What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jjraak every time I've felt that, my bg has been sky high, my heart bouncing around, and it turns out I'm dehydrated. Drink and drink, numbers come down, and fiiiinally I recycle some of that water.
But good to know what a false hypo feels like!
@DJC3 I'll post a pic. No less ridiculous than a fuzzy bike seat
@SaskiaKC that cat story is hilarious! ALL cats love boxes. There is a really cool Youtube video of a guy building a whole wall of boxes for a very happy cat.
IMG_0056.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a horrible feeling isnt it jjraak

Thanks for that @karen8967

But I'd never compare it to what any T1D suffers during hypo.
I stubbed my toe, you guys break a leg.
Doesn't compare...but yeah, I did feel s****.

Going to try some proper fasting somewhere down the road, but that 'f'eeling' just puts me off trying for now .

Maybe I'm just allergic to not eating. :D

Once I ate numbers returned to a more normal range for me..(have to admit i WAS starving hungry, and wolfed my dinner )
Bed was 5.7...awake now because missus up with toothache, and that B***** cramp is bugging me tonight..used mag spray, but perhaps I should be back on the mag tablets.

Long winey post, when I think life is GOOD...

better prepare yourselves for war and peace if I ever get proper poorly, like Man Flu ..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Cheers again, going to give in and get up for a cuppa and try walk it off.x

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Saskia
How are you and the KC today? The lovely spring weather here has been replaced by more typical April showers, wind and cool nights. Hope you are cosy.

I just wanted to update you on the cosy front. The KittenCat is curled up on her fleece blanket, snoring. I can't think of a cosier sound than that of a cat snoring.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @SaskiaKC
She's reluctant to go..phobic, me thinks..... and just hoping it passes off. Usually does.

As for dentists...no Friday normal day..seems an odd one, tbh

X

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just wanted to update you on the cosy front. The KittenCat is curled up on her fleece blanket, snoring. I can't think of a cosier sound than that of a cat snoring.

Got to agree.

That sounds idyllic.

Restfull night/day to you and kitten cat .

X

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jjraak I have taken oral magnesium for 20 years, my mag is not low, I do a foam rub twice a day, I walk, I stretch like a fiend, and I still have cramps. Sorry you are having to get up. I hate that because it usually means sleep is over.
@SaskiaKC and here I thought the Friday dentist off thing was just mine de-stressing from having his m-i-l with dementia living at his house!
Wonder what my bedtime bg will be...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5am fasting blood sugars 10.8.
So new pricking thing and another try two minutes later and it’s now 9.8.
I am sure this thing spits out random readings. And it’s a new one...
But I like to see a single figure. It makes me feel better for the day.

Some of you were talking about cramp, leg cramps I am assuming. I have always had this (since I was a child), badly some nights. But when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, a diabetic friend told me the best thing I could do was to drink tonic water with quinine in it. But he didn’t explain why.

I couldn’t drink tonic water neat (even just sipping it), it had me running for the toilet for number 2’s!!!

Then a friend said mix the tonic water with plain water. So I put the tonic water in a pre-used small water bottle, to about half full, and filled it up with ordinary water.

So that worked out fine for me, I just needed it watered down. As long as I take a sip of this about twice a night, it sorts out my cramps. I just leave it by the bed and the bottle lasts me 5 to 7 days.

And it means I can now do my gentle exercises in the morning, which I do immediately I wake up. Before, I was crippled with cramp in the night, and doing my morning exercises. I couldn’t do my morning exercises before.

I don’t know if any of you have heard of doing this.

Have a good day x
>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@gennepher I had growing pains as a child, and mild cramps from time to time. I tried tonic water before bed maybe 25 yrs ago, but for other reasons it didn't. Something else that did work for me (please don't laugh!) is putting an unwrapped bar of soap, preferably Ivory, Inside the sheets. I used to put mine under the bottom sheet.
Then there's magnesium lotion/pill.
I have to be very careful any time of night using the lower leg muscles....

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, went to bed on a 4.6 and woke to a 5.6, can't be bad :) Salmon salad seems to have been a good choice yesterday.

On the subject of leg cramps, which I used to have every night, I take magnesium tablets and also have a spray version should it get really bad. Since taking the tabs I only suffer cramps maybe once a month.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I had growing pains as a child, and mild cramps from time to time. I tried tonic water before bed maybe 25 yrs ago, but for other reasons it didn't. Something else that did work for me (please don't laugh!) is putting an unwrapped bar of soap, preferably Ivory, Inside the sheets. I used to put mine under the bottom sheet.
Then there's magnesium lotion/pill.
I have to be very careful any time of night using the lower leg muscles....

Hi
No, I won’t laugh about the Ivory soap.
I am sure I read about that pre-Internet days, a very long time ago. I had completely forgotten until you just mentioned it.
Actually I have some Cussons Imperial Leather Ivory soap!!!

I know there is some magnesium in my multivitamin pill, but it is probably a nominal amount.

I have never heard of magnesium lotion. Will google that. Thanks.
>^..^<

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. Had lots of carbs yesterday including a lovely lunchtime Chicken Waldorf Salad, homemade with of course apple. Baked beans with the breakfast, Ryvita with guacamole as my supper starter.

Was expecting to be punished and got a flippin' FBG of 9.8 just now. But I had my suspicions that my fingers were wet from hand-washing which put moisture on the test strip contacts.

Dried hands, got new test strip untouched except by tissue paper, repeated test, with a result of 8.5 mmo/lt, my usual.

Hope I'm not droning on too much. To quote the late George Burns, after he spent about a minute lighting a cigar on live TV, "Sorry to keep you all waiting, When you get to my age, this gets to be exciting".

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.7 for me today. I am off to the eye clinic this morning for more tests and to discuss treatment. My sight has been getting worse in one eye for 5 months now so they really ought to have had me in sooner. OH has low grade private health insurance with job so hope they can help me when I get more info today.
@jjraak I am sorry you had such a horrible experience. If it doesny suit you fasting dont do it....if your numbers are higher than you like its probably your body readjusting after your hols. You will get there but step away from the cheesecake:rolleyes: hope you are netter today.
@zauberflote what a beautiful ginger cat. I have a soft spot for ginger cats. Our previos Ginger was a right character we had him for 16 years broke my heart when he died.
@SaskiaKC you have been busy. Good news about the glasses. I hate having my photo taken also. Bobs and Daisy have bunk beds in the boot room at night though Daisy prefers to sleep on the counter, a soft bed each by the radiator in the sitting room and two designated armchairs with fleece rugs. But they prefer to be with me when I sit on the sofa one either side and if Bobs gets closer Daisy hisses.
Sorry about all the various cramps folks, one thing I dont have to worry about, yet.
Have a good Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got to spend a delightful 45 minutes with 3 technicians trying on frames, getting their (hopefully) honest feedback about which ones looked the best.
So important to chose the right ones Saskia...as Barry Humphries says they are face furniture after all;)...I've had some disaters:nailbiting:

Last edited: