1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is breakfast essential?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Grant_Vicat, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Best meal of the day breakfast, if I do not have that my stomach / guts think my throat has been cut. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Good piece. I have never been an early morning eater, the thought of breaking my fast before (at the earliest) mid morning can make me gip. Left to my own devices I would be on OMAD at about 4pm- ish.
    I do not have that choice, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I can take it or leave it, but my cup of tea is non-negotiable. I did do without my cuppa for maybe 18 months when I swapped for coffee and cream, but to be honest there is nothing like a cuppa. I have never eaten a lot for breakfast, even in the bad old days. Nowadays it is a soft boiled egg. Just one. Nothing else, apart from the cuppa.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

No breakfast for me, but do enjoy a cuppa with cream when I get up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Unless I'm very ill, I've never missed breakfast, but I found the reasoning in the article interesting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have always eaten breakfast, but like you @Grant_Vicat not, if I am very unwell. I usually only have a small yogurt, that does me until lunchtime.
    An interesting article :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Nope only eat in the evening. Never really rated breakfast, although knowing what I know now I can see why.

First cuppa of the day is utterly non negotiable though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Linda Kaufman

Linda Kaufman · Member

Of course! A good hearty Breakfast is a guarantee that I will not fall during the day. In the morning I allow myself something tasty and supports my good mood. It's wrong maybe, but I live all day thinking about Breakfast. It helps me. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat only when I’m hungry. Breakfast very rarely comes before lunchtime, and sometimes it’ll be the only meal of the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! i'm always excited for breakfast :) I sleep thinking about what i'm having for breakfast. hehehe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That would be me also.... something exciting about the first cup of coffee, bacon and eggs etc.

• Like Like x 3
  13. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope, not a breakfast eater, whenever I did, I was ravenous and could eat anything in sight for the rest of the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

I stopped eating breakfast Monday-Friday (at weekends we eat a kind of brunch) when Metformin turned my IBS into a nightmare. I thought that a longer break might help my digestion settle down. It did help a lot (though now I’ve stopped the Metformin life is much much better). I didn’t know at the time that this was an acknowledged ‘diet’ 16/8, but it most definitely was a good idea.

15. sarah_chadwick

sarah_chadwick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have to have my breakfast, I can skip lunch if I have eaten first thing, I get a headache and fell nausus:***: if I don't

• Like Like x 1
  16. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No "breakfast" when I'm at work, 1st meal of the day at about 1pm, but tend to have a cooked brunch at 11am on non working days which could be my only meal of the day (if I've have the works) or eat again in the evening

17. Tooth_Fairy

Tooth_Fairy · Newbie

As for me, I do not become productive without a morning meal. This sort of a ritual helps me to gain and preserve energy that is really imortant for me to keep it throughout the day.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Viv19

Viv19 · Well-Known Member

As long as I can have a cup of tea, I function quite well without breakfast. Influence of my father- we always reckoned that if the house burned down he put out a kettle on top to boil.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Adm_Mad

Adm_Mad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Over my adult life my BMI has ranged between 19.5 (funny how that’s a point into the Healthy range and I was being so so unhealthy to maintain it) and 27-28, and I’ve never been in the custom of eating breakfast on an ordinary average day. I kind of only eat it if it’s a social thing, like an early morning meeting at work where they cater some pastries and fruit (LOL the more I think about my life the more my diagnosis makes sense) or brunch with friends or family. But on normal days I don’t.

After I’ve seen my GP and we’ve gone over my bloods properly and I know what’s what, I think I’m going first maintain the fairly strict routine I’m on now (feels silly to say it’s restrictive because my fat ratio is so high in proportion to protein and carbs it’s just my overall calorie limit is deliberately low) to develop a status quo and some regularity, and then experiment a little bit with a few different things in my diet and meal structure - still keeping to my self set calorie limit and macros obviously - and testing before and after to see what my levels are like. That includes eating something in the morning.

20. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

An army marches on its stomach.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook