What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @jjraak , though the only flaw in your logic is that you will never again be able to sneak a forbidden sliver of cake, because now she knows what you get up to.

I have mixed feelings about my lower than yesterday reading 7.5 today (9.3 yesterday) much higher than usual. Maybe I breathed in the sugar from the nutella chocolate cake I made for my family.

Reactions: trick60

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SaskiaKC well you should have gone to bed too lol. My cats are named after food and dance: Mango and Tango. They are orange, and we were looking for original "orange cat" names.
Many congratulations on weight loss @True Blue !!!!!
@Bildad ouch my sitzer is sympathetically painful. I got what felt like bone bruises once from a long ride after no practise. Could barely walk the next day!
35 more posts to catch up, but to keep au courant 6.9 FBG. Vacation schedule wacko paybacks. I hope. Going for a walk.
I don't remember WHERE I found this thread and don't know if the phone app will let me search! Um, are we in Off Topic>General Chat?

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum haha what came into my mind was May Queen.

@gennepher my KittenCat says to tell your cat that she doesn't like thunderstorms either; her go-to is the closet to hide it out.

@Bubbsie and @Bildad I just learned that they make fleece seat savers for bicycles like the ones they make for horse saddles.

bikeseat.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My FBG has risen lately DJC...even on low carb days but it's not something I am going to dwell on...I've had a spate of this before & it usually settles after a short while...I was a bit miffed at the choice of food available but eased into the contraband surprisingly well...I savoured every crisp as for the mini pork pie...hmmn hmmn hmmn.

Just realised my post read the wrong way - I didn’t mean it was a surprising fbg as you are usually higher - I meant it was surprisingly good considering pork pies etc. Hope I didn’t give offence, it sounds quite patronising now I’ve read it back but that really wasn’t how it sounded in my head!

My fbg is also rising atm and seems to go through these cycles, although never usually quite this high. Like you I’m trying not to dwell and hope it’ll all be alright soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 hugs for the 7 not like you hope you are not coming down with anything. Dont let it spoil your meet up coffee with your friend in any way!
Newsflash: today is World Penguin Day....no cards in the post please..we want to save the planet for these lovely creatures.

Happy world Penguin day! I saw it in the news and smiled at the thought.
Don’t think I’m coming down with anything, thanks for the hugs though - always welcome. A bit of a reduction in exercise is all I can put it down to as my diet is much the same. Makes me worried for when I am older and can’t manage a lot of exercise though. What happens then? Diabetes just takes it’s toll I suppose.

Reactions: HarryBeau

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
FBG 6.9 high for me these days. Schedule completely shot bc of being on vacation. That's my excuse!
Ugh @gennepher many hugs for your situation. Bureaucracy is the pits. Also poor kitty! If your avatar is your cat, I have to tell you! I had a black cat named Jenny until a couple of years ago. At least half Siamese. Neurotic, huge vocabulary, could cuss you out in 4 languages...
@PenguinMum too-- I'm on app on iphone and subscribe isn't one of my choices just going to have to remember where it is. Usually I am automatically taken to "last post read" in a thread I've posted in. Tags? I see no tags... World Penguin Day eh! Love it!
And re your Ploughman's eating only cheese, I remember an occasion in a UK airport in 1994 when I was avoiding white bread (as always actually) and had to buy the whole tuna sub to get the tuna salad, and they were being made to order, so really they could have wrapped a blob of tuna, right?
@ianpspurs oh man yess I like your thinking on the stress thing, and the relation of body composition to what happens how when. I don't have the free brain space atm for your kind of self-experiment (or whatever we'd call it). I am behind you in LC by (?)years? and IF through lunch still helps, some days tremendously. But numbers still All Over the map, and since all I do is keep a general idea of circumstances in my head, I'm more or less flailing in the dark. As to LC being village shop, I agree and disagree. You've seen me declare delicious stuff you wouldn't feed your chooks, and I admit I'm a nuts and seeds lover. My range of taste is Middle American... so a much lower bar than yours! Fruit, however.... I'm sad about fruit....and all-vegetables-all-the-time.
@OrsonKartt I still have the touring bike I bought in 1973! I also love mine. Haven't ridden in some years; too many arthritic hip/hip replacements spread too far apart. All better now, must get new tires and brake pads and ride!
@DJC3 how cool to find long ago friends like that!
@goacher how frustrating! I'd agree on the "perma cold". Have you seen a dr about it....?
@Bubbsie my son's spandex biking shorts just sprang regrettably to mind-- they had a gel crotch liner. May still be available? And, where I come from "nix" is frome the Yiddish frome the German "nichts", meaning...."nothing". Bet it's the same derivation. Or is this a specifically current T May ref?
@Pipp years ago I read something that made reference to some science about just smelling sweet stuff sending your system out of whack. You were breathing sugar for real! I have to have a piece of 90% choc in my mouth to bake sugar sweets safely!
@OrsonKartt here "to chivy" means to harass or pester into doing a thing.
@Debandez wow for Telegraph-- this is on top of the Guardian, was it? (sorry, can't keep track of your newspapers...)
@jjraak oh my gosh I had inner hysterics reading your fractured Two Towers version. Did Smeagol and Gollum try to talk each other out of it first?
Thanks @HarrisonK I use this only on my phone, never use computer, nor my alerts, etc etc, so I have to use my head to remember where I am. I think I've got it!
Memo to self: stop looking in mirror while dressing. It's depressing for the opposite reason it used to be! I never knew the belly could be wrinkled!!!When I was 42 I lost this much weight on low cal low fat, as one did, and swore to myself it was going to be the Last Time because I already knew older skin was not as elastic. Now seeing non-elastic in spades,,,,, yuk!

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello peeps well by lunch time my stabby thing gave me 2 readings 4.6 and 5.4. Same drop of blood, sane testing strips pot, bizarre anyhow I digress, just been to my GP for my interim bloods.. I’m always awkward for getting blood out of me but 2 blood remover people, 3 attempts each . No blood so I’m rebooked in next Monday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't hug and like same post. Like for the chance to meet up, hug for the fbg. Re fbg: Only a fortunate few seem able to keep theirs within a narrow range. It could be seen as unhelpful to lead members to believe LC or any other diet alone will smooth out the peaks and troughs caused by genetics, environment and pure chance.
On contraband/off piste/feral seems to me LC is akin to selecting from a fairly small village shop - limited range. Full range of tastes needs the big superstore from time to time.

Thanks for the hug and the like. Happy to take both!
It does seem that there is a law of diminishing returns at work here. I seem to have to take ever more extreme measures to keep at a ‘good’ level. I know you’ve been having similar experiences. I’ve not been doing as much exercise as I was a month ago so expected a bit of a blip, but I’m doing more than I was a year ago when my bg started to drop properly. Same as diet, Ive pretty much given up trying to have lc desserts/ sweet treats apart from a bit of the bitter 100% chocolate so carbs are much lower than initially yet bg rising wheras they were originally dropping.
Seems to me that one’s body will reset itself at whatever level and then any change which is perceived as unhelpful will cause an increase.
I might be able to bring bg down with a bit of IF but then I’m worried I’ll have to keep at it, and I really don’t want to. I just get too hungry then I get ratty.
I’m going to stick to my current acceptable regime but making sure I do at least 20-30 mins of exercise daily. and try not to get down about it, there’s no point.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy world Penguin day! I saw it in the news and smiled at the thought.
Don’t think I’m coming down with anything, thanks for the hugs though - always welcome. A bit of a reduction in exercise is all I can put it down to as my diet is much the same. Makes me worried for when I am older and can’t manage a lot of exercise though. What happens then? Diabetes just takes it’s toll I suppose. [/QUOTE]
I raised that point way back in the mists of time. A few Happy Clappers seemed convinced LC would not only sort it but mean you would never grow old. They were miffed that I was not wholly convinced. Also, was just writing this when you posted a reply to my earlier post. Those ideas are what I have been kicking around for at least a year. My body is now wholly different to what it was 4 years ago IF/OMAD has very different effects at my current level of body fat. Right now I have sorted waking up time so I will see what June's bloods reveal. Take care.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I raised that point way back in the mists of time. A few Happy Clappers seemed convinced LC would not only sort it but mean you would never grow old. They were miffed that I was not wholly convinced.

Think you’re right. It’s just far too complicated a system to be sorted out by counting carbs. That’s just one tiny aspect and as I see it Ive broken my system so I can do nothing but patch it up here and there where it springs a leak. I think your enquiry about other data was a good one. I hate data crunching though and I’d go mad I think if I started delving into all the variables. I want it to be simple, but it isn’t.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think you’re right. I hate data crunching though and I’d go mad I think if I started delving into all the variables. I want it to be simple, but it isn’t. It’s just far too complicated a system to be sorted out by counting carbs.
It is always the variables:angelic: You mean you don't eat carbs and macros? I bet you eat food - get with the program sister:angelic:
The notion that people just keep continually reducing carbs is equally as daft as the eat carbs and increase medication idea. I am not anti-LC I just think it is much more complicated.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in...
@Goacher55 what an anti climax for you. Please try to put it out of your mind till Monday. Thanks loved the e card...that penguin moves the way I do lol.
@DJC3 thanks also. I hope you had a nice catch up with your friend, looking forward to seeing you in June. I cant offer any help to you or Ian about LC...its all a mystery to me but I try and be as good as I can because I am scared of what the future holds. Agree with you both though setting ever lower strict regimes isnt for everyone and I am not prepared to go full on carni though if I lived in Cornwall I would eat fish a lot more.
@zauberflote I am amazed at how much you are thinking of us all while on vacation..beyond kind!
@jjraak if its confession time I had 4 Lindor spherical objects (dont want to get into any more trouble) that were lurking in the fruit bowl from Easter. Only this house could kerp choc in the fruit bowl.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always the variables:angelic: You mean you don't eat carbs and macros? I bet you eat food - get with the program sister:angelic:
The notion that people just keep continually reducing carbs is equally as daft as the eat carbs and increase medication idea. I am not anti-LC I just think it is much more complicated.

I think we are agreeing! I certainly agree with your last sentence

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to me that one’s body will reset itself at whatever level and then any change which is perceived as unhelpful will cause an increase.

Hi @DJC3

Did read somewhere that there's a school of thinking that the body has its own defense mechanism to stop us damaging it..and beyond a certain point it rebels and fights to refuse to let us lose weight beyond that set metabolic limit.
I suppose it's highly likely it has others mechanisms to stop us in other matrixes.

Mmh . Worrying to think inside each of us is / might be our own 'HAL' from 2001 a space Odyssey...:wideyed:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checking in...

@DJC3 thanks also. I hope you had a nice catch up with your friend, looking forward to seeing you in June.
@jjraak if its confession time I had 4 Lindor spherical objects (dont want to get into any more trouble) that were lurking in the fruit bowl from Easter. Only this house could kerp choc in the fruit bowl.

Thanks, we did have a really good catch up. I expect anyone looking at us would just have seen a couple of old ladies, but we thought we hadn’t changed at all! Yes I’m looking forward to meeting in June too - we’ll have to wear a red carnation and carry a copy of the Times to recognise eachother!

No it’s not just you - we have a packet of fudge in our fruit bowl ( and a spectacles case which has lost it’s specs)