Got Milk?

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Same here, black always when out.... there are people out there who can't be trusted with cream. ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee - wonderful
Cream - lovely
Coffee with cream - terrible, waste of both.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you choose to have the biggest size of their coffees Costa will (if asked) give you two jugs of cream to go with It.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if this sounds daft but the only coffee with cream I’ve ever had is Irish coffee but struggle with the cream sitting on the top. Do you stir the cream in to your coffee so it disperses and therefore would I know the difference between milk and cream. I am sorry but I dont like cream unless its invisible.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry if this sounds daft but the only coffee with cream I’ve ever had is Irish coffee but struggle with the cream sitting on the top. Do you stir the cream in to your coffee so it disperses and therefore would I know the difference between milk and cream. I am sorry but I dont like cream unless its invisible.

i stir mine in - I don't like it sitting on top.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I stir mine it. It reminds me of before diagnosis when my comfort food/drink was coffee made with boiled full fat milk, no water. It was so comforting and delicious. I always had to be careful with the milk in the pan, not to boil it over. Messy!!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee with 1/6 cup of milk and 1 packet of "Splenda" (artificial sweetener) for the rare times when I drink mixed coffee. Otherwise, black tea or black coffee, used to love to drink straight cream though...

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I have unsweetened almond milk in my coffee, prefer the taste tbh.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
On the subject of extra thick double cream, I think that is just double cream with a bit of gelatin or similar in to make it set.

Don't forget the butter!

Viv19

On the subject of extra thick double cream, I think that is just double cream with a bit of gelatin or similar in to make it set.

Don't forget the butter!

I think I’ve missed something here. Why do you all have cream with coffee, why not milk?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just a note, cream of celery soup - unutterably filling and cheap. Brocolli and cheddar soup (made with cream) from Sahil's recipe on YouTube (Headbangerskitchen channel) has become a family favourite, again very cheap. No bread type accompaniament needed, it is so filling.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think I’ve missed something here. Why do you all have cream with coffee, why not milk?

It is counter intuitive but skimmed milk is the least healthy for T2 diabetics.
Once you take all the fat out then you are left with mainly lactose. The "ose" is a clue that this is a sugar.
If you look at the nutritional information on milk products you will realise that double cream (and full fat yoghurt) have the least carbohydrates per 100 grams compared to the low fat and fat free options.
If you are trying to eat less carbohydrate and more fat then double cream is a big winner.

Coffee with butter and double cream is a breakfast all by itself.

M

Member496333

Idle thought earlier...

Using the assumption that fat is bad for us, why does skimmed milk carry red markings, and why is whole milk blue? You would think skimmed would be green, semi-skimmed blue, and whole would be red. Answers on a postcard to PO. BOX NoOneCares :shifty:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is counter intuitive but skimmed milk is the least healthy for T2 diabetics.
Once you take all the fat out then you are left with mainly lactose. The "ose" is a clue that this is a sugar.
If you look at the nutritional information on milk products you will realise that double cream (and full fat yoghurt) have the least carbohydrates per 100 grams compared to the low fat and fat free options.
If you are trying to eat less carbohydrate and more fat then double cream is a big winner.

Coffee with butter and double cream is a breakfast all by itself.
@LittleGreyCat Do you have a recipe for coffee with butter? Or do you simply make the coffee then dollop a knob of butter in it and stir?

Diabetesdave1

Are you lot telling me that putting milk in coffee or tea is not good for diabetics ?. Iv only just managed to drink it without the sugar weaning myself off the last few weeks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you lot telling me that putting milk in coffee or tea is not good for diabetics ?. Iv only just managed to drink it without the sugar weaning myself off the last few weeks
If you are controlling diabetes with a low carb diet then milk is something you need to consider as part of the total carbs for the day. Milk is about 5% carbs so say 40ml in a cup of tea is about 2g of carbs. Whether this is significant or not depends on your carb target and how many cups of tea you have.