Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We are having beef strogenof (aka strong enough ) tonight .Are we doomed ? !!
Carol

Yup. Do you want flowers or would you prefer donations?

And, can I come up to your place?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm not embarrassed to admit that before Ivor, Zoe and Malcolm taught me about relative/absolute risk and the differences between correlation, association, observation and RCTs etc I might just have heeded this warning. It's only easy after you've learned it.

This is exactly why people believe this rubbish about red meat.

If you want to convince the public of something, all you have to do is say, "A new study." And they'd believe oxygen is bad for you.

Reactions: Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had an egg and bacon breakfast. And then am off to see the local nurse at the surgery to review my last blood glucose test etc. She eats a Palaeo diet. I will ask her what she thinks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is exactly why people believe this rubbish about red meat.

If you want to convince the public of something, all you have to do is say, "A new study." And they'd believe oxygen is bad for you.

I suppose it comes down to trust. We trust those who we believe to have our best interests at heart. Some of these people break that trust which leads us to question everything about the people and the institutions they front not to mention the CoI. These people are fully aware of the quality of their studies and what the studies can/cannot imply or prove. Make no mistake, they know what they are doing and so do the editors of the journals that publish these studies. It is shameful.

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have just had an egg and bacon breakfast. And then am off to see the local nurse at the surgery to review my last blood glucose test etc. She eats a Palaeo diet. I will ask her what she thinks.

Wouldn't you rather look at the evidence and make up your own mind rather than be influenced by the opinion of a nurse? S/he may dismiss the study or may stick to the 'safe' path and just disseminate.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I suppose it comes down to trust. We trust those who we believe to have our best interests at heart. Some of these people break that trust which leads us to question everything about the people and the institutions they front not to mention the CoI. These people are fully aware of the quality of their studies and what the studies can/cannot imply or prove. Make no mistake, they know what they are doing and so do the editors of the journals that publish these studies. It is shameful.

Agreed, the outcome is already predetermined. It is shameful and at times corrupt.

Reactions: jjraak and Guzzler
M

Member496333

Someone said recently in a podcast I listened to;

“Good scientists interpret what they’re looking at. Bad scientists interpret what they’re looking for.”

Reactions: jjraak and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

“Good scientists interpret what they’re looking at. Bad scientists interpret what they’re looking for.”

I give you Ancel Keys.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Yes, Sir!

Engineers are fantastic at interpreting the data.

Reactions: Member496333

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meanwhile, modern foods are our saviour. If only we could convince everyone to eat them, we would all live to be a hundred.

Oh wait, that’s not right either.

I do like you

M

Member496333

I give you Ancel Keys.

Precisely.

The problem in my mind is that most people view science as an incorruptible and noble pursuit. The reality is there’s just as much flimflam and misdirection in science as there is in any other profession. Nutritional science, especially, is total Jackanory. All you have to do is say it, and everyone believes it. Humans are generally gullible and impressionable. Myself included until recently. My [forced] research into metabolism and nutrition has made me see the entire civilised world in a whole new light :D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Precisely.

The problem in my mind is that most people view science as an incorruptible and noble pursuit. The reality is there’s just as much flimflam and misdirection in science as there is in any other profession. Nutritional science, especially, is total Jackanory. All you have to do is say it, and everyone believes it. Humans are generally gullible and impressionable. Myself included until recently. My [forced] research into metabolism and nutrition has made me see the entire civilised world in a whole new light :D

It ain't rocket surgery but you do need the right sized spanner.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't you rather look at the evidence and make up your own mind rather than be influenced by the opinion of a nurse? S/he may dismiss the study or may stick to the 'safe' path and just disseminate.
I listen to everybody.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
"Scientists" is a label thrown around recklessly at times. "Peer reviewed is another". We're living in a truly dumb world where no-one dares to question the mad statements anymore.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I listen to everybody.

I'm glad that I did not listen to the nurse who gave me the diagnosis. I'm glad I questioned what she had said otherwise I might not be as healthy as I am today. Nurses, even DSNs, and GPs are given what amounts to hours worth of education on nutrition. The majority do not have the time or the inclination to keep up with research even if that research is sturdy.

You are right to listen to everyone but in the end it is your health and your decision and learning to recognise what one should question is a must imo.

Reactions: Prem51