Regular moderate exercise log

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
12.5k steps - gorgeous Spring day here. 20 mins exercise bike after dinner - memo to self avoid cream before exercise. 40 minutes weights before dinner - 4 sets of 8 reps on 8 different exercises. Feel the weights effect now - hadn't done that in a while.

Reactions: zauberflote

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gym being closed for refurb, extra work and no time have kept me away from exercise for a week. Tonight I have Pilates class, really looking forward to it and the inevitable deep sleep afterwards

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Started to build a bit of exercise into my hospital stay

After a curry lunch(with a small portion of white rice......yeah my bad) I walked one 'length of the hospital visiting each ward and dept which means about 600 yards horizontally and 5 sets of stairs(6 floors 3 sets down-2 sets up).got the heart pumping a little and cheered me up as I saw colleagues along the way as I work in the darn place too!!.

Then done a few leg raises on the bed (3 sets of 20) and then some improvised 'dips' on the bed rails(2 sets of 8).Got creative by asking for a monkey pole for the headboard which enables pull ups (2 sets of 8).

Will gradually increase reps/sets/resistance.

Feeling a bit of a Buzz now LOL

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Traceymac23 well done for doing a bit of exercise while you’re recovering. You lose a truly startling amount of muscle mass just by lying in a hospital bed for a few days - it hapoened to me and I’m having the devil’s own job trying to build it back up. Really impressive effort on your part, especially as you must still be feeling so weak.
I have been awol for a few days. Can’t walk much as foot is really playing up but I’m doing at least 20mins a day of medium to high impact weights and exercise bike.
Thanks for the audiobook suggestion @ianpspurs they don’t really do it for me though - I can’t lose myself in them the same way I can with reading. I thought I’d be able to listen to music whilst pedalling away but that doesn’t work either, My eyes still get bored.

Reactions: Numan

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
12k steps and 26 mins exercise bike - slightly faster tonight - some sprints in there 2 mins peak. Still feels more like I am ticking boxes with little impact but earlier in the year wasn't even ticking boxes. @DJC3 the TV in my gym with Sky Q is perfect distraction/concentration for the eyes -re-watched most of Ken Burns American Civil War last summer plus plenty of the World Cup.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Traceymac23 i can see you with that pullup bar— I love your whole routine as a matter of fact.
@DJC3 bored eyes; now I’ve heard it all. Close them!! or if at home, face a window...
After last night’s bizarre visit of my spine to the bathtub, and having clear xray results, I went and took my first ever Barre class. New situation at my ballet class place, and they have free intro classes with their Barre partner this week only. If I can move tomorrow and get there in time from an afternoon with Mom, I’ll try another different one tomorrow. This is mire endurance and toning than strength. Much like my old (ancient) Jane Fonda tape, but faster paced. I hope to use this to kickstart my strength training. I also found a Tai Chi class on Youtube that may be good for me. Like I really have the time for all of this. No music got learned, and that is a huge black mark. Ugh!

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pilates last night was wonderful, still the only guy in the class but felt so relaxed afterwards and fell into a deep sleep which lasted 9 hours. Heaven

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bench last night 135kg 2x2 everything felt ok, except I can't leg drive because of the problem with my hip. Then tried to squat, not a good idea! but I will come up with a couple of ideas to work around the hip problem. 4 weeks and counting till comp day. Not doing it is not an option, even if I only do a token squat and bench ok and deadlift 200kg then I will be on the British Championship Platform (and I've paid so I'm doing it, that's the scots blood!!)

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Started to build a bit of exercise into my hospital stay

After a curry lunch(with a small portion of white rice......yeah my bad) I walked one 'length of the hospital visiting each ward and dept which means about 600 yards horizontally and 5 sets of stairs(6 floors 3 sets down-2 sets up).got the heart pumping a little and cheered me up as I saw colleagues along the way as I work in the darn place too!!.

Then done a few leg raises on the bed (3 sets of 20) and then some improvised 'dips' on the bed rails(2 sets of 8).Got creative by asking for a monkey pole for the headboard which enables pull ups (2 sets of 8).

Will gradually increase reps/sets/resistance.

Feeling a bit of a Buzz now LOL

It was chucking it down most of today so no walkabout.....but still put in a 'top to bottom' length of the hospital plus 3x20 leg raises, 2x10 dips, 2x10 pull ups(struggled to get the last one).

Upside of the rain is that I only smoked 2 ciggies

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dealing with washing machine flood sidetracked me from weights at planned time - need to do them tomorrow. 15k steps and 35 mins exercise bike.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Extra activities planned over Easter. I've prepared softer but thicker socks.
More taxis but more hours not in sitting room.
Win win situation. Sore feet and stinging expected daily.
Luckily I'm topped up with painkillers.

More veg needs buying, especially stick shape foods.
Chocolate moulding/ modeling planned but after kiddies finger marks I won't be eating any.
Stuffing unicorns, bunnies and dragons with their eggs may be too painful but rewarding.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Squats tonight (even with a knackered hip) 130kg 4x2 no depth but moving, if I'm honest I wanted to cry but needs must, hot bath, rehabilitation and bed

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1/2 hr swimming lengths today was the sum total of activity.
@zauberflote you’re right: ‘bored eyes’is ridiculous! I think its because I find the cycling so tedious I need something very very absorbing to distract me. Swimming is ok - I go into a zen like trance state and can swim for ages without being bored and there’s not a lot to look at. It’s a matter of finding something to suit really. Looks like you’ve found it with ballet.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs oh great, spring floods! I hope no flooring/sub-flooring is affected! I “liked” your exercise but would also give hug for washer.
@ickihun sounds like you’ve got an ambitious agenda. This is the first I’ve heard of unicorns and dragons being included in the secular Easter pantheon!
@DJC3 no, I completely understand! My treadmill used to be in the garage, and while I could see out the top half of the “people door”, I had to turn to something that used my brain rather than looking at the same tiny view constantly. I was an outdoor jogger before that, and am an outdoor walker now - but sometimes the weather is just prohibitive. In the summer here, have to wait until 10:00pm for it to be cool enough! MrZF does the trance thing when he swims too! He has nothing to look at - flying blind without his contacts...I used to do some swimming before kids, and all I remember is using every ounce of concentration on not getting swamped or running into lane mates, each of whom had a different idea about whether we should be circle swimming or keeping to the right Ballet is great, but is only one thing and once a week.
So.... a Barre class has been added at the ballet school and I’ve tried two. Two in a row. On top of the very very sore tailbone and mid spine. Not advisable! I could barely walk after last night’s “Core and more” class, but I did need the kick start. I’d never known what Barre was, but it turns out in this case to be lifted directly from the old Jane Fonda tapes I used to use. Very targeted and EXACTLY what I need to get me going. The teacher is a retired member of the Richmond Ballet, and had excellent teachers herself, so does a magnificent job of teaching the Barre.
So ballet, Barre, hopefully a weekly Youtube tai chi, and continued walking will be maintainable.

Reactions: DJC3

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
It was chucking it down most of today so no walkabout.....but still put in a 'top to bottom' length of the hospital plus 3x20 leg raises, 2x10 dips, 2x10 pull ups(struggled to get the last one).

Upside of the rain is that I only smoked 2 ciggies
No dips or pull ups today..arm hurts from cannula position(crook of elbow) so I did 3x 20 leg raises, 3 x 10 alternate leg raises (basically backstroke on the bed), 3x 20 sink grabbing squats(grabbing sink for Balance reassurance as I tend to topple forward being down a big toe LOL). I then joined the hospital security team on their patrol....and discovered that my colleague of 14 yrs standing is also T2......nice to have someone like me to talk to about it all!! Worked up quite a lather as I put too many layers of clothes on.....plus we started in the boiler room and laundry :oops:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ianpspurs oh great, spring floods! I hope no flooring/sub-flooring is affected! I “liked” your exercise but would also give hug for washer.
@ickihun sounds like you’ve got an ambitious agenda. This is the first I’ve heard of unicorns and dragons being included in the secular Easter pantheon!
@DJC3 no, I completely understand! My treadmill used to be in the garage, and while I could see out the top half of the “people door”, I had to turn to something that used my brain rather than looking at the same tiny view constantly. I was an outdoor jogger before that, and am an outdoor walker now - but sometimes the weather is just prohibitive. In the summer here, have to wait until 10:00pm for it to be cool enough! MrZF does the trance thing when he swims too! He has nothing to look at - flying blind without his contacts...I used to do some swimming before kids, and all I remember is using every ounce of concentration on not getting swamped or running into lane mates, each of whom had a different idea about whether we should be circle swimming or keeping to the right Ballet is great, but is only one thing and once a week.
So.... a Barre class has been added at the ballet school and I’ve tried two. Two in a row. On top of the very very sore tailbone and mid spine. Not advisable! I could barely walk after last night’s “Core and more” class, but I did need the kick start. I’d never known what Barre was, but it turns out in this case to be lifted directly from the old Jane Fonda tapes I used to use. Very targeted and EXACTLY what I need to get me going. The teacher is a retired member of the Richmond Ballet, and had excellent teachers herself, so does a magnificent job of teaching the Barre.
So ballet, Barre, hopefully a weekly Youtube tai chi, and continued walking will be maintainable.
You are reminding me I need to move my running machine into one of downstairs bedrooms. Loft conversion only for storage, still.
I have found a good extra pair of hands to help Mr ickihun. :) :) :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A little variety today and tiny green shoots of recovery. 11k steps for basics. 10 kms exercise bike nice and slowly (31 mins) after evening meal. 3 sets of 15 reps 9 exercises - 1 minute work - 1 minute rest weights. No big load but hopefully more reps will work.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
World’s slowest tiredest sleepiest 1.86 mile languish, er, “walk”.
@ickihun good luck with the moving! Mr ZF and I moved mine from one house to this one, and had to take it apart just to get it in the door. It weighs several hundred pounds, and we pulled alot of stupid moves during that. My newer hip hasn’t been the same since! No worries, soft tissue issue.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Way too long since I posted on this thread - and apologies, I haven’t caught up with everyone’s news.

Exercise lately has been my usual walking - although not as prolifically - supplemented by lots of lifting and carrying as I sorted out my flat ahead of decorating. Amazing how much junk can be stuffed into a tiny flat - moved in 28 years ago so a lot of decluttering.

Today’s score on the door is 17.5k steps. Hope to be back posting regularly now.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
No dips or pull ups today..arm hurts from cannula position(crook of elbow) so I did 3x 20 leg raises, 3 x 10 alternate leg raises (basically backstroke on the bed), 3x 20 sink grabbing squats(grabbing sink for Balance reassurance as I tend to topple forward being down a big toe LOL). I then joined the hospital security team on their patrol....and discovered that my colleague of 14 yrs standing is also T2......nice to have someone like me to talk to about it all!! Worked up quite a lather as I put too many layers of clothes on.....plus we started in the boiler room and laundry :oops:
Got a bit creative with a portable oxygen cylinder today
3x10 bicep curls (each arm)
3x10 shoulder press(seated-each arm)
3 x 10. Bench/bed press(each arm)

Left arm found it easier than the right.......as my right shoulder has damage from the fluid caused by sepsis(erosion of rotator cuff.......don't want to do different amounts or I'll end up looking like a one arm Popeye.

Then one set of leg raises til exhaustion(managed 37), one of pull ups(managed 17), one of dips(managed 21) followed by a brisk walk around the perimeter of the hospital site........which felt so good I pushed it to a second lap.

All done straight after IV antibiotics so as to chug them right round my body

Felt a bit light headed after so had a nap!!