I blame McDonald’s

mimip276

i ‘treated’ myself to a caramel Frappuccino today and i’m So mad with myself as my blood sugars have gone up to 13.2. Haven’t been this high for months!
I've frequently asked for only ONE pump of the syrup when in Costa, you get the taste without so the spike (if you're gonna carry on moving around!)
Idk how McD's operate, (can't stand the place!!), but if they make it up like Costa it might be worth a shot No pun intended

Reactions: SaskiaKC

mimip276

Can see why you had it because I cleaned out my Advent Calender for lunch today - I knew it was a very bad choice - but I don't blame Green and Blacks who made it. So I really don’t think it is McDonalds fault if you chose to have one. I drink all my drinks black but I still kind of suspected these drinks his are loaded with sugar. I cringe when my husband has that sort of thing..

Hopefully a bit of exercise will get you back to normal. You have made me think I ought to go see where my blood sugar is now after my very stupid chocolate binge. Wow! 7.0 it’s not good but it’s lower than I was expecting so I’m very surprised at that although it was about four hours ago so it was probably up level with yhim u after I did it.

Tomorrow is another day so start again. Hope the Frappuccino was good
I have a sweet tooth (a cruel thing for a T1), but have found that Monin now do SUGAR FREE SYRUP. I would never put three pumps worth in, I have a teaspoon full, which is enough to flavour my black coffee and give a little variety and sweetness, again without a spike

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Okay. Here’s what you do. Get some sugar free Torani syrups and a Nespresso milk frother. Make some really strong coffee. Add a squirt of salted caramel or toffee or whatever sugar free syrup is like what’s in those frappachinos. Froth your milk and gently pour on top. You will never want one of those over-done, over-priced things again. And you’ll feel pretty good after drinking your home made luxury in the comfort of your own home. There ya go!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not McD’s but KFC. I just did a ‘cough cough’ test in the name of science of two pieces of original chicken. 5.8 before eating and 2 hrs later 5.9. Checked again after another 30 mins still 5.9. Gave in then and ate other food as I hadn’t eaten much at all since breakfast. I expected much worse. So will repeat the test after better prep (not starving hungry before hand) and check again at 3 and even 4 hrs. But I might have just regained a small occasional treat I thought lost forever.

Same here - I had a 'KFC-day' yesterday when a friend brought me a bucket on their way home (I am 3 hours from the nearest McD/KFC so it's a very rare event). Tested glucose throughout the day but only varied from between 5 and 6 all day. In all over the day I had 6 pieces (it doesn't keep well in the fridge :) ) and to my credit I didn't eat the fries! This morning back to my usual FBS of 5.5

I won't/can't make a habit of this but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Will test on 6 Big Macs next time he offers :) I test alternate treats in moderation but while I always remember I have type 2 diabetes, I also remember you only live once. To the OP don't feel guilty at all, it's not like you will have one every day.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey dont worry, dont beat yourself up about it, we all do it, did a similar myself, 17.4 Mmol.....
half hour on weights, or even simple push ups for quarter hour, or even half hour brisk walk will sort it out, its not the BS you should bother about but the insulin spike. The BS will just go and feed the muscles if you give them some hard work. The important thing is, did you enjoy the coffee.....
The best way I found to get my BS down was to drop all meat and dairy, huge, huge difference.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey dont worry, dont beat yourself up about it, we all do it, did a similar myself, 17.4 Mmol.....
half hour on weights, or even simple push ups for quarter hour, or even half hour brisk walk will sort it out, its not the BS you should bother about but the insulin spike. The BS will just go and feed the muscles if you give them some hard work. The important thing is, did you enjoy the coffee.....
The best way I found to get my BS down was to drop all meat and dairy, huge, huge difference.

Hi Fuggs, that last bit is interesting as meat and dairy is low carb and seems to be the mainstay of low carbing, can you tell us how you did it, thank you.

M

Member496333

I don’t wish to argue with your experience but personally I don’t think this is particularly good advice to be promoting. Meat and dairy is bad but 15 spoons of sugar in a coffee is ok? Hmmmm ;)

That said, excess protein can cause inceased blood glucose, particularly when fasting, but personally I wouldn’t agree that cutting out all meat and dairy is beneficial to a diabetic. As with most things, the dose is the poison :D

Reactions: SaskiaKC and briped

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm glad to say that I've failed in my quest to find a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I love them, but apparently it's the American in me, because I can't find them here in Wales. I had a sip of a Starbucks Toffee something or other thing but it was too disgusting to drink any more of. And as far as I'm concerned, the Gingerbread Lattes are a pale comparison to my PSL and not worth the carb treat.

I have a Bailey's Truffle advent calendar though. That's my daily Christmas treat :)

You called?
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-low-carb-pumpkin-spice-latte/

Very easy to make and delicious.
Nowadays I just make them for Mr B, sometimes. Not going to let him think they could be a daily thing, but once in a while...

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Edit to add the spices used are easily available so may make one and try it out , on the very next blue moon maybe.
Easy peasy, I make myself some every morning. 5 tsps of brooke's bond, about one tbsp. of crushed green cardamom, ½ tbsp. of freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. of chai masala plus, if I've got it, freshly pounded ginger and 4 2" sticks of cinnamon and perhaps 4 crushed star aniseed. One kettle of boiling water. Mix everything in a saucepan and let simmer for at least 10 min. Drink with whipping cream. Go 'YUM'! :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fuggs, that last bit is interesting as meat and dairy is low carb and seems to be the mainstay of low carbing, can you tell us how you did it, thank you.

Yes, I would like to hear about that too, please.
And for many people, "simple push-ups" is an oxymoron. :eek:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Easy peasy, I make myself some every morning. 5 tsps of brooke's bond, about one tbsp. of crushed green cardamom, ½ tbsp. of freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. of chai masala plus, if I've got it, freshly pounded ginger and 4 2" sticks of cinnamon and perhaps 4 crushed star aniseed. One kettle of boiling water. Mix everything in a saucepan and let simmer for at least 10 min. Drink with whipping cream. Go 'YUM'! :)
That sounds like 5 cups of coffee, a curry and a dessert in one drink!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I'm wanting KFC Original Recipe with a pumpkin spice frappuccino for dessert!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Brunneria

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if you remember the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit of years ago ...

Maybe McD's should start putting these alerts on their frappuccino cups:

CAUTION: I'm so sweet I will spike your blood sugar!

And on the lid:

!!! STOP !!! Do you REALLY want to drink me? This, with a big red circle and line.

alice-in-wonderland-drink-me-mug-cup-original-art-88-p.jpg

BobbiDoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is too easy to give into temptation. Decide ahead of time what you will and will not eat. It is so much easier to stick to your decisions.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I would like to hear about that too, please.
And for many people, "simple push-ups" is an oxymoron. :eek:
I know push-ups tend to scare everybody but you don't have to do flat push-ups to start with you can start on your knees if you want all the best method is download the app Couch to 5K and crack on with that fitness is the key

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know push-ups tend to scare everybody but you don't have to do flat push-ups to start with you can start on your knees if you want all the best method is download the app Couch to 5K and crack on with that fitness is the key
Ah, knees! Their lies the problem for me. Apparently I have 'footballer knees'. Well it made me smile when the physio called them that. Going upstairs and climbing up is fine but not the other way.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, knees! Their lies the problem for me. Apparently I have 'footballer knees'. Well it made me smile when the physio called them that. Going upstairs and climbing up is fine but not the other way.
Push ups can be done stood up against a wall. The further out your feet go the harder it gets. Just make sure they don’t slip