Is breakfast essential?

D

Deleted member 308541

Best meal of the day breakfast, if I do not have that my stomach / guts think my throat has been cut. :D

Reactions: rebetic

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good piece. I have never been an early morning eater, the thought of breaking my fast before (at the earliest) mid morning can make me gip. Left to my own devices I would be on OMAD at about 4pm- ish.
I do not have that choice, unfortunately.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can take it or leave it, but my cup of tea is non-negotiable. I did do without my cuppa for maybe 18 months when I swapped for coffee and cream, but to be honest there is nothing like a cuppa. I have never eaten a lot for breakfast, even in the bad old days. Nowadays it is a soft boiled egg. Just one. Nothing else, apart from the cuppa.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Unless I'm very ill, I've never missed breakfast, but I found the reasoning in the article interesting!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have always eaten breakfast, but like you @Grant_Vicat not, if I am very unwell. I usually only have a small yogurt, that does me until lunchtime.
An interesting article :)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Nope only eat in the evening. Never really rated breakfast, although knowing what I know now I can see why.

First cuppa of the day is utterly non negotiable though.

Linda Kaufman

Of course! A good hearty Breakfast is a guarantee that I will not fall during the day. In the morning I allow myself something tasty and supports my good mood. It's wrong maybe, but I live all day thinking about Breakfast. It helps me. :)

M

Member496333

I eat only when I’m hungry. Breakfast very rarely comes before lunchtime, and sometimes it’ll be the only meal of the day.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Nope, not a breakfast eater, whenever I did, I was ravenous and could eat anything in sight for the rest of the day.

Viv19

I stopped eating breakfast Monday-Friday (at weekends we eat a kind of brunch) when Metformin turned my IBS into a nightmare. I thought that a longer break might help my digestion settle down. It did help a lot (though now I’ve stopped the Metformin life is much much better). I didn’t know at the time that this was an acknowledged ‘diet’ 16/8, but it most definitely was a good idea.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to have my breakfast, I can skip lunch if I have eaten first thing, I get a headache and fell nausus:***: if I don't

Reactions: Pasha

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No "breakfast" when I'm at work, 1st meal of the day at about 1pm, but tend to have a cooked brunch at 11am on non working days which could be my only meal of the day (if I've have the works) or eat again in the evening

Tooth_Fairy

As for me, I do not become productive without a morning meal. This sort of a ritual helps me to gain and preserve energy that is really imortant for me to keep it throughout the day.

Viv19

As for me, I do not become productive without a morning meal. This sort of a ritual helps me to gain and preserve energy that is really imortant for me to keep it throughout the day.

As long as I can have a cup of tea, I function quite well without breakfast. Influence of my father- we always reckoned that if the house burned down he put out a kettle on top to boil.

Reactions: lessci

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Over my adult life my BMI has ranged between 19.5 (funny how that’s a point into the Healthy range and I was being so so unhealthy to maintain it) and 27-28, and I’ve never been in the custom of eating breakfast on an ordinary average day. I kind of only eat it if it’s a social thing, like an early morning meeting at work where they cater some pastries and fruit (LOL the more I think about my life the more my diagnosis makes sense) or brunch with friends or family. But on normal days I don’t.

After I’ve seen my GP and we’ve gone over my bloods properly and I know what’s what, I think I’m going first maintain the fairly strict routine I’m on now (feels silly to say it’s restrictive because my fat ratio is so high in proportion to protein and carbs it’s just my overall calorie limit is deliberately low) to develop a status quo and some regularity, and then experiment a little bit with a few different things in my diet and meal structure - still keeping to my self set calorie limit and macros obviously - and testing before and after to see what my levels are like. That includes eating something in the morning.