eating more carb with exercising

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
When taking 20-30 grams more carbs than the normal amount in a meal (the amount blood glucose is within healthy range after two hours), can walking for thirty mins one hour after eating help to control the spike?

Reactions: Freema

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise can be very effective and a brisk walk after dinner does bring my levels down, or rather keeps them down.
However if my levels are low when I start, and I do like to train whilst fasting, then it raises my levels but not to a point where it causes concern.
There is a saying which goes that you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet but exercise really does make a good diet better if you are physically and mentally capable of doing it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Walking or something with a similar impact is a good idea post meal,I think the worst thing I can do is eat a meal and then sit doing nothing. So I try to do some sort of activity post meals, exercise bike at night. 20 seconds here and there works of me, just have to see how it affects bg levels.

Reactions: Freema
M

Member496333

It can but might not necessarily. Can’t hurt though and I’ve personally never seen an increase in BG from walking. Honestly just moving helps. Moving around the house doing little chores such as vacuuming, even just pottering about tarting up the garden is beneficial. Muscles like to use glucose :)

Weight training is great but might raise glucose in the immediate term.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a saying which goes that you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet but exercise really does make a good diet better if you are physically and mentally capable of doing it.
I like the sound of that.

Reactions: millenium

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking or something with a similar impact is a good idea post meal,I think the worst thing I can do is eat a meal and then sit doing nothing. So I try to do some sort of activity post meals, exercise bike at night. 20 seconds here and there works of me, just have to see how it affects bg levels.
That’s interesting. 20 seconds here and there or 20 minutes?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That’s interesting. 20 seconds here and there or 20 minutes?

I use an exercise bike if the weather is bad or at night if need be, 20 seconds is basically 20 revolutions on the bike. Counting each revolution on one side... so using the right leg to count with I would peddle 20 times around and then be done. Which takes about 20 seconds to do. The leg muscles really do improve insulin sensitivity for me. So it doesn't take much, I do it when the commercials are on at night. Because I use small amounts of insulin, it just makes it more effective.

D

Deleted Account

Twenty seconds vs twenty minutes?
To be honest, everyone is different so what works for one person may be different for someone else so the only way to know is to try.
Generally, low sustained exercise reduces BG and short periods of exercise will increase BG.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Twenty seconds vs twenty minutes?
To be honest, everyone is different so what works for one person may be different for someone else so the only way to know is to try.
Generally, low sustained exercise reduces BG and short periods of exercise will increase BG.

Gardening yesterday lowered my BS, even though I tweaked my Insulin for it, so frustrating trying to get it right at times.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Gardening yesterday lowered my BS, even though I tweaked my Insulin for it, so frustrating trying to get it right at times.

Same for me, gotta watch it.... picking up stick around the yard etc. Gardening, pottering around the house, dusting, sweeping etc. Great for lowering, as long as it doesn't go too low :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an exercise bike if the weather is bad or at night if need be, 20 seconds is basically 20 revolutions on the bike. Counting each revolution on one side... so using the right leg to count with I would peddle 20 times around and then be done. Which takes about 20 seconds to do. The leg muscles really do improve insulin sensitivity for me. So it doesn't take much, I do it when the commercials are on at night. Because I use small amounts of insulin, it just makes it more effective.
That’s very useful. Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When taking 20-30 grams more carbs than the normal amount in a meal (the amount blood glucose is within healthy range after two hours), can walking for thirty mins one hour after eating help to control the spike?
Avoiding taking the 20-30 g extra carb may well be more effective though?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It works for me, not saying it will for you, but it is better than doing nothing imo.
A few years ago, about 10 in fact, I used to teach classes of young adults. I would set them a task, whip out of the classroom briefly and then do 30 press-ups. Walk back in the class and they would be nonethewiser. :D

I wouldn’t find it so easy now, though.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The point I would like to make is that one should not use excercise in order to facilitate taking in a higher amount of carbohydrates. One might find that regimented excercise helps to ameliorate the effects of higher carbs in the present but what happens in the future when those effects can no longer compensate?
keeping glycogen stores on the move is best practice and the GLUT4 mechanism is ideal but imo this should not give license to taking in more carbs than is perhaps wise given one's personal threshhold.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Many people don't know what that means. I try to simplify my explanations ... sometimes I realise I may oversimplify.

Exactly, so I googled and found this interesting article, which may help member's understand what it actually means, myself included. I do still like my walking though, some gardening and diy too, keeps me relatively fit (I'm over 60 now) I watch my weight which keeps me active, both mentally and physically :)

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/article/what-is-aerobic-vs-anaerobic-training

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
To answer your question yes. I have seen much research on this. I remember an Asian low carb Doctor detailing results from his patients. I think it is not a great use of your exercise time personally.....unless you are like me and are choosing to overeat for a reason (although my choice is protein).

In a more regular routine I would use exercise as the "icing" on the cake so to speak to help lock in results and improve dietary results.