Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all
7.5 on waking
I read the whole of Amy's story, and honestly its disheartening for me and frustrating, because as you probably realised, I'm in very much the same position as Amy was. I'm also stubborn, like what I eat, and think that most vegetables are gross and only eat them because I should. I think I could incorporate some low carb meals into my life, but I wouldn't want to only be able to eat low carb.

Anyway, I got back to my uni house last night. Have to start my essay today, and may look into the Libre training my nurse sent me.

Don’t worry too much about it at this stage Jazz, just maybe reduce the amount of carb you eat a little if you’ve found that it adversely affects your blood sugars and makes studying and writing more difficult? You’ll have plenty more time to get to grips with it all later.

Reactions: Jazz97

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Oh deep joy. Marmalade! I’ve got no clever suggestions there, I find any fruit spikes me - more so if preserved in sugar. I just can’t handle it, so don’t bother any more.

Was untimely ripped from my duvet (the only PROPER lie in I’ve been able to get for ages, grumble grumble) because the gas man was coming out to replace the regulator on our boiler as he was in the area - we’d noticed a massive drop in pressure on the hob if the heating clicked on, and the hot water has become a bit sketchy. Turns out it’s not our end that’s the problem, the gas pipe from the main to our house has corroded and needs replacing. Hopefully that’ll get done today - a while ago we got put on their priority “vulnerable” list because of husbeast having a brain injury, and also because of my T1 apparently - I didn’t realise that until today! Seems they regard at as essential that I can keep clean and make food. Not complaining, certainly not on a bank holiday weekend!

Bloods running a bit on the high side of where I like them, 7.5 currently and resistant to coming down after some quite big doses (for me). Maybe I’m coming down with something? We’ll see.

Not got much planned anyway, and certainly not with the gas people coming and going. Might fix some broken fletchings on my arrows and do some target practice when it’s possible to shut the cats in the house. Have a good one, teabags x
Just make sure you miss the gas men with them arrows !

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning fellow caddy contents
Apart from a customer in Sweden who doesn’t understand uk public holidays, today has been quiet and uneventful so far. Woke on 5.9 which is good as my current target is 6.0. It is higher than usual to improve my hypo awareness ... which seems to be working but I am planning to stick a 6.0 until the end of May.

I have been reading bits of Amy’s story. It is an interesting read but, controversially, I don’t like her mother. She seems like she needs to be in control. She writes about managing the diabetes but I think she is trying to control it. Amy’s Hb1ac is very impressive but I wonder if her control is too tight ... at least it is tighter than someone without diabetes. Most people without diabetes who take a random BG reading with my meter, come out with a value between 5.0 and 5.5, yet Amy’s target is 4.6; people without diabetes spike to 8 to 9 but Amy’s diet spikes her to 6.
The blog only describes management of diabetes with respect to food. Maybe a 10 year old does not have the stress we do and maybe she doesn’t do as much exercise as I do and maybe she doesn’t get ill, ... but there is more to life for someone with diabetes than what food does to your BG.
I try to advocate balance and looking after all of my body: not just the diabetes but also the mind and more.
I hope Amy is happy and continues to be able to manage her diabetes when she grows up to the level her mother expects.

That said, I understand the low carb picture and understand why it helps many people with diabetes. It is something I take into consideration but in balance with everything else.
If Amy is in that first 6 1/2 to 10 years on insulin as a Type 1, then a little sacrifice niw coukd reap divendends later, if one considers the padt and ongoing results of the DCCT . Maybe stricter now, less regrets later ? Just another viewpont given what we know now, or at least from 1993 onwards.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm already excited for lunch and it's only 11am! Have planned a couple slices of toast (some high protein, low carb bread from tesco) with avocado and soft boiled eggs. I am determined today to stay normal.
Ok yes, I'll be having pasta for dinner, but I'm still hoping for the best

Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday so far!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

Double the quantity of pasta sauce, half the amount of actual pasta, be liberal with the parmesan and go for it. (Look up the carbs in evrything - cooked pasta is different to dry pasta!)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Why not?
You can’t place your feet accurately if you don’t look at them sometimes.
So you have to look down a bit ... unless your feet are higher than your head and in that situation you have bigger problems :)
Fair enough, i just meant not to look way down to the bottom and be frightened by doing so. I know there are enthusiasts who can belay down a rockface/ wall face down but most if us prefer the other way round !

Reactions: Kim Possible

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Fair enough, i just meant not to look way down to the bottom and be frightened by doing so. I know there are enthusiasts who can belay down a rockface/ wall face down but most if us prefer the other way round !

I am useless with heights. I can climb up into the loft but I can't get down. Last time it took the combined efforts of husband and son to get me back to landing level. I am Never going back up there again, unless there is a trapped bird or something that needs help.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm already excited for lunch and it's only 11am! Have planned a couple slices of toast (some high protein, low carb bread from tesco) with avocado and soft boiled eggs. I am determined today to stay normal.

@Jazz97 as a T2 diet controlled I can eat up to 2 slices without doing too much damage to my BS. They are quite filling as well and nice toasted with, dare I say it in view of one of your previous posts, marmalade. One tip - let the toast cool for a minute or two as, for some reason, it tastes better.
Re the pasta not sure if it makes any difference to your calculations re dosages etc but I find that reheating pasta helps reduce its’ affect on my BS.
Enjoy your lunch and dinner.

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Double the quantity of pasta sauce, half the amount of actual pasta, be liberal with the parmesan and go for it. (Look up the carbs in evrything - cooked pasta is different to dry pasta!)
If dry and cooked are different, what's the info on the packet?

Its filled pasta with chicken and chorizo, so hopefully its more meat than actual pasta!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
To be fair both you and I were diagnosed in the mid 60's and we had none of this around in those days, but yet, here we are not in bad health seeing as a cure was just around the corner and life expectance was 30-4 years ;)
Just to note @Kinnki, children with epilepsy are often prescribed low carb/keto diets as part of their treatment and have not been reported as having growth problems. There are likely to be a few with TID in that lot too, although not sure of the stats on that.
True, too that it may take a while for those children in the True Grit group following Dr Bernstein's philosophy/ diabetes managment to grow up before there is data on growthparameters But meanwhile, at https://doi.10.1542/peds.2017-3349 the reports suggest impressive HBA1Cs and very low hypo rates.
Whilst obviously not likely to be diabetic, Inuit and Laplanders, children, pregnant women, mothers, men have all thrived for centuries on zero-carb diets. Not saying that is the only way, the only diet but it does have an impressive track record.
And though we both made it through despite not having all the tech and knowledge about things like the DCCT i know of many who did not. I just like to think that now all new TIDs deserve to have the best including knowledge of things like DCCT, whatever diet works and when and if to alter diets, just as sometimes insulins and thier delivery systems need to change, easy access to pumps, CGM when and if needed. The proof of better outcomes is there, even though not everyone will comply.

Reactions: Leeannea

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all
7.5 on waking
I read the whole of Amy's story, and honestly its disheartening for me and frustrating, because as you probably realised, I'm in very much the same position as Amy was. I'm also stubborn, like what I eat, and think that most vegetables are gross and only eat them because I should. I think I could incorporate some low carb meals into my life, but I wouldn't want to only be able to eat low carb.

Anyway, I got back to my uni house last night. Have to start my essay today, and may look into the Libre training my nurse sent me.
Good luck @Jazz97 with the essay writing and the food

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning fellow caddy contents
Apart from a customer in Sweden who doesn’t understand uk public holidays, today has been quiet and uneventful so far. Woke on 5.9 which is good as my current target is 6.0. It is higher than usual to improve my hypo awareness ... which seems to be working but I am planning to stick a 6.0 until the end of May.

I have been reading bits of Amy’s story. It is an interesting read but, controversially, I don’t like her mother. She seems like she needs to be in control. She writes about managing the diabetes but I think she is trying to control it. Amy’s Hb1ac is very impressive but I wonder if her control is too tight ... at least it is tighter than someone without diabetes. Most people without diabetes who take a random BG reading with my meter, come out with a value between 5.0 and 5.5, yet Amy’s target is 4.6; people without diabetes spike to 8 to 9 but Amy’s diet spikes her to 6.
The blog only describes management of diabetes with respect to food. Maybe a 10 year old does not have the stress we do and maybe she doesn’t do as much exercise as I do and maybe she doesn’t get ill, ... but there is more to life for someone with diabetes than what food does to your BG.
I try to advocate balance and looking after all of my body: not just the diabetes but also the mind and more.
I hope Amy is happy and continues to be able to manage her diabetes when she grows up to the level her mother expects.

That said, I understand the low carb picture and understand why it helps many people with diabetes. It is something I take into consideration but in balance with everything else.
@helensaramay I hope Amy is happy too and I agree her mother is a bit intense but I'm sure she's got a kind heart:)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
New regime? Ha going to have blinis (have to check how many I can get away with without a bolus), salmon and sour cream and dill for lunch. Think there might be a glass of wine coming on.
Too nippy to go nettle bashing

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

If dry and cooked are different, what's the info on the packet?

Its filled pasta with chicken and chorizo, so hopefully its more meat than actual pasta!

Cooked white pasta is just shy of 33 carb per 100g.
Dry white pasta is 72g carb per 100g.

This is because dry pasta absorbs water - 100g dry pasta turns into 100g*75/31 = 242g of cooked pasta which would be a mahoosive portion!

If it's a ready meal the values on the pack stand. I thought you were making your own - sorry.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Just to note @Kinnki, children with epilepsy are often prescribed low carb/keto diets as part of their treatment and have not been reported as having growth problems. There are likely to be a few with TID in that lot too, although not sure of the stats on that

I've had epilepsy for over 50 years now, but only been T1 for 15. My parents were never advised about dietary control although it might have helped in my teens when I was so drugged I was barely conscious most of the time. Certainly all of my teens are a total blur and I can't pick out any specific incidents. How I got my O and A levels remains a total mystery to this day. I don't remember a blind thing about it all.

Might have been nice if diet could have helped.

I didn't regain consciousness until my early 20's when I went on carbemazepine. Admittedly I take a large dose but it gives me terrific control and I'm aware of my surroundings and life! They keep wanting me to change but I steadfastly ignore them - if it ain't broke, for heavens' sake don't fix it!!

Jazz97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked white pasta is just shy of 33 carb per 100g.
Dry white pasta is 72g carb per 100g.

This is because dry pasta absorbs water - 100g dry pasta turns into 100g*75/31 = 242g of cooked pasta which would be a mahoosive portion!

If it's a ready meal the values on the pack stand. I thought you were making your own - sorry.
Ah ok, think I've got you! I'll be careful, thank you

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting my fellow caddys. Most of us look to have decent BG so well done to one and all.

After my terrible Saturday night early Sunday morning figures all is looking good here. For past 24 hours I have been in target, for 89% of time, target being BG 4.5--BG 8.0, so happy with that.

Had a clearout of wardrobes could not believe how much stuff we have, 3 bin bags full off to charity shop. Cleared back garden of 3 bags of old wood old plant pots and other rubbish so off to dump with that. Rock n Roll lifestyle or what

Off to that there London for a training course later this week. Train down and flying back from Stansted. First time going through airport security with pump, so this should be fun. I have a letter from DSN as well as info from CAA, so will look forward to seeing how this goes

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB Interesting link, read the whole lot. I agree with @helensaramy the more I read the more I disliked the mother. Am examining the reasons why, is it because she is talking a lot of sense (and I’m burying my head in the sand) or is it because she is so controlling. Jury’s out! I also agree about non diabetics spiking for a short time. Is that because the body needs that short glucose boost, and by keeping too rigid a control we are doing something ultimately damaging. When all said and done the bodies design is amazing. Anyway without a pump, micromanaging to that degree would be nigh on impossible. Am sticking under the 100 so doing my best.
It is raining cats and dogs outside our window, glad bank holidays are just another day in the life of us retired folk. Otherwise I would be very ticked off. Planning a little trip to Lincolnshire coast this week, parents away so going to use their house as a base. So the weather better buck up a little.