Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Hi All
Been quiet for a while . Got my latest blood test this week and found my HbA1c up a bit from 38 to 39 but I suppose that could have been Christmas .Still in the non diabetic rang so well pleased as I’ve introduce a few more carbs to my diet as I was lookin a bit gaunt with the weight loss . One thing I was concerned about was my total cholesterol level has gone up to 6.6 and the go wants me to go on statins . I’ve been fudging them since I was diagnosed and was wondering has anyone been put on them and what effect do they gave on bg levels and side effects in general . My Ma has been on them for years and although not diabetic she swears by them .

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no experience with statins - know there are plenty of people on here who will show up soon with lots of advise for you. But wanted to say well done on keeping a stable Hba1c!!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
A rise of one ain't bad at all so well done to you there! A lot o the time it's individual reactions, I know I stopped when my muscles started to freak out on me but now I am a heck of a lot stronger but I still need some lipid tests done. We've got some amazing people on here that'll probably be able to give you more help!

Reactions: Prem51

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have no experience with statins - know there are plenty of people on here who will show up soon with lots of advise for you. But wanted to say well done on keeping a stable Hba1c!!
Thanks Emma

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Been quiet for a while . Got my latest blood test this week and found my HbA1c up a bit from 38 to 39 but I suppose that could have been Christmas .Still in the non diabetic rang so well pleased as I’ve introduce a few more carbs to my diet as I was lookin a bit gaunt with the weight loss . One thing I was concerned about was my total cholesterol level has gone up to 6.6 and the go wants me to go on statins . I’ve been fudging them since I was diagnosed and was wondering has anyone been put on them and what effect do they gave on bg levels and side effects in general . My Ma has been on them for years and although not diabetic she swears by them .
Peadair, 38/39, there's no material difference there. The 38 could be rounded down from 38.4 and the 39 rounded up from 38.6, so no material difference.

I'd urge you to give yourself a bit of a range you feel comfortable in. That's what I did, because my thinking was it's not going to be possible to constantly drop, and things like stress, illness and so on can easily negatively impact our A1cs, and there's not a jot we can do about it.

Only you can decide what range you want to allow yourself, but that's an agreement between you and yourself. What someone else allows themselves has no bearing on you.

Personally, I'd rather not take statins, but although my total cholesterol is an inconveniently high number, all the constituent parts, and ratios are good. Do you have your breakdown of the test result at all?

M

Member496333

Well done on the HbA1c. At least it’s stable :)

@bulkbiker is probably your man for statins, but I don’t think he’s going to be trying to sell you any :D

Personally I’d want to be seeing a full lipid panel rather than just a meaningless total cholesterol, and even then I don’t think I’d consider taking a statin.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi All
I think you will find that statins increase your bg levels slightly, at least that's what I found since I came off statins. This is also suggested by the fact that T2D is down as one of the side effects of statins. So best avoided in my opinion.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@Peadair O Brionn well done on maintaining your Hba1c. WRT to statins ultimately the decision is yours however ensure you do your research before making that decision. I took them when first diagnosed because I was told by my DN that ‘all diabetics should be on them’ and I didn’t know any different and didn’t research until I had problems when my hba1c rose from 48 to 54 and I suffered from dizzy spells and disturbed sleep so, with my GPS consent, I stopped taking them. My hba1c came down soon after and I’ve been at non diabetic levels for approx 5 years. I will not take statins again and, after discussions with a new GP, I have had my notes annotated as statin intolerant.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Peadair O Brionn well done on maintaining your Hba1c. WRT to statins ultimately the decision is yours however ensure you do your research before making that decision. I took them when first diagnosed because I was told by my DN that ‘all diabetics should be on them’ and I didn’t know any different and didn’t research until I had problems when my hba1c rose from 48 to 54 and I suffered from dizzy spells and disturbed sleep so, with my GPS consent, I stopped taking them. My hba1c came down soon after and I’ve been at non diabetic levels for approx 5 years. I will not take statins again and, after discussions with a new GP, I have had my notes annotated as statin intolerant.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for that bud . I’ve been telling them for years I don’t want statins but they keep telling me I’ll have an episode in the future if I don’t . I’m hounnto see them about my results in the next couple of weeks and I’ll see what the ratios are then

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to a single number.

As @Jim Lahey says, without a full breakdown of the numbers behind the "headline" it is almost meaningless.

The decision on whether to take Statins is yours and only yours to make, but I think you should only take that decision when you have all the evidence.
Thanks bud . Goin to see them in a couple of weeks . Will get the ratios then

Derbysocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on statins since diagnosed in 2006. Reducing fat in the blood will reduce the likelihood of heart disease or stroke so that is a good thing.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been on statins since diagnosed in 2006. Reducing fat in the blood will reduce the likelihood of heart disease or stroke so that is a good thing.
Thanks for replying . Have you had any side effects .

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The side effects for me were significant .... and none of them in a good way

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks bud . Goin to see them in a couple of weeks . Will get the ratios then

There's a chance that a full lipid panel wasn't done. Some peoples results amount to:
Total Cholesterol
Non HDL Cholesterol

This doesn't give you all the information you need to make an informed decision on whether to accept statin treatment or to decline it. What you need is a full breakdown with Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL and Triglycerides. Then you can judge. Good luck.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last cholesterol total was 6.4 but my ratios are perfect. From now on I’m adopting @DCUKMod ’s expression of “inconveniently high”!

Reactions: Amanda G

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. Your HbA1c hasn't really gone up. It is virtually the same, and therefore stable.

As for the cholesterol, make no decision on statins till you have the full breakdown and can calculate the HDL/Trigs ratio. That is the important one. Do your research on whether they are necessary, and whether high cholesterol does actually cause heart/stroke problems. This thread has all the information you need https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/ but you need a whole day to read it. :)