T2s: What was your fasting BG this morning, and what did you eat yesterday?

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 6.8 at 0600, food yesterday was;

Breakfast 3/4 cup honey nut cheerios w/2% milk, black tea, 500 mg metformin
Lunch: green salad w/Kraft Catalina dressing, black tea
Dinner: 8 pork ribs with homemade bbq sauce, Japanese cabbage salad, buttered carrots, greek salad, granddaughter's fruit, custard and cake trifle, 1/4 cup blueberries, glass of red wine, 500 mg metformin
Snack: 2 glasses rum and diet Pepsi

Warmer today and snow is melting, FBG of 6.8 undoubtedly the result of eating the granddaughter's trifle which I'm sure caused the sugars to skyrocket.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This morning my fasting glucose reading was 7.4 mmol/L

My meals yesterday:

* breastfast 2 medium light boiled eggs, 2 small slices of Hovis Seed Sensations toasted with Clover spread and 1 mug of banana milk

* lunch 3 white rolls with scotisch smoked salmon and butter. 150g fish total. 400g Heinz Pea & Ham soup and 1 medium orange and 1 chunky kitt katt

* dinner 250g pillau rice with tesco take out red Thai curry and 30g poppadoms and 2 medium oranges

I know that's probably 5000Kcal, which is probably why my readings were higher yesterday than the day before that :

View attachment 32768
It isn't the total calories that matter so much, it's the total carbs which raise your bgs. You do seem to be eating a lot of carb heavy food. The bread rolls, oranges, kitkat, and pilau rice would raise your bgs.

Reactions: Shas3

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday 04/05/2019

Breakfast- Oven cooked omelette
Lunch - Chicken Curry, Broccoli stir fry and salad

Sunday 05/05/2019
FBG(04:30) 7.1

17:30 - Blood sugar before dinner 6.3
Dinner - Chicken Curry, Cabbage and Broccoli stir fry and salad

Monday 06/05/2019
FBG(06:15) 7.2
Dinner - Chicken Curry, Cauliflower stir fry, Aubergine curry and salad

Tuesday 07/05/2019
FBG(06:15) 8.4

Last edited:

Aethalides

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike some things
It isn't the total calories that matter so much, it's the total carbs which raise your bgs. You do seem to be eating a lot of carb heavy food. The bread rolls, oranges, kitkat, and pilau rice would raise your bgs.
Owanges bad? Diabetic nutritionist I sar said they were fine. Orange is almost the only fruit I eat

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Owanges bad? Diabetic nutritionist I sar said they were fine. Orange is almost the only fruit I eat
Hi there... as others have mentioned it is all about CARBS and not so much about calories. Fruits while having loads of great nutrients / vitamins etc. are also high on carbs. They can have a big impact on BG. It is perfectly fine including fruits but limited quantity per day.. i do one fruit a day max and try to get a variety over a week.

The "white rolls"?!? you mention - if that is white bread - i would say that is a definite overkill...

Anyway... lots of info on the forum about role of CARBS and how to limit... many members have had great control o their BG numbers by limiting carbs... some go as low as 20 grams a day... some limit to 100 grams... hope you find what wotks for you... good luck

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Aethalides, its very nice to meet you.How long have you been T2? Can you tell us a little about you? Do you 'eat to your meter'? Test before meal,then see 2 hours after what result test is? I tested everything I normally ate ,1 item at a time,to see what was good or bad for ME.

Most of us here have real problems with most carbs,especially highly processed like breads,pasta,rice and potatoes,starches and wheat flour are horrible.1 slice of bread will ruin my next sugar.Think of those foods as swallowing spoons full of sugar because that is what our bodies convert them to.Sugars,our arch enemy.

I include 1 fruit a day and Im OK with that on numbers.

So try a few days or more (like forever) without any of those carbs,just meats and fatty foods,eggs,and above ground vegetables are pretty successful for a lot of us.Some of us are more strict on carbs,but most all really limit them.

Also,we are all different.I can eat corn,lots here cant.So you test to find your numbers.

So eat to your meter.An example is today Im trying oatmeal,test before and after.I suspect a rise more than I like,so avoided it,but today,with my High Fat Low Carb diet (HFLC) for about 2 months,Im ready to test it.

Also I applaud your getting educated,but what the mainstream sources teach on diet is very questionable,most of us would call it criminal Im sure.Follow the meals folks here are eating and it will do you a lot better,these folks are doing it,these 'educators' arent.HFLC,your new mantra.

For a candy snack,85% chocolate is supposed to be OK....for me it just made me crave more so not worth it.I also like the Russell Stover sugar free chocolates,but again,not every day for me.

If you have an issue with you just cant drop certain foods,get over it.HFLC has so many good yummy foods to replace them with.I love bread,its my staple.Now my attitude is,Do I want to eat bread and die,or do I want to eliminate it and live.Thats the choice,not a hard decision IMO.

Again,really nice to meet you and I hope you will share your journey here with us.Welcome!:happy:

Reactions: Prem51 and Shas3

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also,here is a 6 hour course broken into 6 segments.Its the best thing Ive ever seen to educate yourself on diabetes and obesity.This man nails it with good science and not agenda.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
0600-FBG after 12.25 hour fats-4.55
0620-Cottage cheese,tomato,fatty pork scratchings
0745-2 pieces 85% chocolate
1120-medium dill pickle
1430-2 fatty pork ribs,Sweet potato,small amount french fries,spinach and zucchini
2045-Large burrito in bowl without tortilla or sauces
2200-2 small clementine tangerines

0915-FBG after 11.25 hour fast-4.77

D

Deleted member 371625

Tuesday 7/5
FBG (05:30) 4.0
Breakfast 1 (5.30am): Porridge (almond milk), nectarine, raspberries, walnuts {272 Cal / 34.7g Carbs}
……………………………...2 mile run
……………………………...5 km on rowing machine [23 min 52 sec]
Breakfast 2 (8.30am): Garlic mushrooms, toast (one slice, sourdough)/
Juice from one orange {142 Cal / 23.3g Carbs}

Snack (11am): Banana {62 Cal / 14.1g Carbs}
….………………………...….2 mile run
……………………………….7 x 500m [sprints, 1 minute rests] on rowing machine

Lunch (12pm): Texas chilli [leftovers], sweet potato wedges, guacamole {406 Cal / 30.9g Carbs}
Strawberries, peach, yoghurt, pecans {124 Cal / 9.4g Carbs}

Snack (4pm): Celeriac & apple soup, cornbread {119 Cal / 20.5g Carbs}

Dinner (6pm): Coquina squash, fennel & pea risotto {346 Cal / 40.2g Carbs}
Pear, blackberries, yoghurt, hazelnuts {152g Cal / 13.9 Carbs}

4 cups of coffee (2 decaf)

Calories 1701
Carbs 197.9g
Protein 86.4g
Fat 53.8g (Sat Fat 10.6g / Trans fats 0.4g)

All food cooked from scratch, if you would like any recipes please just ask

D

Deleted member 371625

This morning my fasting glucose reading was 7.4 mmol/L

My meals yesterday:

* breastfast 2 medium light boiled eggs, 2 small slices of Hovis Seed Sensations toasted with Clover spread and 1 mug of banana milk

* lunch 3 white rolls with scotisch smoked salmon and butter. 150g fish total. 400g Heinz Pea & Ham soup and 1 medium orange and 1 chunky kitt katt

* dinner 250g pillau rice with tesco take out red Thai curry and 30g poppadoms and 2 medium oranges

I know that's probably 5000Kcal, which is probably why my readings were higher yesterday than the day before that :

View attachment 32768
You need to be careful with carbs.
I kept mine to 120g/day for several months whilst losing weight. It has gone up to an average of about 165g/day (combined with moderate exercise) now that I don't want to lose any more weight.
My FBG is always under 4.5 and 2 hours pp almost always under 5. HbA1c has been 32-35 for the last 2 years, but I put in the work to get here.

Your BGs are not ridiculously high so maybe a few tweaks to begin with.

For example, 3 white rolls could be 2 brown, and have an orange OR a KitKat

Having a large portion of rice AND bread AND oranges probably not a good idea either.

The key is to see what affects you and modify it.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, not reporting for next few days because away in Kananaskis, but FBG this morning at 0650 was 5.2. See you all in a few days...

Reactions: Venkat K and Shas3

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday 07/05/2019
Two spoons of nuts mixture

18:00 Blood sugar before dinner 6.2
Dinner - Chicken Curry, Cauliflower rice, Aubergine and egg stir fry and salad
Two spoons of nuts mixture

Wednesday 08/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 7.3

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK,did the oatmeal test,not happy with numbers so I wont be eating it.

0915-FBG after 11.25 hour fast- 4.77,86 US
1005-Bowl of oatmeal
1210-BG- 5.44,116 US.Thats a 30 point rise US,NOT happy. "NO OATMEAL FOR YOU!" using your best 'Soup Nazi' voice. :mad: :stop:

1215- 25g pork scratching
1325-Salad with 1/2 avocado,cottage cheese and olive oil/vinegar dressing
1930-BG 5, 90 US...a few pork rinds

2030-100g Fish (Swai),can of green beans with bacon,zucchini, and cucumbers with olive oil/vinegar
2230-BG 5.94, 107 US. Thats only a 17 point rise US after that big meal vrs 30 for just a bowl of oatmeal,WOW!

0030-Dill pickle

0315-BG 4.6, 84 US

Upshot,I like the lowest I can go,and oatmeal is not it for me.
Hope Ya'll have a great day.Cheers from California. :woot:

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday 7/5
Snack (4pm): Celeriac & apple soup, cornbread {119 Cal / 20.5g Carbs}
I had to look that up,how do YOU eat it when you do? I'd like to try some.
Thanks,Spuds

D

Deleted member 371625

Wednesday 8/5
FBG (05:30) Not measured today
Rest day today, no significant exercise

Breakfast (7.30am): Scrambled eggs, ham, mushrooms, baked beans, toast (one slice, seeded)/
Juice from half a grapefruit {388 Cal / 27.6g Carbs}

Lunch (12pm): Sweet potato, coconut & chilli soup {107 Cal / 16.1g Carbs}
Chicken, hummus, fig & avocado salad {348 Cal / 13.6g Carbs}
Peach, raspberries, yoghurt, pecans {118 Cal / 11.4g Carbs}

Snack (3pm): Mushroom soup, croutons {129 Cal / 14.3g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 4.5
Dinner (6pm): Linguine with prawns, scallops & squid {460 Cal / 41.4g Carbs}
Malaga ice cream {143g Cal / 24.8g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee (2 decaf)

Calories 1772
Carbs 159.7g
Protein 114.8g
Fat 64.8g (Sat Fat 17.1g / Trans fats 0.6g)

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Worryingly high levels the last few days. I had a good run of 4's and 5's, then suddenly morning FBG's in the 6's and this morning it spiked to 8.3 at 9.30 a.m. even though I don't eat breakfast, and has only gone down to 6.3 as of 2 p.m.!!

I haven't changed my eating patterns, I fast all day and eat plain chicken or ground beef and some plain green vegetables for dinner, totalling about 900 net calories and well under 30g net carbs.

I'll test again this evening and if it's still over 6 I'll skip dinner.

Apparently it MIGHT be because I've had a slight cold, but my throat isn't as sore today so the spike over 8 feels very trollish.

Reactions: Venkat K and Prem51

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday 08/05/2019

Two black coffee at work

20:30 Blood sugar after 24 hours fasting 7.1

8500 steps by end of day

Thursday 09/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 6.1 (After 36 hours fasting)
Ketones 0.5

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Adm_Mad,those are odd results.Maybe youre right,it was the cold.All else the same what else could it be?
I was surprised how a little stress would increase mine.
Sun is shining,birds are chirping,waking up to go visit the BIL,a 1 hour drive 1/2 freeway,do paperwork and go to IN N OUT burgers for lunch.Im having the protein burger,a regular burger with a lettuce wrap,no bun.

FBG last 2 AM's is 4.66. That'll work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shas3