Your favorite computer OS?

D

Deleted member 308541

Win XP was the best of the NT type, then Win 7 comes second, as for Win 10 I have told them several times this morning where I would like to throw it.

The old dos systems were good I liked using Win 3.11.

I have dabbled with Linux but do not have the inclination to fiddle around anymore.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

kalsery

Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are better than Windows 8 .
Sometimes , the password reset disk can not be recognized on Windows 8 ,

Last edited:

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I favour Red Hat and its derivatives. Also known to use Debian derivatives and Arch on occasion.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I first began to use computers in the late 1970’s. Primative, but nevertheless. I now have apple whatever on my I prod, some stuff on my galaxy note and windows whatever on my laptop. They all work fine.

Reactions: Breck Lundin
D

Deleted member 308541

I have various flavours of Android on my phones and tablets, Ice Cream Sandwich updated to Jelly Bean, Lollipop, Nougat waiting for the Oreo update.

Edit. Wrong update.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Win XP was the best of the NT type, then Win 7 comes second, as for Win 10 I have told them several times this morning where I would like to throw it.

I have dabbled with Linux but do not have the inclination to fiddle around anymore.

I agree with you. I loved the old dos systems - I enjoyed tweaking the .bat files for my games to suit each individual game perfectly and I loved how the either worked or didn't. If they didn't it was my fault - simples.

And for the office I like Win 3.11. It didn't treat me like a moron (I'm looking at you WIndows 10) and actually expected me to think for myself. I felt involved, not like I just sat there and looked at things.

I learned to build my own computer because it was clean, quick and simple! These days - buy a laptop, press go, choose a few options and that's the extent of my involvement. Boring.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I much prefer Android to Windows. I'm on Pie 1 as of this month's update.

I like the fact Android does what you tell it - no "Did you mean it?" "Are you really, really sure you meant it?" - just tell it to, and bang - it is done.

ETA - edited to change version of Android after checking with my phone

Last edited:

Breck Lundin

I agree with you. I loved the old dos systems - I enjoyed tweaking the .bat files for my games to suit each individual game perfectly and I loved how the either worked or didn't. If they didn't it was my fault - simples.

And for the office I like Win 3.11. It didn't treat me like a moron (I'm looking at you WIndows 10) and actually expected me to think for myself. I felt involved, not like I just sat there and looked at things.

I learned to build my own computer because it was clean, quick and simple! These days - buy a laptop, press go, choose a few options and that's the extent of my involvement. Boring.
Yes! I too am one who's IT-eeth were cut in the latter 70s. Witnessed the evolution, freedom to learn and explore finally witnessing a once powerful source of innovation and education devolve into pure corporate controlled boredom.

I know there are still areas of interest but beyond AI (I got into it in the 80s for a bit, can't recall the OS/product) and we are seeing the fruits of that time grow but as a rule only as far as the risk-management sorts allow.

Loved the PC-DOS era, UNIX, SunIX (Solaris), DR-DOS, then laughed at Windows 1.0, 2.0 wondering what the heck were they thinking, until Win 3.x (fav was 3.15 - or was it 3.12? - good on Netware and stable). Basically like other weezer-geezers, it was fun!...

Far as modern GUI based OSs, Win 3.xx was really good, XP solid by the time they killed it off... then until Win 7 none were actually great...now i kinda had tuldate to 10 and an "important" update zorched my HDD's boot sector so the system only boots directly to CMOS. Drive is found its simply Windows Update just did something squirrely to the boot sector. I swore the was to be my last system used to earn a living...now i had to buy a Surface Pro 2 and a Surface Pro 6. I had to because the Surface was the series that finally gave us the pen computing Avery (yeah the people who make our yellow pads) promised at Comdex '93 in Vegas.

Ptetty much i have utter distain for computers these days. only use them because i can still earn a reasonable living designing SQL DBs, Foxpro dev (yup there is actually a fair call for the uber dBase language). But i do it in private and was my hands afterwards.

lindisfel

Expert

Dabble is right word type2 at pushing 80 I find my Lubuntu on a netbook is very hands on using the command line and getting my head around working out the best program for my needs. Perhaps fiddle is the better word! :)
I have another distro on an old pc.

It certainly is much much faster than windows in coming up and surfing the net and seems to be safe.

I liked XP but time ran out on it and it could be lethal to use now but I have an old pc with it on I don't use on the net.

I had one of the first BBC micros and found that experience really interesting.

Since my windows laptop died I just use a phone and a tablet. Someone said Android is based on Linux, perhaps that's why Android is so fast compared with Windows.

regards
Derek

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have a system with Linux Mint on.
Brilliant and super fast.
Hardly any difference for the user from XP apart from more modern slicker and a lot faster.
Sadly there are still hardly any music making programs I can use with ease available.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I much prefer Android to Windows. I'm on Pie 1 as of this month's update.

I like the fact Android does what you tell it - no "Did you mean it?" "Are you really, really sure you meant it?" - just tell it to, and bang - it is done.

ETA - edited to change version of Android after checking with my phone

Don't forget customization - don't like the way it looks or interacts? Change it up.

Reactions: WuTwo
D

Deleted member 308541

That is what %$#&^ me off with Win 10, "working on it" when opening a folder. :meh:

Reactions: Yaya10_10