Extended fast week beginning 18/3/19

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, I'm starting a 3 day fast today, and may turn it into my first 5 day fast if all goes well. All company welcome, including non-fasting thoughts and comments!

This morning:

FBG 6.3 mmol/L (A little high after a weekend including some lapses)
Ketones 0.5
Weight 263lbs

Will post BG, ketones and BP in the evening.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late notice for me to join as have food prepped for the week.. but all the best!

Reactions: jpscloud

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m off extended fasting for the time being - bit too much of a rebound after the last two 48 hour fasts in quick succession so back to a narrow eating window (5 hours) interspersed with 2 or 3 OMAD days each week.

Good luck though - will be with you in spirit.

Reactions: jpscloud

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I’m off extended fasting for the time being - bit too much of a rebound after the last two 48 hour fasts in quick succession so back to a narrow eating window (5 hours) interspersed with 2 or 3 OMAD days each week.

Yes, i had the rebound problem, too - very annoying - and Autophagy didn't last as long as I'd hoped it might. (Although it was very nice while it lasted!)

I was supposed to be on a 39 hour fast today but I've been struck down with a horrible cold. Hopefully I'll be better by my next planned fast on Thursday

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i had the rebound problem, too - very annoying - and Autophagy didn't last as long as I'd hoped it might. (Although it was very nice while it lasted!)

I was supposed to be on a 39 hour fast today but I've been struck down with a horrible cold. Hopefully I'll be better by my next planned fast on Thursday

Sorry to hear about the cold. I ended up so hungry last week that I ate way too much - and too many treat like things. Going back to carnivore has got me back on track.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That's quite understandable, thanks for the support!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hope that gets better very soon, Chook, thanks for the support xx

Reactions: Chook

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening numbers:

BG: 4.8
Ketones: 0.8
BP: 142/83

I feel great so far! No hunger pangs today, I've been drinking coffee with cream (x3), twinings ginger and lemon tea (no carbs or sweeteners listed) and water.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We will indeed maybe April?
Yes, I'm going to be fasting regularly so let's plan one in a bit. I will probably avoid fasting during the two week Easter hols, though. I really appreciate your support, thanks!

Reactions: Chook

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning's numbers:

BG 4.8
Ketones 0.5
Weight 260 lbs

I'm feeling very well, no hunger pangs and an absence of anxiety. The latter I'm thinking could be due to not having food anxiety while fasting - what to eat, when to eat, eating the wrong things, eating too much.

My blood glucose is a bit lower than early on in my other fasts - I wonder if that's due to some benefit from previous fasts. Ketones are the same, though, so getting fat adapted has to be my next goal. Tough one for me.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's just a two day fast this time! I am going to break my fast with some tuna with olive oil and mayonnaise in a short while.

Afternoon numbers:

BG 4.7
Ketones 1.1
BP will edit to add later 126/74

I must now try my best to avoid carbs, so that I'm not immediately undoing the good that fasting does for me. I want to disconnect the "reward" link with carbs - easier said than done, because that's where my mind keeps sneaking off to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I broke my fast as planned yesterday but I'm going to try fasting for two days now, until Friday evening.

Fasting BG 5.4
Weight 258 lbs

Will post ketones later. I have been a little tighter on carbs, keeping to less than 30g per day.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ketones 1.1 at midday, sugars 5.2.

Then I broke the fast - no real reason, I wasn't hungry or feeling wobbly, I just weakened somehow - but I just had tuna mayonnaise and a salad at that point, so I kept it low carb.

Then later, I lapsed - I won't post the details, but it's a bad one. I'm not sure what led to this but I wanted to post it because I'm determined not to slink off and go back into denial, so I'm posting failure as well as success.

Maybe it was the few days of stricter low-carb, maybe it was because my weight has dropped a bit, and I always used to rebound after a couple of stones lost in the past.

It might be that the tuna caused an insulin response - I notice that my sugars don't go as low if I've had tuna. Shame, I love it!

Or, it might just be that I am still gripped by a powerful sugar addiction. I felt like I did in the past, that I wouldn't get full, I wouldn't feel satisfied. It's a bit frightening.

Whatever it is, I'm determined that this time will be different - I am picking up, dusting off and going again. One binge isn't going to ruin the hard work, just set it back a bit.

The most motivating thing, the thing I'm really hanging on to, is that this way of eating isn't a diet, it doesn't make me miserable and although I lapse, I don't feel the intense guilt and shame that I used to feel with falling off the diet wagons in the past. It's maybe because as a way of eating this makes me feel good, so I'm always happy to get back to it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Then I broke the fast - no real reason, I wasn't hungry or feeling wobbly, I just weakened somehow - but I just had tuna mayonnaise and a salad at that point, so I kept it low carb.

Then later, I lapsed - I won't post the details, but it's a bad one. I'm not sure what led to this but I wanted to post it because I'm determined not to slink off and go back into denial, so I'm posting failure as well as success.

Maybe it was the few days of stricter low-carb, maybe it was because my weight has dropped a bit, and I always used to rebound after a couple of stones lost in the past.

It might be that the tuna caused an insulin response - I notice that my sugars don't go as low if I've had tuna. Shame, I love it!

Or, it might just be that I am still gripped by a powerful sugar addiction. I felt like I did in the past, that I wouldn't get full, I wouldn't feel satisfied. It's a bit frightening.

Whatever it is, I'm determined that this time will be different - I am picking up, dusting off and going again. One binge isn't going to ruin the hard work, just set it back a bit.

The most motivating thing, the thing I'm really hanging on to, is that this way of eating isn't a diet, it doesn't make me miserable and although I lapse, I don't feel the intense guilt and shame that I used to feel with falling off the diet wagons in the past. It's maybe because as a way of eating this makes me feel good, so I'm always happy to get back to it.

@jpscloud good on you for posting. Sounds like you’re responding well to going a bit off piste. Totally agree that this isn’t a diet and getting straight back to your plan is definitely the way to go.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Feel for you but also so impressed by you analysing it and working out a way forward.
How about an oilier more filling fatty fish? I eat lots of mackerel and sardines canned in olive oil that I have with avocado and lc seeded home made crispbreads they fill me up and because fattier than tunathey dont affect my bgs. John west do cans of sardines in olive oil with olives which are amazing. Or you could try getting tuna and adding in olive oil? Anything that adds to your feeling of fullness when yo7 do eat may help? I also do a fair bit of sugar free jelly which hits the spot for me with yoghurt. Good luck hope you manage to produce a plan that works for you hugs x

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feel for you but also so impressed by you analysing it and working out a way forward.
How about an oilier more filling fatty fish? I eat lots of mackerel and sardines canned in olive oil that I have with avocado and lc seeded home made crispbreads they fill me up and because fattier than tunathey dont affect my bgs. John west do cans of sardines in olive oil with olives which are amazing. Or you could try getting tuna and adding in olive oil? Anything that adds to your feeling of fullness when yo7 do eat may help? I also do a fair bit of sugar free jelly which hits the spot for me with yoghurt. Good luck hope you manage to produce a plan that works for you hugs x
Thanks Shelley, I think you're right, I took my eye off the fat content - that could explain why I suddenly couldn't get satiety and fell back into a binge.

It wasn't so bad later in the evening but the afternoon overeating and sugar choices showed in my fasting BG which was 7.3 this morning.

I love sugar free jelly but I've tried to avoid artificial sweeteners when on track with low carb so far, in case they trigger an insulin response.

The good news is that I'm feeling great this morning and although the weekend ahead may not be as low carb as it should be, I'm fully positive about lchf and intermittent fasting as my way of eating now.

Thanks to you both for the support and encouragement xx

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Shelley, I think you're right, I took my eye off the fat content - that could explain why I suddenly couldn't get satiety and fell back into a binge.

It wasn't so bad later in the evening but the afternoon overeating and sugar choices showed in my fasting BG which was 7.3 this morning.

I love sugar free jelly but I've tried to avoid artificial sweeteners when on track with low carb so far, in case they trigger an insulin response.

The good news is that I'm feeling great this morning and although the weekend ahead may not be as low carb as it should be, I'm fully positive about lchf and intermittent fasting as my way of eating now.

Thanks to you both for the support and encouragement xx
Hope you have a great weekend and plans work out. Staying positive is key - getting back up and at em once you’ve regained your balance.
Do you do anything like mindfulness for the mindful eating stuff? I find the Headspace app really helpful for me - seems to help me to stick to smaller amounts and feel satisfied. I do mindfulness every day and on difficult days several times!