Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was out Friday, with a clutch of friends from here visiting another 15 miles away.
I offered one of them a lift as the poor woman’s got a glioblastoma and can no longer drive. Before I’d blinked 2 more had joined me. Still makes me chuckle that they chose to be driven there and back by a T1 with a recent knee replacement - what badass oldies will do to get an evening of food and drink

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 based in my experience...
- since being on the pump, I have no need to eat a biccie to stop me going low. I just set a temporary bolus for 30 minutes and that sets me on the right track again. Now, would be concerned, the biccie was upsetting my BG levels if I didn’t bolus for it. I now bolus for everything including a chocolate, a biscuit as well as a full blown meal.
- there are a few things which can cause my BG to rise during the night
- fatty dinner. Even if I ate it before 8pm, a pasta dish with creamy, cheese sauce will cause my BG to rise over night. A combo bolus over 3 hours seems to minimise this. I feel nervous going to bed knowing I still have insulin on board but it seems to work.
- a bad night’s sleep. However, this is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. Is my BG high because I am having difficulty sleeping or am I having difficulty sleeping because my BG is high? As it often coincides with staying in a hotel for work, I think it is the former but, then again, I have probably eaten something unusual and carbs so who knows?
- night time basal set wrong. For me this is because I am on the wrong basal profile when I forget to change it the day after climbing or spinning or something. Initially, it took a bit of tweaking to get this right and required a few days of little exercise and slightly lower carb dinner.​
I hope you manage to sort your pump settings out. For me, Pumpy has really helped and given me more freedom.

Thanks as always for the advice, BIB should that be temp Basal????

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was out Friday, with a clutch of friends from here visiting another 15 miles away.
I offered one of them a lift as the poor woman’s got a glioblastoma and can no longer drive. Before I’d blinked 2 more had joined me. Still makes me chuckle that they chose to be driven there and back by a T1 with a recent knee replacement - it’s amazing what things these badass oldies will do to get an evening of food and drink

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I offered one of them a lift as the poor woman’s got a glioblastoma and can no longer drive. Before I’d blinked 2 more had joined me. Still makes me chuckle that they chose to be driven there and back by a T1 with a recent knee replacement - what badass oldies will do to get an evening of food and drink

Love it FG :happy:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon, all, seeing as there's a theatre-going meme, thought I'd chip in with a plug for Jade Byrne's show Pricks, about her 29 yrs of T1.

She's doing a tour round the country with it during May, some of the venues might be handy for a few of us.

I went to see it at the Edinburgh Fringe last year, don't do theatre much but it was pretty good.

https://www.prickstheplay.co.uk/about-pricks

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Once it became obvious there were five of us T1s in the front row it got very surreal. I was weeping with laughter, there really is such a thing as diabetic comedy :hilarious: Virtually the entire first half was a personal gig just for us. Brilliant. Comparing meters with us, names of insulin, my 100% chocolate (sugar free but tastes like, erm, BOTTOMS). Think it threw him a bit to see so many of us that were on a SPECIFIC diabetic outing, but he certainly more than rose to the occasion. My so-called stomach muscles are aching this morning from laughing so hard. :rolleyes:

I had never heard of him before, just done a Youtube search and watched his routine on Live at Appollo which was quite good

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon, all, seeing as there's a theatre-going meme, thought I'd chip in with a plug for Jade Byrne's show Pricks, about her 29 yrs of T1.

She's doing a tour round the country with it during May, some of the venues might be handy for a few of us.

I went to see it at the Edinburgh Fringe last year, don't do theatre much but it was pretty good.

https://www.prickstheplay.co.uk/about-pricks
Mm, this looks good and I'd quite like to see it. Don't think it's going to be showing in the county I Iive in so will mean a trip (as is usual round here ) if I can get to one.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The venues are a long way from me too it’s be a good one to take the badass crew to

Reactions: hh1 and Knikki

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a look at Ed Gamble. Found his diabetes bit very funny!

I am embracing the trial and error life today. Blood sugar was looking lovely at 5.8 (the lowest ove been, and feeling very shaky for it!). So thought I would test a banana without insulin just to see how much it raises my blood sugar. I'm a little scared at what's going to happen, but I figure it's best to know, especially as I usually have one with breakfast every morning, and its after breakfast where I'm currently getting my highest BS of the day

Reactions: slip and hh1

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am embracing the trial and error life today.

A useful thing to try every now and then is to wait until bg is fairly stable, then take 10g of glucose, and wait and watch to see how much bg rises until it settles out again.

And on the other side of the coin, wait till stable at about 8 or so to give a bit of hypo leeway, then take 1u of insulin without food to see how much it drops you before it levels out again.

DAFNE says it should be about 2 to 3 in either direction but that's a very general rule with broad margins based on observations of lots of people, so it can be useful to do those routines to figure out your personal numbers.

You can then apply them to multiples of 10g and 1u to get a clearer idea of how much insulin for a particular meal. That's more or less one of the main pillars of carb counting, but, as always with T1, there are other factors involved which influence things, but it's a good starting point.

It's easier doing it with cgm but still do-able with strips.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A useful thing to try every now and then is to wait until bg is fairly stable, then take 10g of glucose, and wait and watch to see how much bg rises until it settles out again.

And on the other side of the coin, wait till stable at about 8 or so to give a bit of hypo leeway, then take 1u of insulin without food to see how much it drops you before it levels out again.

DAFNE says it should be about 2 to 3 in either direction but that's a very general rule with broad margins based on observations of lots of people, so it can be useful to do those routines to figure out your personal numbers.

You can then apply them to multiples of 10g and 1u to get a clearer idea of how much insulin for a particular meal. That's more or less one of the main pillars of carb counting, but, as always with T1, there are other factors involved which influence things, but it's a good starting point.

It's easier doing it with cgm but still do-able with strips.
Ooh thank you! I may have to give this a go!
I've been testing a lot the past few days, and would love to get a freestyle libre, but cant afford to self fund at the moment (poor student here) and I have to wait a certain amount of time until I can be considered for one on the NHS. So finger pricking it is for now!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Once it became obvious there were five of us T1s in the front row it got very surreal. I was weeping with laughter, there really is such a thing as diabetic comedy :hilarious: Virtually the entire first half was a personal gig just for us. Brilliant. Comparing meters with us, names of insulin, my 100% chocolate (sugar free but tastes like, erm, BOTTOMS). Think it threw him a bit to see so many of us that were on a SPECIFIC diabetic outing, but he certainly more than rose to the occasion. My so-called stomach muscles are aching this morning from laughing so hard. :rolleyes:
Totally agree. I think Spike caught the blunt of the grilling. Stomach muscles are still aching

Reactions: hh1

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jazz97 you may be feeling shacky at 5.8 because it could be a false hypo, basically because you have been running so high that dropping to 5.8, which is a GOOD number by the way, gives you that hypo feeling.

Making progress:)

What happened with the banana experiment?
Definitely a false hypo! Woke up like this the other day as well. Annoying because it makes me want to eat to stop feeling so shaky, but good to know that my levels are getting to normal.

An hour after banana and I'm at 10.3. Will check again in another hour to see how I'm going. I'm hoping ot doesn't go up too much more, because bananas are one of my very favourite foods and dint know if I could do without them!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Aaargh Mels cat.......just put my jacket on and pulled my MM and libre straight off.....a call to Abbott's in the morning grrrrr

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been testing a lot the past few days, and would love to get a freestyle libre,

The current RMOC guidelines for NHS England are that if there is a clinical need for testing more than 8 times a day, and it can be shown via meter history that this has been done for 3 months, they should prescribe, no ifs, no buts.

I think some people have been deliberately upping testing to meet the above 8.

Partha Kar, the NHS clinical lead for T1 says that the guidelines are to be regarded as a bare minimum and ccgs are free to loosen them. I suppose that might end up as a post-code lottery depending on how liberal particular ccgs are.

But I think, depending on how your team think about it, if you were to express a strong interest in it, explain how you've been testing a lot as you're keen to learn how insulin and carb-counting works and say you think libre will help with that, then, you never know, get a kind DSN or consultant on the right day, you might be in with a shout for getting it on script, no harm in asking.