Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only at prediabetic range but when I mentioned testing self funded my Doctor said absolutely not, you only ever test if you are on insulin.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm only at prediabetic range but when I mentioned testing self funded my Doctor said absolutely not, you only ever test if you are on insulin.

I guess, that IS a decision for individuals to make.

At PRE diabetic levels, would I have listened, AND taken action or just considered it non critical warning and after a week or two of watching my diet going back to my normal ways....probably

BUT having got educated here, I would like to think the the non type 2 me would take note, do the food diary and change some habits....( I doubt I'd be a saint, but I hope I'd look after myself better )

So that's a yeah for me ,... for the cost of a few coffee shop drinks, or most likely some vitamins...I'd have the tools to check what impact certain foods have, and hopefully delay, ( if not eliminate ) my entry into the. T2D World.

Last edited:

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess, that IS a decision for individuals to make.

At PRE diabetic levels, would I have listened, AND taken action or just considered it non critical warning and after a week or two of watching my diet going back to my normal ways....probably

BUT having got educated here, I would like to think the the non type 2 me would take note, do the food diary and change some habits....( I doubt I'd be a saint, but I hope I'd look after myself better )

So that's a yeah for me ,... for the cost of a few coffee shop drinks, or most likely some vitamins...I'd have the tools to check what impact certain foods have, and hopefully delay, ( if not eliminate ) my entry into the. T2D World.
I agree, I think if I hadn't started reading this forum and seeing the positives from testing and getting myself back to normal levels, I'd probably have carried on as normal albeit try and diet a bit...but I've downloaded myfitnesspal, ordered my meter and a low carb cook book...so it can only help me get healthy again

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, I think if I hadn't started reading this forum and seeing the positives from testing and getting myself back to normal levels, I'd probably have carried on as normal albeit try and diet a bit...but I've downloaded myfitnesspal, ordered my meter and a low carb cook book...so it can only help me get healthy again

And i 'd agree @AngiH , with the plus that knowing SO much more about carbs and how the body works, regarding them, dieting SHOULD be more effective.

Best wishes going forward.

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that home testing wasn’t necessary as I had a Hba1c every six months so the strips were stopped.I believe it’s the NHS cutting back on unnecessary prescriptions

Same thing happened to me after I got my BS levels low and stable, my surgery stopped providing them.

smitchen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was refused testing kit when I was taking Metformin but as soon as I was prescribed Linagliptin I was as prescribed tester, needles and test strips.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
I had my first meeting with the Diabetic Nurse at my doctors surgery, not the full check over bit, that is due next month, a very nice lady who sat and talked me through all the various bits and pieces to do with being diabetic, she says that she tells all her new diagnosed to test and keep testing blood glucose levels, as how else are we going to know what food/drink is doing to us, and what to avoid, even mentioned if occasionally going up over 10 mmol, that to bring it down go for a good brisk walk or bike ride then retest and see how that may bring the glucose level down.
I informed her of the previous meetings with the doctors who told me not to test, and she was not a happy bunny, I feel said doctors will be given a bit more educating.
The dear lady also said I could have a test meter from her stock cupboard as she had plenty, and the medical reps were always handing them out to her whenever they visit, also said I should be able to get the strips on prescription if I wished.
Without being a saint in any way, I declined and showed her the meter and strips I bought, at the moment I can afford to self fund these, and someone else may not be able to, that may change in time of course, I will just have to see.
Bless the Diabetic Nurse Lady for the most refreshing and informative and very supporting time she spent with me.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a very nice lady who sat and talked me through all the various bits and pieces to do with being diabetic, she says that she tells all her new diagnosed to test and keep testing blood glucose levels, as how else are we going to know what food/drink is doing to us, and what to avoid, even mentioned if occasionally going up over 10 mmol, that to bring it down go for a good brisk walk or bike ride then retest and see how that may bring the glucose level down.

well done for getting a fantastic stroke of luck.
and one who can the elephant in room re not testing...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

all i get is the same old patter, and seems uninterested in how i am losing the weight.

still, it;'s one by one the world changes, until we get critical mass and then it almost happens overnight.

nice call, on the meter.
sure to be others in more need, as you say.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

mahsiyat

Not only was I told not to test ( the meds would take care of it all so there is no need) but the DNS actively prevented me getting a meter or strips from the doc. I found this out from the doc 3 months later! I was also referred to the hospital as I refused to eat the healthy eat well plate and she refused to see me so if it hadn't been for a fab member of this forum( yes @Totto I am referring to you!) and this forum then I would probably be very ill and considerably fatter!
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

Reactions: Evie-D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars.

It would be a very long list involving just about every GP surgery in the UK and further afield.

Reactions: ziggy_w

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry this is a bit long but I do need help from you
This has happened to me. I was happily testing and doing extremely well losing weight slowly and getting to grips with being type 2. I suffer with fibromyalgia anxiety and depression as an added flaw in my body.
Then it happened
The nurse rang me as I had requested my test strips as usual and told me I couldn’t have them anymore for regular testing and could only do so every so often and by now (3months in) I should know what I can and can’t eat as most people regularly eat the same foods week in week out. so the child in me was horrified and totally upset to be told off by the diabetic nurse. Since then my depression spiralled and yes you guessed right I’ve been eating wrongly weight is back on and I suspect my levels are not good. Having bloods done today as I avoided doing them in October when I was supposed to.
Does anyone have suggestions to get me back on track? I can’t afford to buy my own test strips and am scared to speak to the nurse about what was said.

junefleming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything sour tasting
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.[/QUOT

junefleming

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything sour tasting
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I was told that if I didn't test for 3-4 wks I would be given the more expensive medication that I require. My GPS are no use as they know nothing about diabetes and just tell me to see the nurse in my local clinic. Currently have Hb1ac of around 66 but was told by Dr at hospital that level of 60 or slightly over is perfectly ok for my age group. 60-65

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that if I didn't test for 3-4 wks I would be given the more expensive medication that I require. My GPS are no use as they know nothing about diabetes and just tell me to see the nurse in my local clinic. Currently have Hb1ac of around 66 but was told by Dr at hospital that level of 60 or slightly over is perfectly ok for my age group. 60-65
Oh @junefleming ...why do they think they can fob us off like that, do they really believe we are too stupid to use the web and find out the reality...makes me so angry

You obviously know better now your on here, thank god.
It creates the same damage, whatever our age, ( just sadly the older we are, the more life itself has nibbled away at us ;))

Have left link in my signature regarding what one person believes are healthy and High levels...it's us who pay the price if our health care advisors get it wrong .No wonder so many on here treat their doctor's advice with a modicum of suspicion.

Welcome to the forum, from a sunny London.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see how to make it a poll, but I've made it sticky.
Since diagnosis ive not had any advice from a Nurse?doctor about self testing or changing my diet. About a week after diagnosis i had a call from the surgery to say i had an appt with the nurse, I thought great i can ask for advice etc. I turned up for said appt and the nurse said lets do your asthma review to which i replied what about my diagnosis of diabetes to which she replied that will have to be with the other nurse , unbelievable) Up to now i havent seen anyone and all the advice and help ive had from forum memebers.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Since diagnosis ive not had any advice from a Nurse?doctor about self testing or changing my diet. About a week after diagnosis i had a call from the surgery to say i had an appt with the nurse, I thought great i can ask for advice etc. I turned up for said appt and the nurse said lets do your asthma review to which i replied what about my diagnosis of diabetes to which she replied that will have to be with the other nurse , unbelievable) Up to now i havent seen anyone and all the advice and help ive had from forum memebers.

You're in the right place for good advice! Forum members write from experience. Professional advice is theory. The simple advice is Low carb, healthy fat. Give up all the obvious carbs & increase natural fats - nuts, butter, cheese, cream, etc. It's kept me fit & well for 11 years after suffering crippling neuropathy.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
unbelievable. Up to now i havent seen anyone and all the advice and help ive had from forum memebers.

Hard though it might be to believe, considering doctors SHOULD be the experts for us to get guidance from, you can consider yourself lucky, most advise I got was so contradictory to what I actually need and benefit from, ..I am so glad I chose to ignore their advice and listen instead to the fellow sufferers on here, those with the personal experience .. to offer advice on what GENUINELY works better for us T2D's.

As prev poster @IanD excellently demonstrates, practical and protective Woe that does as expected...and doing him beautifully 11+ years on.

Inspiring stuff indeed.

Good luck, finding your way
(Remember,. Most docs/hcp are advising you from a position of LEARNED knowledge
perhaps from many years ago, and maybe only a half day course.

On here Members are advising from a position of EARNED knowledge.
Most likely from a few days ago...and learnt over many years

It is an ever evolving learning process.)

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Hard though it might to believe, considering doctors SHOULD be the experts for us to get guidance from, you can consider yourself lucky, mist advise I got was so contradictory to what I actually need and benefit from, ..I am so glad I chose to ignore their advice and listen instead to the fellow sufferers in here, those with the personal experience to offer, advice on what GENUINELY works better for us T2D's.

As prev poster @IanD excellently demonstrates, practical and protective Woe that does as expected...and doing him beautifully 11+ years on.

Inspiring stuff indeed.

Good luck, finding your way
(Remember,. Most docs/hcp are advising you from a position of LEARNED knowledge
perhaps from many years ago, and maybe only a half day course.
On here Members are advising from a position of EARNED knowledge.
Most likely from a few days ago...and learnt over many years

It is an ever evolving learning process.)

Agreed. The only person I would trust to know more about my diabetes than myself is a world class endocrinologist who used to have diabetes and now climbs mountains in his pants and wrestles bears on nothing more than bulletproof coffee :shifty:

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I was told just a month ago at the start of taking insulin "Do not test 'after' meals because it will always be high and we are only interested in pre- meal readings and first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

This seems weird to me because I want to know what foods cause my BG to rise and for how long. I am driving 7 - 8 hrs a day every day so MUST test every 2 hrs. Thus I know exactly what foods do what to my BG level and for how long.

How can anybody hope to control their diabetes unless they TEST themselves every day ... several times a day.
There is so much information to absorb on this site and countless other blogs, websites, videos, books.
I have ended up with diabetic info indigestion.

To my mind the MOST important and relevant information is, what do the numbers on 'MY' screen tell me that I need to know.
#Po

No numbers = No Clue!