Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had two slices wholemeal toast with marmalade and a banana. I know its not the banana as I have one every morning. And unlikely the bread as I have it most days for lunch. So the marmalade is the only thing I've had different.
I have been moving around a lot this morning, so maybe it's the two together.
Haven't gone this high in a couple of weeks.
Have had a little correction insulin, so hoping it will come down in the next hour, as I'm supposed to be eating a roast dinner! Might have to take it easy on the potatoes.
Might have to give low sugar marmalade a go

Erm, that can add up to 45+ carbs, how much Insulin did you take ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
7 units
My fixed dose is currently at 6, but took an extra one as I was at 9.3

Thanks for that, I couldn't eat that myself, but it definitely didn't work this morning, could you reduce the carbs and still take the 6 units ? I have miscalculated a few times and I carb count, but having a high like that isn't nice :(

Reactions: kitedoc

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that, I couldn't eat that myself, but it definitely didn't work this morning, could you reduce the carbs and still take the 6 units ? I have miscalculated a few times and I carb count, but having a high like that isn't nice :(
It was the first time of tried marmalade since being diagnosed. So didn't know how I would react to it. A mixture of that and being on my feet all morning I reckon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It was the first time of tried marmalade since being diagnosed. So didn't know how I would react to it. A mixture of that and being on my feet all morning I reckon.

I used to like the odd piece of toast with marmalade for breakfast, but I found it spiked me, so I don't bother

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to like the odd piece of toast with marmalade for breakfast, but I found it spiked me, so I don't bother
I might give low sugar marmalade a go. I dont have marmalade on an everyday basis, so just need to figure out my bolus for it, so can have as a treat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
After much trial and error I finally worked out that I have four daytime ratios, with the morning being when I can eat fewer carbs than at any other time. By dinner I'm at 1:10g which is fantastic, so I save my real munching for dinner. If I had the fancy machinery it would doubtless work out even more ratios for different occasions but this is as good as I can get it working with testing and my app.

I'm the same as you, for brekki I have 1/2 to 1 unit and then Insulin increases throughout the day. I am normally at my busiest in the morning, early afternoon, then slob out after dinner, well, I'm cuddled on sofa with Pebbles cat :):cat: <3

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
That was it before the insulin. I dont test again until 2 hours after I've eaten.

Yes, that’s the older way of doing things - and it’s what many of us were told to do so we’ve all been there!
If you can get a libre it could make a difference, see if you can use these results to have the sensors on prescription? I know it’s early days. The libre’s trend arrows that show whether blood sugars are rising, falling or steady are really useful. Not foolproof, but useful.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I might give low sugar marmalade a go. I dont have marmalade on an everyday basis, so just need to figure out my bolus for it, so can have as a treat

Eat a known volume of food, so that you can work out precisely how many grams of carb it has.

Bolus what you think is right, and work it out as a math equation - so many units for so many grams. Make a note of the test and its results. If you're hopelessly out, then correct with insulin, and adjust the dosage up or down accordingly on the next test. Eventually you'll work out your correct dosage for a given amount of this food at a given time of day. Then move that food along to lunchtime. Repeat test ..... and so on.

After testing for the same food at breakfast, lunch and dinner you'll have a rough idea of how your ratios change through the day for that food.

Once you've tested with lots of foods you'll know if the ratios hold true generally.

(Did I say it involves a LOT of testing?)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
That was it before the insulin. I dont test again until 2 hours after I've eaten.

I did a bunch of testing about that too. I started at one hour, then every 15 minutes until 2 hours after the meal. Repeated testing enabled me to see that in fact I am at my highest 1 and a quarter hours after eating, so that's when I test after meals.

Reactions: kitedoc and Jazz97

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that’s the older way of doing things - and it’s what many of us were told to do so we’ve all been there!
If you can get a libre it could make a difference, see if you can use these results to have the sensors on prescription? I know it’s early days. The libre’s trend arrows that show whether blood sugars are rising, falling or steady are really useful. Not foolproof, but useful.
I should be getting a libre in a few weeks.
I was testing every hour, but was told to stop as an hour after eating would be a false reading...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I should be getting a libre in a few weeks.
I was testing every hour, but was told to stop as an hour after eating would be a false reading...

Good about the libre. As for the hour after eating, well pah. If you have hypo and hyper symptoms then allow them to guide you for testing too? The graph on the libre should help too.

Reactions: kitedoc and Jazz97

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh deep joy. Marmalade! I’ve got no clever suggestions there, I find any fruit spikes me - more so if preserved in sugar. I just can’t handle it, so don’t bother any more.

Was untimely ripped from my duvet (the only PROPER lie in I’ve been able to get for ages, grumble grumble) because the gas man was coming out to replace the regulator on our boiler as he was in the area - we’d noticed a massive drop in pressure on the hob if the heating clicked on, and the hot water has become a bit sketchy. Turns out it’s not our end that’s the problem, the gas pipe from the main to our house has corroded and needs replacing. Hopefully that’ll get done today - a while ago we got put on their priority “vulnerable” list because of husbeast having a brain injury, and also because of my T1 apparently - I didn’t realise that until today! Seems they regard at as essential that I can keep clean and make food. Not complaining, certainly not on a bank holiday weekend!

Bloods running a bit on the high side of where I like them, 7.5 currently and resistant to coming down after some quite big doses (for me). Maybe I’m coming down with something? We’ll see.

Not got much planned anyway, and certainly not with the gas people coming and going. Might fix some broken fletchings on my arrows and do some target practice when it’s possible to shut the cats in the house. Have a good one, teabags x

Reactions: hh1 and WuTwo

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back on the organ stool this morning - definitely feel better for a week off it. Blood remarkably steady as stress levels down...

Also managed to catch up with most of the paperwork before church and the rest in half an hour after lunch so I am treating the rest of today mine now! Tomorrow will be Main Paid Work paperwork and hoping it looks worse than it is and that I can have some of the Bank Holiday Monday to myself as all my usual slots for doing paperwork in have been taken over by other meetings next week.

Reactions: WuTwo and hh1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @Molly56 - yep, weekend going so far. Car boot full of latest stuff to go to the charity shop, which leaves me clear to start filling boxes with more! I will get this house empty of all the stuff we neither need nor want sooner or later but what appalls me is how much sheer stuff we have accumulated. I've lived in this house since 1986 and really - I think I have ten boxes of gubbins for every year..

Mind you, I can see the wood for the trees now!

What was your project?
I would so like to declutter
How much marmalade did you eat? A whole jar?
I would be surprised if the marmalade alone caused such a high.
As there is so much that can affect our BG, my policy is to never draw a conclusion from a sample of one. Before, discounting marmalade, I would try again to see if it has the same affect. And then, maybe, use it as an example to the DSN why I need to learn to carb count.
It is possible that marmalade is your diabetic kryptonite, but it is more likely you do not have the tools (carb counting) to manage it.
Like the idea of diabetic kryptonite, think mine is spuds in any form

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I would so like to declutter

I have spent about a year so far moving from room to room decluttering. The agreed rules are that if neither of us likes it or uses it, and it has no sentimental meaning for us then it goes.... I've been round each room once, and now I'm on second time around - I've done our room and now I'm on the guest room. Gradually I'm getting there. Our room is done now; I just want a new bed and mattress and we'll be fine.

The guest room doubles as my craft room; that's why there's such a lot in there. This time I've been ruthless with myself, and I think by the time I'm on the third go-round it'll all be done.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have spent about a year so far moving from room to room decluttering. The agreed rules are that if neither of us likes it or uses it, and it has no sentimental meaning for us then it goes.... I've been round each room once, and now I'm on second time around - I've done our room and now I'm on the guest room. Gradually I'm getting there. Our room is done now; I just want a new bed and mattress and we'll be fine.

The guest room doubles as my craft room; that's why there's such a lot in there. This time I've been ruthless with myself, and I think by the time I'm on the third go-round it'll all be done.
Wow @WuTwo. Amazing, my partner will not throw anything away. I'm annoyed that I now how essential medical stuff, diabetes needles and the rest that have needed more space that there just isn't enough room. The problem is we both love books and they're everywhere. BUT we've got a load of things, old tape player!! what? it doesn't work, a video camera... not used for more than 20 years, clothes not worn for the same length of time.
Anyway, Madam BG is slowly sliding 6.2 from this morning's high of 11.2 after my cider and pork pie fest yesterday and done some digging in the garden

Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1557070496370.jpg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Wow @WuTwo. Amazing, my partner will not throw anything away. I'm annoyed that I now how essential medical stuff, diabetes needles and the rest that have needed more space that there just isn't enough room. The problem is we both love books and they're everywhere. BUT we've got a load of things, old tape player!! what? it doesn't work, a video camera... not used for more than 20 years, clothes not worn for the same length of time.
Anyway, Madam BG is slowly sliding 6.2 from this morning's high of 11.2 after my cider and pork pie fest yesterday and done some digging in the garden

Oh we were like that! I think we had 18 sets of bookshelves, full of books both of us admitted we'd never read again even though we enjoyed them. We kept all the reference books, and fiction books that were gifts or where we just love the book itself. Then we got kindles and withdraw some savings, and each of us spent half of the money on books - didn't matter if they were ones we'd had in print form or not. Then we donated the paper books and the shelves. (Have to lose the shelves or they just fill up again).

Clothes - emptied every drawer and cupboard. I put back what still fits. If it doesn't fit I put it in the box to go. I ended up with loads of wardrobe space for new clothes ......

The house rule now is - if we buy it and we don't actually need it (one of just likes it) then something has to go ...... amazing how that makes both of us stop and think :)