1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is breakfast essential?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Grant_Vicat, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always eat Breakfast.

Today it will be at about 18:45 if my train is on time :banghead:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wake up hungry. Always have. Used to love shredded wheat and cold milk-drool- but due to not been able to get a hold on morning levels now eat a 10 carb berry and yoghurt combination.

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If seem to have that "Hadza" way of going about it.. I break the fast when I'm good & ready, around late morning.
    Call it brunch.

I certainly can't eat on waking. Well, unless I happen to be low..

5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Used to crave breakfast when it was an almond croissant and a cappucino then be starving again at lunch... now I can easily avoid it or have a spoon of almond butter if I fancy something with the black coffee.
    I easily keep hold of my body fat so don't see the point of eating for the sake of some rule when not hungry...

6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Hate, hate, hate breakfast. Always have, probably always will. I rarely eat before 1400, often not until 1800.

7. Jaylee

Staff Member

Pretty much as late as 13.00 hours for me on certain days... "Breakfast" in our household just happens when it does.
    Not dictated by the cockerel crow... Lol, the dog eats before I do. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Break your overnight fast whatever time you want to, just don’t do it because Mr Kellogg said it was essential to do it first thing. He had a vested interest in that lie and he’s also responsible for routine circumcision in male infants in the US on the grounds it would stop boys having impure thoughts and deeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Jaylee

Staff Member

Wow, OK??

Oddly Thomas Cook, a member of that whole temperance movement & by all accounts came up with the whole package holiday & tours in the mid 1800s to remove the temptation of impure deed & thought from young men at that time?

Lol, the company aquired the 18/30s club holiday brand some 120 years later.. ;)

Back on the subject. There is still a misconception that a diet for our T2 brethren is the same as for us T1s. I don't feel a structured 3 square meals these days with the advent of MDI & pumps let alone for a diet controlled T2?
    Unless that's how the individual feels?
    Of course I was diagnosed & put on 2 jabs a day of porcine with a set dosage.in the mid 1970s. Pretty much a slave to when & how many carbs. No matter what. Lol, plus advised to snack in between to avoid lows before the next meal or carry me through the night.. This pretty much equated to 4.5 set meals a day for an 8 year old... :banghead:

10. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It didn't work in my case.

• Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook