Your favorite computer OS?

lindisfel

Expert
I have a system with Linux Mint on.
Brilliant and super fast.
Hardly any difference for the user from XP apart from more modern slicker and a lot faster.
Sadly there are still hardly any music making programs I can use with ease available.
I had a little difficulty with putting CDs on my wife's mp3 player until I downloaded ripperx.
D.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I had a little difficulty with putting CDs on my wife's mp3 player until I downloaded ripperx.
D.
Not had problems like that Linds I'm referring to music making programs where I can plug a synth in use loops generate loops etc. I did discover LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio) which is good and I do use that on Windows as it will operate on anything.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

lindisfel

Expert
Has anyone used Wine on linux, please?
I will have to read round the subject because it does not look straightforward.
I have had a paid for copy of OS Memory Map for windows for some years and would like to get it working.
regards
D.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Macs but I don't like that they are overpriced. Like Ralph Lauren they charge for the name. I love my Chromebook. A fraction of the price of a Mac and, like a Mac, practically immune to viruses. And it synced itself to my Android phone and tablet.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ubuntu and Lubuntu (Light version on many and families machines).Desktop has win7 as my photoshop program only uses windows and its so simple I dont want to change it.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I have nearly settled on a Chromebook as it is in my price range.

I have something to look forwards to now with the Chrome OS, which should will **** all over win 10 and it's vagaries.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am very happy with my new Acer Chromebook, which is running the Chrome OS 74.0.3729.159 (Official Build) (64-bit). One I logged into my Google account, it updated all of the native apps and imported all of my settings , bookmarks etc. It then offered to upgrade to the latest version of the Chrome OS, this took all of ten minutes to download and install, no bloated Win updates.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/model/NX.GP0SA.001

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I like Macs but I don't like that they are overpriced. Like Ralph Lauren they charge for the name. I love my Chromebook. A fraction of the price of a Mac and, like a Mac, practically immune to viruses. And it synced itself to my Android phone and tablet.

Macs are worth every penny. Never ever had anything go wrong with any of mine. And you get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

My Samsung J5 Pro smart phone updated to Android 9.0 (Pie) operating system yesterday.

Fifteen minutes from woah to goah, downloading 1.2 gig and installing in that time all ready to go.

No wonder I detest Microsoft Win 10.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
Well at the moment it's Windows 10, But I did like Windows 7 when it was introduced. I did'nt use Windows 8.0 or 8.1 as the laptop I had at the time was not compatable for Windows 8.

The jury is still out about Windows 11.

Terry

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Android 12 on my phone, Android 11 on another phone and Samsung tablet.

Chrome OS101.0.4951.72 (Official Build) (64-bit) on my Cromebook 15

I do not own any Windows based computers any more, the last decent Windows was version 7.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
There is rumores that there is windows 12 in the development stage.