "do something about it" figure.

As is oft said on this forum, we're all different.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's not about size. It's about your personal metabolism. One cannot compare like for like mainly because IR is not measured here in UK and it is not common for T2s or PreDs to have c-Peptide bloods done so hyperinsulinaemia is not measured. The latter is why I have decided that if ever a HCP suggests it's time for hypoglycaemic drugs I will insist on a c-peptide first. If it proves that I still have a measure of hyperinsulinaemia then I will endeavour to further lower carb intake and/or take up IF (even if it means Longo's mimicking fasting diet). I may end up having no choice but to take further treatment but if/when I do Ifeel it most important to be able to make an informed choice on the matter.