Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crack on. Lard is awesome. Personally I use duck fat and butter for cooking. Sometimes olive oil but not usually for high heats. The problem with olive oil is that you never really know the purity, and apparently it’s often cut with nasty seed oils. I use organic coconut oil in spicy Asian style cooking and also sometimes just spoon some in my gob if I’m feeling greedy :D
I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Aldi. I believe it is 100% olive oil.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use aluminium because I support our local bauxite mines in north Qld, and also the aluminium smelter four hundred klms north of us at Gladstone.
I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Aldi. I believe it is 100% olive oil.
We use the generic home brand olive oil from Woolies, I put a splash in my omelette mix every day.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i roasted a leg of local lamb. I saved the dripping from it and used it to fry the liver and onions for tonight. Yummy.

Reactions: Listlad

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This weekend I listened to Ivor Cummins, The Fat Emperor, interview Tucker Goodrich on how omega-6 rich “vegetable oils” also known as “industrial seed oils” – (soybean, safflower, sunflower, corn, cottonseed, rapeseed (canola), peanut) – are ruining our health. Note: There’s a link to the transcript in the notes below the video.

All I can say is wow. Listened to it three times on my phone while walking this weekend. I already knew these oils were damaging, but was shocked to learn how many health problems are associated with them: asthma, autoimmune disease, depression, anxiety, cognitive decline, dementia, diabetes, obesity, fatty liver disease, cardiovascular disease, IBS, IBD, inflammation, infertility, macular degeneration, and osteoarthritis.

During the first half hour, Tucker describes how he restored his health after experiencing years of diarrhea, an undiagnosed gluten intolerance, diverticular disease, and a stroke in his late 30’s. He’d heard that industrial seed oils were bad for our health. After having part of his colon removed, he wanted to understand why.

In this interview, he overviews the recent introduction of the first seed oil, cottonseed oil, into the American diet in the late 1800’s, the introduction of the seed oils that followed beginning in the early 1900’s, and a comprehensive review of research findings to date on industrial seed oils. I hope you’ll be able to find the time to listen. Afterward, I encourage you to share these important links with your family and friends. We need to get the word out.

“Sinning with Seed Oils: Are Vegetable Oils Healthy?” Ivor Cummins interviews Tucker Goodrich, 3-19-19

In this article, Chris Kresser specifically discusses the role seed oils play in the above listed health problems, then shares steps you can take to avoid them and the six oils you should be cooking with.

“How Industrial Seed Oils Are Making Us Sick” by Chris Kresser, 3-8-19 https://chriskresser.com/how-industrial-seed-oils-are-making-us-sick/

After listening to interviews, I always read the comment section. There I gleaned a link to this 2019 article. I was shocked. These researchers found that 88% of American adults are metabolically unhealthy. Only 36.7% of men and 48.6% of women have a fasting glucose below 100 mg/dl and an HbA1c less than 5.7% - (this is the low range for pre-diabetes in the US). We’ve got to turn this around…

“Prevalence of Optimal Metabolic Health in American Adults”, 2-8-19 https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/met.2018.0105
Big thank you for this well worth the time learnt a lot

Reactions: jjraak and Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A co-worker shared today that she has stopped using canola oil after reading some of the links I shared at the office (and in my post here). Canola oil is heavily marketed to health-conscious consumers. And I've observed over the years that some forum members here use it. That made me curious. Here's the first link that came up. I found it helpful, and hope you do too. :)

https://draxe.com/canola-oil-gm/

For those who prefer videos...

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I HATE the label vegetable oil. Honestly I rekon the government need to ban these awful hydrogenated fats. I have a bottle of vegetable oil under the sink, I now use it to wash sticky hands, (sounds weird but works) about all that stuff is good for

West335

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yeah and to add insult to add insult to injury I bought a bottle of olivio the other day thinking it was olive oil. 15%olive oil the rest rape seed oil. Another bottle of oil for under the sink

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

Oh yeah and to add insult to add insult to injury I bought a bottle of olivio the other day thinking it was olive oil. 15%olive oil the rest rape seed oil. Another bottle of oil for under the sink

Well you never know when you’re gonna run out of WD40.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do people think about using lard?
I would be very happy to use it if I had some clue as to sourcing. I am a bit fussy about meat and like to know exactly where it comes from and how it's raised to the point where I only really buy locally raised animals and have deliberately been to the farms to satisfy myself.
My butcher is very good and also has a close relationship with the farms rather than using a wholesaler. I suppose I should ask him really, but in principal at least lard is OK?

The great thing about lard or dripping is that it’s cheap! I make my own ghee but on a non existent budget, it can be too expensive at times.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjraak and Guzzler
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What do people think about using lard?
I would be very happy to use it if I had some clue as to sourcing. I am a bit fussy about meat and like to know exactly where it comes from and how it's raised to the point where I only really buy locally raised animals and have deliberately been to the farms to satisfy myself.
My butcher is very good and also has a close relationship with the farms rather than using a wholesaler. I suppose I should ask him really, but in principal at least lard is OK?

I have always and still do, use lard for cooking, especially roast potatoes :hungry: