Meaty May - for those with carnivorous tendencies

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from World Carnivore month in January, a few of us have branded May as Meaty May, with the intention of eating carnivorously for the month.

Tagging @bulkbiker and @wiflib so they know this is here. All welcome to join.

Definitions are your own, but for me it’s any animal based produce - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, a bit of cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t see myself reintroducing veg by then (if ever), so will be joining you - in the sense of ‘business as usual’ :D But I won’t be doing a 30 days of steak thing. I love variety too much for that! ;)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I love salad swimming in EVOO too much, but I wish you all well and will watch the progress with interest.

I bought myself a huge steak for Saturday dinner and was determined to just eat that, but in the end couldn't stop having just a few leaves in oil :banghead:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm afraid I don't think I can join in this time as the veg and salad growing in my garden will need eating - but good luck to everyone participating. :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag.

I’m going to stick to animal protein that will be cooked in ghee if needed, eggs and maximum of 50 mls of double cream a day.

The challenge will be the food at the PHC. It’s all low carb but utterly amazing.

My markers will be weight.

D

Deleted member 308541

I like the sound of this diet carniiforous way of life, I would have a crack at it but I do like my veggies with my meat, a long time habit that goes back to the UK meat rationing days.

Gotta put an order into the butchers for next month so will put extra meat on the list for solidarity with you carni's. :D

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
All up for meaty may that is for sure!

Needing to up my fat ratio a little bit I guess but going to be stocking up tomorrow at the local butcher whom I imagine I shall be getting very familiar with for this.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was about 30mls of cream and 300g of streaky bacon and I’ve also been on my first run of the year after injury. I hate running and I reserve that word for special things, running is one of them but the health benefits are enormous. Exercise also kills my appetite and motivates me so a win win.

I’m repeating it all tomorrow.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I am, er, a vegetarian mostly, but MrZF eats plenty of meat. In solidarity, I pledge to cook him one new meat thing in May. (I'd pledge to do more but I need my goals realistic!). Of course nothing that I know he hates, and nothing remotely like what the offal-consuming group consider tasty. Maybe curried chicken- I make chicken and I make a veggie curry (sadly never to be again) so why not combine!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been eating only meat these last few days and OMAD. Hardly a meal really, more three slices of pork yesterday and a bratwurst and two slices of salami today. I’m not hungry at all but I’m longing for cheese.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following on from World Carnivore month in January, a few of us have branded May as Meaty May, with the intention of eating carnivorously for the month.

Definitions are your own, but for me it’s any animal based produce - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, a bit of cream.
Can you explain the rationale behind this, please @Goonergal? Just so those who have not heard of this before can vet better understanding.
Thanks.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only thing that worries me is the "lean" bit...

I’ve eaten quite a bit of meat from this company, I think it’s just that particular pack that is marketed as ‘lean’.
They are quite focussed on the keto/low carb thing and everything I’ve had is very good.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I shall gladly join in this meaty month of May. I will use BG values as my indicator to track progress eating meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, and drinking tea and coffee. The weather here is now also good enough to record "starkers weight" early in the mornings. Maybe I will also record feeling of well being, mood and I guess constipation /or lack thereof .

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you explain the rationale behind this, please @Goonergal? Just so those who have not heard of this before can vet better understanding.
Thanks.

@Pipp thanks for the tag and apologies for the slow response. Been offline a lot recently - visiting elderly father and catching up with not often seen younger sister who lives abroad.

For me carnivore is a natural extension of eating very low carb/keto. For me it produces excellent blood glucose control, provides an extra boost of energy and helps me to manage some remaining food craving/addiction issues by helping me to eat only to satiety. It has the added bonus of being a way of eating I enjoy and fitting easily into a busy lifestyle.

Editing to add a link to @bulkbiker s excellent thread with resources and information about zero carb/carnivore for those wanting to do further research.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb-carnivore.159838/

Reactions: kitedoc