Meh! I've had it with all this palaver

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
I stopped taking my diabetes medicines 2 weeks ago cause I'm fed up with them. I see my readings go up and up but for some reason my mind is rejecting treatment.

It's quite possible I'm spiraling down into self destructing depression behaviour again.

Maybe the only reason I take the readings is because it gives me an excuse to give myself some pain albeit shortlived...

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Aethalides, what meds were you taking? If just metformin I don't think it has a great impact on sugar levels. What is your diet like? I think you may have what people call diabetic burn out. There is a thread about it but not sure how to direct you to it. I think everybody feels like you at some point, I know I do. Do you exercise? That can lift your spirits and make you feel good. Sorry I can't offer you the best advice, I'm fairly new to all this myself, but there are some great people on here and I'm sure they will give you loads of advice and support. Sorry for all the questions, it's just that it helps people advise you. Take care.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
I'm supposed to take metformin and gliclazide. I don't do anything at the moment no sport no going out just eating and sleeping and dragging to the store when I don't have anything to eat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ve recognised the problem. That’s the first step. You’ve spoken about it, albeit on here anonymously. That’s another. It really does sound like a visit to the dr is in order to discuss the way you feel in general and the diabetes in particular. There’s a number of approaches that can be taken but it is you that needs to take at least some of the steps along the way.

Do you work? Have friends or family? Any hobbies? Anything at all to hold onto whilst you drag yourself out of this blackness? (Been there too many times myself). What sort of numbers are you getting btw at the moment? What’s normal for you?

In the meantime take yourself outside each day. Just walk or sit and focus on something simple and try and really think about it. The wind noise, the sun on a tree or plant, an animal or bird. Breathe calmly and walk a bit more, maybe even try and get a little breathless. Sometimes it helps to do this with a purpose, on the way to the shops or to do another chore etc. A little exercise will help mood and diabetes a bit.

Are you distractable? Could finding one thing to control help? Focusing one good action a day sometimes helps.

Have you tried low carb eating? Some good numbers might help you feel better about it all and you might not even need to go back on the meds that way too. Let us know if that would be something new to you. If it is we can give you lots of help and a new direction and hope could really help.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you test what sort of readings are you getting. Were you low carb before you stopped taking your med? I agree with HSSS, it would be a good idea to make a GP appointment. Just let them know how your feeling. Or have you got family or friends you could talk to? If not you always have us, but we can only advise you, the real work has to come from you. How long have you had diabetes?

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
14 to 18 fasting and after meals. I do work but it's from home and all my family are 100s of miles away although I do try to chat with them regularly

I'm eating 4 slices of bread a day and potatoes/rice in the evening and binging on snacks so definitely not low carb. I remember trying low carb a decade ago and feeling misserable about it too

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
14 to 18 fasting and after meals. I do work but it's from home and all my family are 100s of miles away although I do try to chat with them regularly

I'm eating 4 slices of bread a day and potatoes/rice in the evening and binging on snacks so definitely not low carb. I remember trying low carb a decade ago and feeling misserable about it too
It takes some time to get used to NOT eating all the things we considered staples before we had Diabetes. I am convinced you would feel better if your numbers were better. It is wonderful you are testing your levels because that is half of the answer. I gave up potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and pizza completely. For me the hardest thing was not having tea and toast for breakfast. I cannot eat protein first thing. When I eventually got the other food sorted ie. what affected my levels etc. I discovered I could factor in one slice of HiLo toast with thick butter in the morning and that puts a smile on my face. Maybe for you drop one starch at a time starting with the ones you eat most of. I think you are a young person so with a bit of work at your own pace you can conquer this and enjoy life. Come back here anytime for help. Best wishes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of food ideas on the thread “What have you eaten today”. Have a look. BTW I am not one of the most accomplished in that area lol but I can make a curry!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Please take your meds or seek help from your health care team. Oftentimes raised blood glucose levels can directly affect mood and/or depression in a negative way. Sending you positive vibes and a hug.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If that’s normal food and numbers then there’s lots you can do without going back on the meds. I’m sure most of us would have numbers like that or higher eating that food. If you’re miserable now you might as well be miserable but with good numbers and no drugs :) Actually high numbers do make you feel low so bringing them down might help you not feel so bad as a bonus. please look at the links I gave. It shows it really can be done.

You can start simply with just meat/fish and salad or veg. Lots of butter and creamy sauces. Snack on cold meats and cheese or nuts. Lots of eggs which are quick and easy and can be done loads of ways. Have some berries handy too. And bacon. Lots of bacon. How could lots of bacon not help you feel better lol

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Your levels are quite high and as you know diet has the biggest impact. I can tell you are feeling down so I appreciate your'e not in a good place at this moment in time. Working from home can be isolating and that's not always good for people. As everyone has advised, you must book a GP appointment. Alternatively, why don't you think about taking your medication which will help with your sugar levels and as Guzzler says might help improve your mood. Ditch the carbs, there are lots of alternatives and maybe this time round you might enjoy the challenge. If you like to snack maybe prepare some the day before or buy some nuts, cheese or cold meats which are always on tap. Tomorrow doesn't have to be the same as today, it's only if we do the same things!!! I find if I write down what I'm going to improve on tomorrow before I go to sleep or what I'm going to eat etc I feel less troubled if you understand what I'm trying to say. Make tomorrow a new start. Report back to us as we want to know how you are, we all care about each other, that's why this is such a great community. I want to see you fighting back and that's an order lol

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember if you cut the carbs do check your blood sugars if you take gliclazide as I am told your levels can go to low. If you just take metformin as I do, that doesn't normally happen.

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
If that’s normal food and numbers then there’s lots you can do without going back on the meds. I’m sure most of us would have numbers like that or higher eating that food. If you’re miserable now you might as well be miserable but with good numbers and no drugs :) Actually high numbers do make you feel low so bringing them down might help you not feel so bad as a bonus. please look at the links I gave. It shows it really can be done.

You can start simply with just meat/fish and salad or veg. Lots of butter and creamy sauces. Snack on cold meats and cheese or nuts. Lots of eggs which are quick and easy and can be done loads of ways. Have some berries handy too. And bacon. Lots of bacon. How could lots of bacon not help you feel better lol
Yes I know. I can do this that and the other but the thing is starting.

You guys have been very friendly and helpful, I just wish there was someone here too, to drag me out of bed and take me outside etc

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Aethalides
I can see, and appreciate, how you feel and lack the motivation. I suffer with depression and, generally, am OK now that I'm on antidepressants that are effective for ME!!! Even so, I have my blips, of course, like any 'normal' person. My problem was motivation to 'give up' foods, and quantity, that I enjoy. Lack of inspiration from the Diabetes Nurse also didn't help so, for a long time, I buried my head.

However, when I learnt about low carb and higher fats etc, I decided this was likely something I could do, even though it meant I'd have to stop eating a lot of the foods I enjoy, especially chocolate & ice cream ;)

In fact, I've become almost addictive to vegetables, especially greens, particularly as I can have butter with them :) Oh, the butter makes them taste so much better ;) Also, it's great that I so rarely feel hungry since going LCHF, so I'm not 'tied to the kitchen' nor controlled by meal times.

I now use the FreeStyle Libre which, I find, is essential for me to keep motivated. Without it, even if for 24 hours, I'll not 'want' to resist having some chocolate, or an ice cream, or whatever. I appreciate this doesn't make sense, but it's my main motivation. Neither do I want to have problems with diabetic neurology, circulation issues with potential amputations, nor harm my eye sight so, every now and again, I have to remind myself.

It will be particularly difficult if your family is far away and therefore the support you'd probably appreciate is likely not so easily available. Have you got some good friends you can confide in? I would certainly see your GP and explain how low/depressed you are feeling - there is a lot your GP could offer which would be very helpful.

Have you read 'The Diabtes Code' by Jason Fung? I found it excellent and certainly gave me further motivation to reduce my carb intake. I find his explanations re Diabetes Type 2 very interesting and, being a rebel myself, I want to prove the usual diet advice from HCPs is so bad LOL ;) As a result, I'm more defiant when I have to see the Diabetic Nurse annually so she can tick the boxes again and question her when she tells me 2 x wheatabix would be better than a piece of cheese for my breakfast (she nearly fell off her chair in shock when, after she asked what I had for breakfast, I said 'cheest!!! "All that fat!!!" was her retort! "All those carbs" I wanted to shout back ;) )

So, please do something to help your situation especially address your low mood. Once your mood is better, I really think you'll be able to deal with your diabetes so much better.

Good luck ;)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know. I can do this that and the other but the thing is starting.

You guys have been very friendly and helpful, I just wish there was someone here too, to drag me out of bed and take me outside etc
I hear you. I’ve been in similar places many times through my adult life. Tiny steps forward are still forward. Try and see each one as something good (rather than beat yourself up for not achieving more). Try and create a virtuos circle even if it’s a tiny one to start with.

Any idea what started this low mood? Anything you could change, once you could summon the motivation?

And please do go have a chat and at least listen to the options the dr can offer.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do what you fancy doing but not binge eat.
Eat a taste cooked breakfast. No toast but plenty of eggs. A weenie sausage is best. Or an intensely meaty one, at least.

There's time to be picky as you progress.

Start on am delicious breakfast not porridge.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I stopped taking my diabetes medicines 2 weeks ago cause I'm fed up with them.

If for some reason you think that's a good plan then I respectfully suggest that you see a doctor sooner rather than later. I can discuss diabetes but depression is not something I that I can comment on, that's best left to a professional.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I think you should see a Doctor. If your mind is not in the right place NO amount of advice about your diet or diabetes will help. It seems that you already know all of that but you are just not in the right frame of mind to do it. Please see a Doctor. x

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
eek!

I feel a tiny wheemsy better today in spite of the skyhigh reading, but I just cannot think about giving up sausages and bread or taters or rice

As for the high fat diet I'm kinda afraid of the high potential cholesterol?

20190418_122506.jpg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to give up sausages. Just get high meat content without carb fillers.