What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3

Did read somewhere that there's a school if thinking the body has its own defense mechanism to stop us damaging it..and beyond a certain point it rebels and fights to refuse to let us lose weight beyond that set metabolic limit.
I suppose it's highly likely it has others mechanisms to stop us in other matrixes.

Mmh . Worrying to think inside each of us is / might be our own 'HAL' from 2001 a space Odyssey...:wideyed:

Oh blimey! That is a scary thought.
Think there is a sort of truth in it though.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just realised my post read the wrong way - I didn’t mean it was a surprising fbg as you are usually higher - I meant it was surprisingly good considering pork pies etc. Hope I didn’t give offence, it sounds quite patronising now I’ve read it back but that really wasn’t how it sounded in my head!

My fbg is also rising atm and seems to go through these cycles, although never usually quite this high. Like you I’m trying not to dwell and hope it’ll all be alright soon.
I wasn't offended at all I knew what you meant...it was a decent number in view of what I ate...speaking of eating I've just ate the last mini pork pie:nailbiting:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Saskia
How are you and the KC today? The lovely spring weather here has been replaced by more typical April showers, wind and cool nights. Hope you are cosy.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.5 this morning

late posting because I was running a bit late this morning and on my way out volunteering for the day. It turned into a really pleasant day but now it's started to rain which will be a relief for the plants I think :)

Hope your day has been a good one :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.5 this morning

late posting because I was running a bit late this morning and on my way out volunteering for the day. It turned into a really pleasant day but now it's started to rain which will be a relief for the plants I think :)

Hope your day has been a good one :)
The voice of reason has returned. Glad your fbg seems to be returning to your normal.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 6.9 high for me these days. Schedule completely shot bc of being on vacation. That's my excuse!
Ugh @gennepher many hugs for your situation. Bureaucracy is the pits. Also poor kitty! If your avatar is your cat, I have to tell you! I had a black cat named Jenny until a couple of years ago. At least half Siamese. Neurotic, huge vocabulary, could cuss you out in 4 languages...
@PenguinMum too-- I'm on app on iphone and subscribe isn't one of my choices
emoji53.png
just going to have to remember where it is. Usually I am automatically taken to "last post read" in a thread I've posted in. Tags? I see no tags...
emoji12.png
World Penguin Day eh! Love it!
And re your Ploughman's eating only cheese, I remember an occasion in a UK airport in 1994 when I was avoiding white bread (as always actually) and had to buy the whole tuna sub to get the tuna salad, and they were being made to order, so really they could have wrapped a blob of tuna, right?
@ianpspurs oh man yess I like your thinking on the stress thing, and the relation of body composition to what happens how when. I don't have the free brain space atm for your kind of self-experiment (or whatever we'd call it). I am behind you in LC by (?)years? and IF through lunch still helps, some days tremendously. But numbers still All Over the map, and since all I do is keep a general idea of circumstances in my head, I'm more or less flailing in the dark. As to LC being village shop, I agree and disagree. You've seen me declare delicious stuff you wouldn't feed your chooks, and I admit I'm a nuts and seeds lover. My range of taste is Middle American... so a much lower bar than yours! Fruit, however.... I'm sad about fruit....and all-vegetables-all-the-time.
@OrsonKartt I still have the touring bike I bought in 1973! I also love mine. Haven't ridden in some years; too many arthritic hip/hip replacements spread too far apart. All better now, must get new tires and brake pads and ride!
@DJC3 how cool to find long ago friends like that!
@goacher how frustrating! I'd agree on the "perma cold". Have you seen a dr about it....?
@Bubbsie my son's spandex biking shorts just sprang regrettably to mind-- they had a gel crotch liner. May still be available? And, where I come from "nix" is frome the Yiddish frome the German "nichts", meaning...."nothing". Bet it's the same derivation. Or is this a specifically current T May ref?
@Pipp years ago I read something that made reference to some science about just smelling sweet stuff sending your system out of whack. You were breathing sugar for real! I have to have a piece of 90% choc in my mouth to bake sugar sweets safely!
@OrsonKartt here "to chivy" means to harass or pester into doing a thing.
@Debandez wow for Telegraph-- this is on top of the Guardian, was it? (sorry, can't keep track of your newspapers...)
@jjraak oh my gosh I had inner hysterics reading your fractured Two Towers version. Did Smeagol and Gollum try to talk each other out of it first?
Thanks @HarrisonK I use this only on my phone, never use computer, nor my alerts, etc etc, so I have to use my head to remember where I am. I think I've got it!
Memo to self: stop looking in mirror while dressing. It's depressing for the opposite reason it used to be! I never knew the belly could be wrinkled!!!
emoji33.png
When I was 42 I lost this much weight on low cal low fat, as one did, and swore to myself it was going to be the
FBG 6.9 high for me these days. Schedule completely shot bc of being on vacation. That's my excuse!
Ugh @gennepher many hugs for your situation. Bureaucracy is the pits. Also poor kitty! If your avatar is your cat, I have to tell you! I had a black cat named Jenny until a couple of years ago. At least half Siamese. Neurotic, huge vocabulary, could cuss you out in 4 languages...
@PenguinMum too-- I'm on app on iphone and subscribe isn't one of my choices just going to have to remember where it is. Usually I am automatically taken to "last post read" in a thread I've posted in. Tags? I see no tags... World Penguin Day eh! Love it!
And re your Ploughman's eating only cheese, I remember an occasion in a UK airport in 1994 when I was avoiding white bread (as always actually) and had to buy the whole tuna sub to get the tuna salad, and they were being made to order, so really they could have wrapped a blob of tuna, right?
@ianpspurs oh man yess I like your thinking on the stress thing, and the relation of body composition to what happens how when. I don't have the free brain space atm for your kind of self-experiment (or whatever we'd call it). I am behind you in LC by (?)years? and IF through lunch still helps, some days tremendously. But numbers still All Over the map, and since all I do is keep a general idea of circumstances in my head, I'm more or less flailing in the dark. As to LC being village shop, I agree and disagree. You've seen me declare delicious stuff you wouldn't feed your chooks, and I admit I'm a nuts and seeds lover. My range of taste is Middle American... so a much lower bar than yours! Fruit, however.... I'm sad about fruit....and all-vegetables-all-the-time.
@OrsonKartt I still have the touring bike I bought in 1973! I also love mine. Haven't ridden in some years; too many arthritic hip/hip replacements spread too far apart. All better now, must get new tires and brake pads and ride!
@DJC3 how cool to find long ago friends like that!
@goacher how frustrating! I'd agree on the "perma cold". Have you seen a dr about it....?
@Bubbsie my son's spandex biking shorts just sprang regrettably to mind-- they had a gel crotch liner. May still be available? And, where I come from "nix" is frome the Yiddish frome the German "nichts", meaning...."nothing". Bet it's the same derivation. Or is this a specifically current T May ref?
@Pipp years ago I read something that made reference to some science about just smelling sweet stuff sending your system out of whack. You were breathing sugar for real! I have to have a piece of 90% choc in my mouth to bake sugar sweets safely!
@OrsonKartt here "to chivy" means to harass or pester into doing a thing.
@Debandez wow for Telegraph-- this is on top of the Guardian, was it? (sorry, can't keep track of your newspapers...)
@jjraak oh my gosh I had inner hysterics reading your fractured Two Towers version. Did Smeagol and Gollum try to talk each other out of it first?
Thanks @HarrisonK I use this only on my phone, never use computer, nor my alerts, etc etc, so I have to use my head to remember where I am. I think I've got it!
Memo to self: stop looking in mirror while dressing. It's depressing for the opposite reason it used to be! I never knew the belly could be wrinkled!!!When I was 42 I lost this much weight on low cal low fat, as one did, and swore to myself it was going to be the Last Time because I already knew older skin was not as elastic. Now seeing non-elastic in spades,,,,, yuk!
Hi.
Thank you.
The hugs are welcomed x
My cat is very bossy and bosses me around!
>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum haha what came into my mind was May Queen.

@gennepher my KittenCat says to tell your cat that she doesn't like thunderstorms either; her go-to is the closet to hide it out.

@Bubbsie and @Bildad I just learned that they make fleece seat savers for bicycles like the ones they make for horse saddles.

bikeseat.jpg
Aww...poor KittenCat.
I have a soggy moggy in bed with me now. I was tired when I came in and went to bed, and poor moggy got suddenly rained on much to his disgust...

>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Oh wow @Goacher55 how frustrating!!! Your inner arms must look like hamburger! Not to mention, ouch!
@ianpspurs and @DJC3 this sounds like exactly what @Listlad was talking about in another thread several weeks ago, albeit for different reasons. Every body is different, so I guess we're safe if we assume nothing and expect anything. Complicated doesn't begin to describe it.
@PenguinMum I'm on vacation! I can do my equivalent of nothing/"wasting" time! I can spend hours chatting with friends! We don't "do" things on vacation. We come to this house and stay put and either work or relax. Walks and groceries is the farthest we get except an annual summer family sail to an island for a picnic that's been going on for generations.
My fruit bowls are dumping grounds. One had a cat in it once. One of them actually has bananas and avocados in it but the rest? I clean out each time we move.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
had my first wobble since DX

you know that dodgy feeling.. the false hypo.

tonight i felt it again for the first time in months.
had nuts for breakfast and skipped lunch
felt 'rough' 'clammy' 'drained'.
got home ok, reading was 4,7 lowest in a long time, if not ever.

seems like MY inner Hal doesn't like not to be fed
at its regular times...:rolleyes:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
had my first wobble since DX

you know that dodgy feeling.. the false hypo.

tonight i felt it again for the first time in months.
had nuts for breakfast and skipped lunch
felt 'rough' 'clammy' 'drained'.
got home ok, reading was 4,7 lowest in a long time, if not ever.

seems like MY inner Hal doesn't like not to be fed
at its regular times...:rolleyes:
Its a horrible feeling isnt it jjraak

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow @Goacher55 how frustrating!!! Your inner arms must look like hamburger! Not to mention, ouch!
@ianpspurs and @DJC3 this sounds like exactly what @Listlad was talking about in another thread several weeks ago, albeit for different reasons. Every body is different, so I guess we're safe if we assume nothing and expect anything. Complicated doesn't begin to describe it.
@PenguinMum I'm on vacation! I can do my equivalent of nothing/"wasting" time! I can spend hours chatting with friends! We don't "do" things on vacation. We come to this house and stay put and either work or relax. Walks and groceries is the farthest we get except an annual summer family sail to an island for a picnic that's been going on for generations.
My fruit bowls are dumping grounds. One had a cat in it once. One of them actually has bananas and avocados in it but the rest? I clean out each time we move.

Yes that seems to be the extent of it - assume nothing.
I love the thought of a cat in the fruit bowl! Cats are so odd, I bet there were comfy cushions and sunny windowsills it could have sat on but it chose a fruit bowl.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Saskia
How are you and the KC today? The lovely spring weather here has been replaced by more typical April showers, wind and cool nights. Hope you are cosy.

Thanks, @PenguinMum . Actually I just got back from 3 hours at the optician's, dealing with the red tape of the paperwork involved with a voucher that was supposed to pay for an eye exam and a pair of glasses.

In summary: I got the refraction/prescription exam, and a pair of glasses, and only had to pay $58 out of pocket for an anti-glare coating. I also got the news that I have cataracts. But the good news is that they are not noticeably affecting my vision, and I have no plans to have surgery anytime soon.

After all the staring at letters across the room and having my eyes stared into with a VERY BRIGHT light, once I could see again I got to spend a delightful 45 minutes with 3 technicians trying on frames, getting their (hopefully) honest feedback about which ones looked the best. We even roped in another customer.

The new ones should be ready in a week-to-10-days (the standard time for anything to take to get ready), and I have promised a friend I will have someone take my picture wearing them and e-mail them to her. I don't get my picture taken. I hate having my picture taken. But she asked for one, so I will send her one. And to be honest, it was kinda nice to be asked. She used to live near me but moved nearly 200 miles away nearly 2 years ago.

When I got home the KittenCat got very vocal. I thought hugs were on order -- nope. Nap? Nope. Food? Nope. Different food? Well ... nope. Cuddles? Nope. Still different food? Meh. So now we are sitting at opposite ends of the sofa, and one of us is having a bath! ^. .^

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello peeps well by lunch time my stabby thing gave me 2 readings 4.6 and 5.4. Same drop of blood, sane testing strips pot, bizarre anyhow I digress, just been to my GP for my interim bloods.. I’m always awkward for getting blood out of me but 2 blood remover people, 3 attempts each . No blood so I’m rebooked in next Monday.

Good grief, Goacher! How horrible!

I still have the bruise on my arm from where they took blood a week and a day ago. The lab tech looked at my inside elbow and said, Oh, what a nice juicy vein! A vampire would love you!

I just looked at her and said "Dracula, eat your heart out." All this while I was being very brave by sitting up, in the laboratory, instead of lying down in the exam room where I usually have blood drawn because I am blood-phobic and used to think I would faint. I have never actually fainted in my life, but whatever.

I can stand in a barnyard holding a horse who is having fluid visibly drained from his fetlock joints with a huge horse needle and be just fine. But blood in a lab? And vampire jokes?

I wish I could send you one of my elbow veins for your blood draws.

Oh, and BTW, I just noticed on the bulletin board in our lobby that I have a new neighbor ... from England! :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that seems to be the extent of it - assume nothing.
I love the thought of a cat in the fruit bowl! Cats are so odd, I bet there were comfy cushions and sunny windowsills it could have sat on but it chose a fruit bowl.

When the KittenCat was a kitten she used to love to curl up in a small basket on the bathroom floor in front of the heating vent. When she outgrew it, I replaced it with a larger basket.

My older kitty loved to curl up in packing boxes.