What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Today has been odd.

B: none
L: Macdonalds bunless while out.
S: small amount 70%
D: Aldi’s steak. V tender! Will be having that again. Got mugged by the dogs (well, they stared, worshipped and drooled), but tiny beef fragments on top of their Raw in the bowls conned them into thinking they had a steak dinner too. I’m good like that.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Not much as waiting for first beef curry of the year to cook.
Dinner: Curried beef with all the veggies, jap pumpkin, celery, bag of mixed cauli, brocco, beans, leftover bits in veggie packets. Have just put the six one ltr containers that we had extra into the freezer.
Dwe01us.gif

Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato.

Drinks: Black coffee no sweeteners, water.

Hungry19

Breakfast
Cheese Omlette (Free Range Eggs mixed with Greek yogurt )

Dinner
Steak ( horse radish)

Weekend snack - small mini Kentucky fillet.

New Fitbit has discovered I only have average of 15 minutes deep sleep a night. Need to investigate and change this. Because I am random and sketchy in morning - thought it was because I needed my Levithyroxine to kick in - but I now take it 3am when I wake up.

Edited typo by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Breakfast
Cheese Omlette (Free Range Eggs mixed with Greek yogurt )

Dinner
Steak ( horse radish)

Weekend snack - small mini Kentucky fillet.

New Fitbit has discovered I only have average of 15 minutes deep sleep a night. Need to investigate and change this. Because I am random and sketchy in morning - thought it was because I needed my Levithyroxine to kick in - but I now take it 3am when I wake up.

It's amazing that you aren't random and sketchy all day with only 15 minutes of deep sleep each night. You REALLY, REALLY need to speak to your doctor about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hungry19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to stay at my daughter’s tonight after a lovely evening here ( 2 glasses red plus a raspberry gin so no chance I’m driving home)
Brunch: ham asparagus and a fried egg ( Asparagus reduced in Co op this morning, noticed on pack it said carbs per 100g=2g whereas carbs per 5 spears (approx 80g) =6.4g I rang their Careline to query it and were lovely but equally perplexed)
Afternoon snack : 30mixed almonds and brazil nuts CWC
D: Calves liver, streaky bacon, fried mushrooms, wilted spinach and halloumi chips ( which weren’t v nice as I’d inadvertantly picked up a reduced fat pack)
@shelley262 good tip about the Chocolate pud. I might chance it at that quantity, with a bit of clotted cream to pad it out. Are there 1 or 2 in a pack?

@maglil55 I’m so sorry for your washing machine nightmare and your leg problems at the moment. I thought of you today as I went to Lakeland in Truro and thought to myself ‘this is probably like looking round Maglil55’s kitchen’! I looked longingly at the airfryer, baulked at the price, then realised at the till that I’d spent the same amount just buying ‘bits and bobs’

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
.....@listlad don’t make me come over there and whup you. On second thought, Italy is a great place to go....!
@PenguinMum baloney! Your suppers are very exciting!
@ianpspurs I had some cardiac excitement at the beginning, but I was also starving myself. It was simply more of the same old same old, and did include sporadic very elevated HR. I checked out perfectly fine. For me....
Oh @maglil55 how awful. I hope you sleep MUCH better tonight! I am not liking the awfulness, but your perseverance.
@BibaBee so glad it’s not UTI, but... bad behavior is distressing! Do you know about Feliway therapy? Cat love pheromones in diffusers and a spray. It has worked realllly well on some difficult cases we’ve had.
@Hungry19 you are worse than me. I am so sorry!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Me food:
bfast 1/2 avocado, leftover boiled chicken (no eggs!)
Lunch farmer cheese w olive oil, 3 sq 90% choc with decaf-y cream
Supper wilted spinach with hm dressing. And!!!!! Flax pancakes! They were the funnest thing I’ve cooked yet. They were the same basic ingredients I used to make the kids’ school breakfasts, but flax, coconut, chia, oat fiber instead of wheat flour. They tasted somewhat like buckwheat pancakes, and cooked exactly like pancakes should. Needed no maple syrup, which I rarely used anyway. <5 carbs the whole recipe, which made 3 good size, fluffy beauties. Yum. And these did not accelerate my heart like wheat ones do. (8” skillet in photo)
IMG_8041.jpg
IMG_8040.jpg

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Croissant may have contributed?
Possible but I think unlikely as croissant eaten at 10.30am. Realised I had also drunk some juice which I have been using like cordial as cordial doesn't exist out here. Even though it was a small amount, it may have been responsible for shocking rise. Will keep testing!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yawn!!! My dogs haven't settled properly all night (again) so I've spent most of it on the sofa (again). I don't know which is worse, being in bed but being kept awake by three big dogs whining loudly at the bottom of the stairs and/or barking at non existent noises from outside - or trying to sleep on the sofa with three big dogs showing their appreciation of me being with them by frequent slurpy face kicks (which I hate cos I know what bits of them they clean with those tongues). They are becoming more and more unsettled while Mr C is away and are really only happy now when they can actually see me. (I think they think that I'll do a runner if I'm out of sight). I'm normally a nine hours solid sleep a night kinda girl so, as a consequence, my BG is really high at the moment. I'm so looking forward to Mr C coming home this afternoon - mainly so I can get some sleep.

The temptation to shovel down a big bowl of soothing porridge is very strong this morning...

Breakfast: 100g Brie
Lunch: probably 30g mixed nuts - almonds walnuts brazils
Dinner: Baked pomegranate glazed ham (to be eaten warm) with salad (and possibly a couple of new potatoes with butter depending what my BG is like at the time)
Drinks: black coffee with caffeine at the moment (but will switch to decaff soon as the caffeine affects my BGs), still spring water and red wine with dinner (if I'm still awake)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.....@listlad don’t make me come over there and whup you. On second thought, Italy is a great place to go....!
@PenguinMum baloney! Your suppers are very exciting!
@ianpspurs I had some cardiac excitement at the beginning, but I was also starving myself. It was simply more of the same old same old, and did include sporadic very elevated HR. I checked out perfectly fine. For me....
Oh @maglil55 how awful. I hope you sleep MUCH better tonight! I am not liking the awfulness, but your perseverance.
@BibaBee so glad it’s not UTI, but... bad behavior is distressing! Do you know about Feliway therapy? Cat love pheromones in diffusers and a spray. It has worked realllly well on some difficult cases we’ve had.
@Hungry19 you are worse than me. I am so sorry!

We’ve also used that Feliway and found it does work but smells a bit like sweaty feet which takes some getting used to!

Reactions: zauberflote

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning, Diet Doc keto pancakes for me this am. I can't believe how sweet they taste after 8 weeks sugar free. I had/ have a sugar addiction so cut it out completely after my annual diabetes check revealed my A1c to be 73 (rather let things slip over a very difficult 12 months) I will certainly be adding them in to my regular menu - might try a savoury one next time with cheese & chives.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We tried a diffuser pheromone product to calm down my youngest (more nervous) dog on the first bonfire night after we got him. It worked very well and all three slept through all the fireworks going off including a big display about two minutes walk away. Luckily he's mostly grown out of that phase. He still doesn't like joggers or horses though.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We’ve also used that Feliway and found it does work but smells a bit like sweaty feet which takes some getting used to!

Oh my .....my nose (or my feet and American locker rooms!) are quite different from yours. I can only smell it if I stick my nose right up in its face, and don’t have a “smells like” for it, but not obnoxious

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 2 labradoodles one of which is very nervous - jumps at his own shadow. I have found that Forest skullcap and valerian drops are excellent. I use half the recommended dose on his food if there is likely to be some unusual happening and it really takes the edge of his anxiety.

Reactions: Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All.

Dr Almond sunflower seed loaf came out of the oven a couple of hours ago.
2 slices now consumed with peanut butter and lower sugar plum jam. :wacky:

One of the things I’m liking is that all you need is 400ml cold water, the packet of bread mix and a spoon to mix.
From start to oven is approx 90 seconds.
Then 70 mins baking.

This loaf is brown and flavourful, and I think will be better with savoury things like cheese and pickle.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Chook there’s also a proprietary compound called Composure Max that has a calming effect. I first saw it in the autism world, but it’s now made for pets too. Vit B-1, L-Theanine, and a colostrum biopeptide blend. It works wonders on my hyperactive cat (who kept chasing the old female who’d been cured of her spraying/marking by Feliway), and zombified her and the third cat. Only the hyper cat gets it. No zombie cats allowed.

Reactions: Brunneria

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the kimchi recipe - it looks perfect for me to try out.

I think i have a lot to learn about the kefir grains. :) I've ordered some that have been grown (if thats the right word) in organic milk but was wondering if other types of milk can be used, which milks are preferable and any that definitely mustn't be used.

How does the kimchi and kefir affect your BG?

I just use full fat milk - you can use just about any milk but I find full fat works best - Organic if you please but I don’t bother because my body is a temple. Don’t use that paint wash milk with no fat in it - yuk!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my .....my nose (or my feet and American locker rooms!) are quite different from yours. I can only smell it if I stick my nose right up in its face, and don’t have a “smells like” for it, but not obnoxious

I wasn’t expecting to be able to smell it - I hoped it’d be odourless for people. I have a very sensitive sense of smell though - had to train it for my work in the lab as smell was one of the ways we made initial identification of bacteria. Very much against the rules in these days of health and safelty mind you! The new recruits are reprimanded, quite rightly for sniffing the petri dishes.