1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

eating more carb with exercising

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by millenium, Mar 22, 2019.

1. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

When taking 20-30 grams more carbs than the normal amount in a meal (the amount blood glucose is within healthy range after two hours), can walking for thirty mins one hour after eating help to control the spike?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Muddikins

Muddikins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Exercise can be very effective and a brisk walk after dinner does bring my levels down, or rather keeps them down.
    However if my levels are low when I start, and I do like to train whilst fasting, then it raises my levels but not to a point where it causes concern.
    There is a saying which goes that you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet but exercise really does make a good diet better if you are physically and mentally capable of doing it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Walking or something with a similar impact is a good idea post meal,I think the worst thing I can do is eat a meal and then sit doing nothing. So I try to do some sort of activity post meals, exercise bike at night. 20 seconds here and there works of me, just have to see how it affects bg levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It can but might not necessarily. Can’t hurt though and I’ve personally never seen an increase in BG from walking. Honestly just moving helps. Moving around the house doing little chores such as vacuuming, even just pottering about tarting up the garden is beneficial. Muscles like to use glucose :)

Weight training is great but might raise glucose in the immediate term.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I like the sound of that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Listlad

That’s interesting. 20 seconds here and there or 20 minutes?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tophat1900

I use an exercise bike if the weather is bad or at night if need be, 20 seconds is basically 20 revolutions on the bike. Counting each revolution on one side... so using the right leg to count with I would peddle 20 times around and then be done. Which takes about 20 seconds to do. The leg muscles really do improve insulin sensitivity for me. So it doesn't take much, I do it when the commercials are on at night. Because I use small amounts of insulin, it just makes it more effective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Twenty seconds vs twenty minutes?
    To be honest, everyone is different so what works for one person may be different for someone else so the only way to know is to try.
    Generally, low sustained exercise reduces BG and short periods of exercise will increase BG.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe it’s more to do with aerobic vs. anaerobic rather than duration.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #9 Jim Lahey, Mar 22, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Gardening yesterday lowered my BS, even though I tweaked my Insulin for it, so frustrating trying to get it right at times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. Tophat1900

Same for me, gotta watch it.... picking up stick around the yard etc. Gardening, pottering around the house, dusting, sweeping etc. Great for lowering, as long as it doesn't go too low :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tophat1900

For me, most certainly....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Many people don't know what that means. I try to simplify my explanations ... sometimes I realise I may oversimplify.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Listlad

That’s very useful. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tophat1900

It works for me, not saying it will for you, but it is better than doing nothing imo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Avoiding taking the 20-30 g extra carb may well be more effective though?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Listlad

A few years ago, about 10 in fact, I used to teach classes of young adults. I would set them a task, whip out of the classroom briefly and then do 30 press-ups. Walk back in the class and they would be nonethewiser. :D

I wouldn’t find it so easy now, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #17 Listlad, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The point I would like to make is that one should not use excercise in order to facilitate taking in a higher amount of carbohydrates. One might find that regimented excercise helps to ameliorate the effects of higher carbs in the present but what happens in the future when those effects can no longer compensate?
    keeping glycogen stores on the move is best practice and the GLUT4 mechanism is ideal but imo this should not give license to taking in more carbs than is perhaps wise given one's personal threshhold.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Exactly, so I googled and found this interesting article, which may help member's understand what it actually means, myself included. I do still like my walking though, some gardening and diy too, keeps me relatively fit (I'm over 60 now) I watch my weight which keeps me active, both mentally and physically :)

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/article/what-is-aerobic-vs-anaerobic-training

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

To answer your question yes. I have seen much research on this. I remember an Asian low carb Doctor detailing results from his patients. I think it is not a great use of your exercise time personally.....unless you are like me and are choosing to overeat for a reason (although my choice is protein).

In a more regular routine I would use exercise as the "icing" on the cake so to speak to help lock in results and improve dietary results.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook