Intermittent 24 hour fasts. Started a few days ago.

charlie000

I've recently started intermittent fasting but haven't noticed a huge change in my blood glucose, or I don't think it has changed, I think it's my gym routine, but I may not be sure.

I have a meal around noon - 14:00 (depending on circumstances). I then do a 24 hour fast, liquids only, tea, water. Tea using double cream.

My BG is as follows:

I go to sleep with BG around 4.2 mmol - 4.6 mmol and sometimes 4.8mmol. I wake up with BG around 4.4mmol - 4.8mmol.

My BG after gym (2 hours of heavy weights) is 4.4mmol.

My eating BGs:
Pre meal: 4.4 - 4.8mmol

2 hours after meal: 5.2mmol - 5.4mmol

3 hours after meal: 4.4mmol - 4.8mmol

I am not a diagnosed diabetic. The hospital consultant said I was in the early stages of diabetes, but on the form it said HBA1C of 105? My GP didn't send me for another HBA1C or any other blood test, and just said exercise more. But I came across LCHF, and my life hasn't been better.

I want to ask, are there any benefits in intermittent fasting for BG and weight loss? and how does it help? Am I doing it right ever 24 hours?

- thank you

Reactions: Serena51

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I've recently started intermittent fasting but haven't noticed a huge change in my blood glucose, or I don't think it has changed, I think it's my gym routine, but I may not be sure.

I have a meal around noon - 14:00 (depending on circumstances). I then do a 24 hour fast, liquids only, tea, water. Tea using double cream.

My BG is as follows:

I go to sleep with BG around 4.2 mmol - 4.6 mmol and sometimes 4.8mmol. I wake up with BG around 4.4mmol - 4.8mmol.

My BG after gym (2 hours of heavy weights) is 4.4mmol.

My eating BGs:
Pre meal: 4.4 - 4.8mmol

2 hours after meal: 5.2mmol - 5.4mmol

3 hours after meal: 4.4mmol - 4.8mmol

I am not a diagnosed diabetic. The hospital consultant said I was in the early stages of diabetes, but on the form it said HBA1C of 105? My GP didn't send me for another HBA1C or any other blood test, and just said exercise more. But I came across LCHF, and my life hasn't been better.

I want to ask, are there any benefits in intermittent fasting for BG and weight loss? and how does it help? Am I doing it right ever 24 hours?

- thank you
Been doing a hell of a lot of reading on this lately myself. The prevailing theory is that fasting not only is useful for blood glucose, reducing insulin and fat but activate sugar cell autophagy. Which is essentially cell cannibalism, recycling the bad stuff and leaving the good stuff, humans are meant to be this way depending on who you ask and after 24 hours of fasting human growth hormone is said to increase by 2000% thus helping to build muscle etc. So in my opinion? You’re doing yourself a favour but it’s always a matter of what’s right for the person. Well done on the blood levels too!

charlie000

Been doing a hell of a lot of reading on this lately myself. The prevailing theory is that fasting not only is useful for blood glucose, reducing insulin and fat but activate sugar cell autophagy. Which is essentially cell cannibalism, recycling the bad stuff and leaving the good stuff, humans are meant to be this way depending on who you ask and after 24 hours of fasting human growth hormone is said to increase by 2000% thus helping to build muscle etc. So in my opinion? You’re doing yourself a favour but it’s always a matter of what’s right for the person. Well done on the blood levels too!
Thank you mate. I was introduced to fasting by my Muslim friend who fasts 30 days every year and I'll be joining him in May - June - but they do a complete fast i.e. no food or drink. For me it'll be one meal, and water or tea, they do one morning meal and one evening meal but nothing in between

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Sounds pretty perfect to me..as well as completely "normal" blood glucose numbers.
May I ask for some advice? Why is it that when I fast my BL's are higher than when 2 hours after eating? As soon as I eat my levels come down. My levels are acceptable but have you any advice. As I am not always hungry to eat lunch.

Reactions: Serena51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask for some advice? Why is it that when I fast my BL's are higher than when 2 hours after eating? As soon as I eat my levels come down. My levels are acceptable but have you any advice. As I am not always hungry to eat lunch.
It might be that your body is taking the opportunity to dump some excess sugar into your blood to use as fuel to get it out of other places. How many carbs roughly are you eating? You may be maintaining too high a level of sugar and constantly topping up so your sugars never get a chance to drop.

Reactions: charlie000

charlie000

Every day... no breakfast.. sometimes lunch, always dinner.
Sometimes more extended fasts up to 7 days no solids (still have coffee with cream and tea with lactofree milk).
Are you never worried about a Hypo? Hypos worry me a lot because I've seen quite a few with other people. I'm not on any medication...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you never worried about a Hypo? Hypos worry me a lot because I've seen quite a few with other people. I'm not on any medication...

No of course not.. its virtually impossible to hypo without medication to cause it..
My bloods can go down to the mid 3's when on day 3 of a fast but apart from the first time when it felt a bit odd there's no problem. Liver soon kicks in and creates some more sugar to get the level up if required.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
It might be that your body is taking the opportunity to dump some excess sugar into your blood to use as fuel to get it out of other places. How many carbs roughly are you eating? You may be maintaining too high a level of sugar and constantly topping up so your sugars never get a chance to drop.
I usually eat around just under 20 carbs a day. For instance last night for evening meal I had minced beef with Cauliflower and Broccoli Mash. That is all I had all day. I have not eaten yet today..My blood is 5.8 I know if I have a babybell cheese,within an hour my blood will be around 5.2 My blood levels seem better when I eat lunch

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually eat around just under 20 carbs a day. For instance last night for evening meal I had minced beef with Cauliflower and Broccoli Mash. That is all I had all day. I have not eaten yet today..My blood is 5.8 I know if I have a babybell cheese,within an hour my blood will be around 5.2 My blood levels seem better when I eat lunch
In that case I'd suggest eating lunch..
I always get my lowest bloods when extended fasting but as we all know everyone is individual.

Reactions: derry60

charlie000

I was given a HBA1C of 105. Of which I'm not sure is correct, I used to have this issue, but now it's gone away strangely. I would concur with @bulkbiker your liver may be dumping excess sugar, to use as fuel.

I don't understand why BG dump decreases when you cut our go low carb. My carbs are extremely low, not even 15g of carbs, probably 10 max! A lot lower than 200+ carbs a day that I was doing...

I ALSO starteed heavy weight lifting and became more active... it was magic

charlie000

It's not just carbs that affect your BG. I would switch to Feta cheese. It may not be lunch that you're eating, it may be the type of food.

An example is, when I used Olive Pomace Oil, my BG soared to around 8, but came down. It is advertised as 0 carb but I don't know what affected it, so I stick to Ghee and normal oil.

charlie000

No of course not.. its virtually impossible to hypo without medication to cause it..
My bloods can go down to the mid 3's when on day 3 of a fast but apart from the first time when it felt a bit odd there's no problem. Liver soon kicks in and creates some more sugar to get the level up if required.
I will give it a go soon. Getting used to the 24 hour fasts at the moment!

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thank you mate. I was introduced to fasting by my Muslim friend who fasts 30 days every year and I'll be joining him in May - June - but they do a complete fast i.e. no food or drink. For me it'll be one meal, and water or tea, they do one morning meal and one evening meal but nothing in between
Wishing you all the luck on that one then my friend, hope it goes well but make sure not to push yourself too far. Eat if you do start to feel ill! Planning on doing an extended fast myself soon, try and get my levels down because I have a feeling I have waaaay too much fat to lose so hopefully along with training it'll help.

Reactions: charlie000

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"I was given a HBA1C of 105"

My advice FWIW - go back to the doctor and tell him/her to repeat the test, as unless something very odd is happening at times when you haven't self-tested (e.g. when sleeping - highly unlikely), then your GP should be seriously scratching their respective head at an HbA1c = 105 mol/mmol.

If you genuinely had an HbA1c of 105, and a GP (Consultant? really?) that suggested you were only in "the early stages of diabetes" - get a new consultant because the old one is broken! ;-).

charlie000

Wishing you all the luck on that one then my friend, hope it goes well but make sure not to push yourself too far. Eat if you do start to feel ill! Planning on doing an extended fast myself soon, try and get my levels down because I have a feeling I have waaaay too much fat to lose so hopefully along with training it'll help.

I’m doing it for fat loss tooo. Note fat loss not weight loss...

charlie000

"I was given a HBA1C of 105"

My advice FWIW - go back to the doctor and tell him/her to repeat the test, as unless something very odd is happening at times when you haven't self-tested (e.g. when sleeping - highly unlikely), then your GP should be seriously scratching their respective head at an HbA1c = 105 mol/mmol.

If you genuinely had an HbA1c of 105, and a GP (Consultant? really?) that suggested you were only in "the early stages of diabetes" - get a new consultant because the old one is broken! ;-).

This was an A&E doctor

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was an A&E doctor
Doesn’t much matter who it was. You can’t possibly be prediabetic with a hb1ac that high. And with figures like you’re providing above then of the two options prediabetic looks more likely than hb1ac of 105. Maybe it was read wrong! I’d be getting it double checked though, though getting a copy of it from you gp might clarify it if it’s just a misreading mishearing situation.