SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon all,
Done my work for today so I'm going to be a very bad person and go try a variety of ciders. As no one has said if it's a good idea to bolus for it, don't know what to do really. Just drink and be damned I suppose.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Afternoon all,
Done my work for today so I'm going to be a very bad person and go try a variety of ciders. As no one has said if it's a good idea to bolus for it, don't know what to do really. Just drink and be damned I suppose.

I think it'll depend on if it's a sweet or dry cider. One must surely have more carbs than the other. I don't drink at all (clashes like billy-oh with my epilepsy drugs) so I'm not going to be of any help at all, although if I could, I would :)

Reactions: SueJB

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon all,

Hi, Sue, yep, I'd bolus for cider: Carbs & Cals puts dry at 15g per pint, sweet at 24g.

But....

Remember that while your liver normally seeps some glucose out to fuel bodily processes and your basal takes care of that, when you introduce alcohol, the liver prioritises metabolising the alcohol and stops releasing glucose.

But the basal is still there in the background lowering bg. In the absence of that slow glucose release from the liver, that can lead to pretty savage night drops.

I'll tend to bolus for the first few pints to pin a major spike, but then tail it off to an occasional 1 or 2u as the night goes on, with the aim of making sure I've no iob by bedtime, and as the alcohol will still have that inhibiting effect on the liver, I'll rake back basal by a few units and have some cheese on toast or oatcakes or biscuits before bed so there's some glucose coming in to replace the missing liver glucose.

As it's your first foray into cider since dx, I'd be cautious with it - maybe bolus a bit just to tame the spike but don't bolus at yr usual carb ratio, lower, and maybe fit in a packet of crisps mid-evening, and definitely some food before bed.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I think it'll depend on if it's a sweet or dry cider. One must surely have more carbs than the other. I don't drink at all (clashes like billy-oh with my epilepsy drugs) so I'm not going to be of any help at all, although if I could, I would :)
That's nice, thanks for replying. I always drink dry!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, Sue, yep, I'd bolus for cider: Carbs & Cals puts dry at 15g per pint, sweet at 24g.

But....

Remember that while your liver normally seeps some glucose out to fuel bodily processes and your basal takes care of that, when you introduce alcohol, the liver prioritises metabolising the alcohol and stops releasing glucose.

But the basal is still there in the background lowering bg. In the absence of that slow glucose release from the liver, that can lead to pretty savage night drops.

I'll tend to bolus for the first few pints to pin a major spike, but then tail it off to an occasional 1 or 2u as the night goes on, with the aim of making sure I've no iob by bedtime, and as the alcohol will still have that inhibiting effect on the liver, I'll rake back basal by a few units and have some cheese on toast or oatcakes or biscuits before bed so there's some glucose coming in to replace the missing liver glucose.

As it's your first foray into cider since dx, I'd be cautious with it - maybe bolus a bit just to tame the spike but don't bolus at yr usual carb ratio, lower, and maybe fit in a packet of crisps mid-evening, and definitely some food before bed.

Good luck!
Brilliantly informative thanks @Scott-C I'm going to have fun, cider and some crisps and then cheese on toast. This must be heaven. Tell you later what happens

Reactions: WuTwo

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Sat in a Sainsburys Cafe willing my BG levels to rise.
I was shopping with Wife and son when "Madam Diabetes" threw a hissy fit and my levels plummeted from 10 to 2 in 30 minutes. Very disconcerting. Hasn't happened for ages and I really don't know why it's happened today. Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with my routine. Sigh. Wifey probably thinks I am trying to get out of the shopping.

Reactions: smc4761

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 sorry to read about your bg problems. Regarding your weekend birdwatching stroll, have you tried setting a temporary basal to counteract the bg fall? I would try reducing your basal by half about an hour before you set out for the period of your stroll.
It looks to me (but I have no medical training) that you are over treating your hypos now you are on a pump.
This is how I understand it. When on mdi, the slow acting insulin assumes our basal needs are the same 24 hours a day. We know this is not true but it is a good approximation. Typically, we take enough slow acting insulin to keep bg stable overnight, when we are not active so basal insulin requirements are greatest. This means, during the day, we had a little too much basal insulin on board but we handle this with between meal snacks and slight underestimate of carbs (e.g. not counting veggies). If we hypo on mdi, we need to have fast acting sugars to deal with the current low BG and slow acting carbs to "mop up" the spare basal insulin.
With a pump, we match our basal to our needs at different times of the day to match our body's needs. Therefore, we should have no spare basal on board, we need to more accurately count carbs, we need to bolus for between meal snacks and we do not need the slow acting carbs after a hypo... so no longer an excuse for biccies.
I hope this makes sense and does not confuse things even more.

Good luck with the birdwatching. I got excited to see a Bullfinch in my garden this week. I think he may have knocked the Goldfinch off the top spot of best birds seen in my garden.

Hi @helensaramay thanks for such an informative reply. It is such a steep leaning curve with the pump.

Well the birdwatching again was a disaster. I am wondering if the place I go to is in a parallel universe, where my pancreas kicks back in again.

I had taken more carbs on board prior to the stroll, it so slow I cant class it as walking. I had also set a temp basal of 20% for 2 hours. 10 minutes into the stroll it had gone from a waking BG of 8.6, to about an hour later BG 7.1 and going down. I sat a while had some chocolate got a couple of photos and moved onto next hide, about 20 minutes away. Quick check BG now at 5.1 and heading straight down. OK slight panic and I scoff a packet of rolo that should do the trick. sat a while a few more photos and off to next hide again about 20 minutes away. Quick check of BG and its down to BG 4.2

Now starting to panic a bit, I am in middle of nowhere about an hour from car. I only have a bottle of cola left with me, so its a suspend the pump and down with the cola. Back to car eventually about hour later to a BG of 6.9.

Now my morning BG have been decent recently so maybe need to make a few more adjustments. Cant understand why though everytime I go for a stroll my BG seems to fall through the floor.

Suffering bit now as BG now at 14.2. Ah well back to drawing board

On the plus side got a few decent photos

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's nice, thanks for replying. I always drink dry!
I live relatively close to a couple of farms that make and sell their own cider. My grandfather used to love scrumpy which was dry and, to be honest, horrible although I was only 9 when I had my first taste. Give me Thatchers Haze any day.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the girls won, the mother’s played dirty.......2 penalties awarded to the girls.........1 of which wasn’t because Mrs Slip handed the ball away from the goal;).................:facepalm: would have been a good save had she been the goalkeeper! End of season awards also done and Miss Slip got the most improved player trophy :happy:

@SueJB good luck with the cider, I don’t drink it often but when I do I know I’m going to be high afterwards, just don’t over correct.

@Capt-Slog shopping with the wife always sends me low for some reason

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 I'm still on MDI and pumps are a bit of a mystery to me. Just wondering whether you have breakfast before your stroll, and if so, i assume you bolus for it? When I walk in the morning, if it's within an hour and a half, I reduce my bolus because that's when my insulin is working hardest, so bg comes down much faster with exercise. If I walk more than an hour and a half or so after bolusing, I stick to what I consider my normal ratio. This may be obvious to others; it wasn't to me until I went on a training course for T1s all about managing exercise and T1 (this was a pilot and depending on the results may be made available more widely). It may not be the answer; just thought I'd mention it in case...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope everyone is having a good weekend..... D275DC2C-8BF7-428A-970C-BB208782CD4A.jpeg.....latest sewing project completed....now to decide what to do next...:)....sunshine and showers here with hail storm earlier so not really gardening weather....perhaps tomorrow...

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Hi @Molly56 - yep, weekend going so far. Car boot full of latest stuff to go to the charity shop, which leaves me clear to start filling boxes with more! I will get this house empty of all the stuff we neither need nor want sooner or later but what appalls me is how much sheer stuff we have accumulated. I've lived in this house since 1986 and really - I think I have ten boxes of gubbins for every year..

Mind you, I can see the wood for the trees now!

What was your project?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It's "click bait" a rather dull article about two people going on a date, had it been "Two Accounts Enjoy A Blind Date" then no one would read it, or it would not turn up in search engines, however using the headline it did, did the job it was intended to and both you and I clicked on it.

Anyway he wasn't that good after all his joking he ain't getting a second date.

Yes, he was a bit of a numpty but I still find it rough to use his stupid question as click-bait.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This may be obvious to others; it wasn't to me until I went on a training course for T1s all about managing exercise and T1

It wasn't obvious to me either till I went on a DAFNE course about 3 yrs ago and then got libre.

Learning about the time pattern of insulin action, and being able to track iob and where it is in its path are the things which have helped me the most over the last few years, along with prebolusing.

I think a lot of newly dx'd get chucked out into the wild without learning about how insulin peaks and then declines over time. And for the oldies, docs maybe just assume we know this stuff. I don't recall being taught this 30 yrs ago, didn't really know about it till DAFNE, but it's made such a huge difference since finding out about it.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Molly56 - yep, weekend going so far. Car boot full of latest stuff to go to the charity shop, which leaves me clear to start filling boxes with more! I will get this house empty of all the stuff we neither need nor want sooner or later but what appalls me is how much sheer stuff we have accumulated. I've lived in this house since 1986 and really - I think I have ten boxes of gubbins for every year..

Mind you, I can see the wood for the trees now!

What was your project?
@WuTwo ....posted picture in my post....looks a bit of a fat cat must have been well fed....I have one cat with very similar markings called Molly:cat: but she is a tiny cat who hasn’t really grown from being a kitten unlike her brother Buster who is twice her size..
...can sympathise with you on the accumulated stuff....I too need a good clear out....

Reactions: kitedoc

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@WuTwo ....posted picture in my post....looks a bit of a fat cat must have been well fed....I have one cat with very similar markings called Molly:cat: but she is a tiny cat who hasn’t really grown from being a kitten unlike her brother Buster who is twice her size..
...can sympathise with you on the accumulated stuff....I too need a good clear out....

That's lovely - cross stitch or needlepoint? I'm doing Lesley Teare's Sunbonnet Sue series at the moment - that's the one I do in between projects while I choose out of the pattern stash.

Reactions: kitedoc and michita

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's lovely - cross stitch or needlepoint? I'm doing Lesley Teare's Sunbonnet Sue series at the moment - that's the one I do in between projects while I choose out of the pattern stash.
Cross stitch....from pattern book ‘Cats of the World’ which Mum picked up from charity shop for me a few years back....also done black panther
B5F69090-B1CD-478C-BEF4-04AFE074DFB2.jpeg
....and have various tiger pictures too...including this one...
05652242-6F29-467D-812C-E330C8A2608E.jpeg

Not sure what to do next but got cross stitch magazine in charity shop the other day for 25p with some great Christmas designs with some beautiful angels (set of 4)....could keep me busy for some time....:)
I also have a stash to choose from .....decisions, decisions....

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 I'm still on MDI and pumps are a bit of a mystery to me. Just wondering whether you have breakfast before your stroll, and if so, i assume you bolus for it? When I walk in the morning, if it's within an hour and a half, I reduce my bolus because that's when my insulin is working hardest, so bg comes down much faster with exercise. If I walk more than an hour and a half or so after bolusing, I stick to what I consider my normal ratio. This may be obvious to others; it wasn't to me until I went on a training course for T1s all about managing exercise and T1 (this was a pilot and depending on the results may be made available more widely). It may not be the answer; just thought I'd mention it in case...

Hi @hh1 yes i have brekkie before I go out and bolus accordingly making a slight adjustment down. This morning was weetabix and hot milk. I had also reduced my basal down to 20% about 15 minutes before I started walking. When I say walk, it really is a very gentle stroll stopping frequently to take photos admire the views etc so not in the slightest strenuous.

When I was on MDI I did the same walk with no issues at all. Its only really been the past 4 weeks, although I am probably running my BG much tighter. Just need to make a few more adjustments till I get it right