Type 2 - anyone else depressed by diagnosis, and feel extreme guilt and shame over food?

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Diakat I’ve been prescribed a medication for depression and anxiety that shouldn’t cause weight gain, a low dose first to ease me in and she wants me to call her at the end of this week and make an appointment for the week after to keep track of how I’m going.

Thanks everyone. But can we not have any fat shaming in this thread, thanks.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not if they are loading up their trolly with metabolic junk. People who are grossly overweight doing themselves nothing but harm. They may well have all kinds of health issues. NONE, are helped by cakes, biscuits, chips, pizza, chocolate.

They more than likely were diabetic, certainly could be now or in the future. My aim was to show the op they have nothing to be ashamed of. The people doing nothing are the ones who should hang their head.

How does that post help the op in any way.
How do you know the food in the trolley is for them to eat? I too am a lump who has some of those things in my trolley for others in my family - I never touch them

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Adm_Mad good to hear that your worries were listened to and needs taken into account.
Keep in touch and remember to look after yourself.

We”ll have no fat shaming anywhere on the forum if possible. While we are happy to celebrate weight loss if it comes, improved numbers and health are the main aims.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51
M

Member496333

@Adm_Mad. Best wishes and good luck on your journey. It gets a lot easier. In fact some might argue it’s not necessarily all that big of a deal. Try not to stress over it. I’m confident that you can overcome it given time. During the meanwhilst you can be fairly sure that anything you want to discuss will be reciprocated here.

You got this and we got your back. How can you possibly fail?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The further I go down this path the more powerful I feel.
I control my food.
I control my exercise
I have lost a load of weight
I have my bg under tight control (between 4 and 6 regardless of meals)

All I need to do to realise how good the place I am in now is to look, today shopping. The lumps with obvious weight issues piling their trollies with what amounted to sugar, the people thinking low fat cream is healthy (its just watered down cream with thickeners and sweeteners, blurgh).

I hold my head high, I look good, feel good, more importantly I feel strong and healthy. It may be seen as sanctimonious by some but I consider the day I was diagnosed as one of the most pivotal (for the better) days in my life. If only it had been sooner.

I have NOTHING to be embarrassed or ashamed of, I am living WITH my body now not forcing it to do strange things and its repaying that faith in spades.

You have joined a intelligent and very enlightened group being part of this forum, be empowered. No guilt. The people who should feel guilt are those that don't embrace the wonderful machine given to them by nature, we only get to use it for a bit before nature has it back and recycles it for somebody else. I aim to enjoy it.

I wish you well, be proud. Enjoy your food and enjoy your body, we only get one.

Please be aware that the terminology we use can affect those who have suffered, sometimes on a daily basis, the growing stigma of obesity and Type 2 Diabetes.

Remember that up to 20% of those diagnosed with Pre Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes are not overweight or obese so judging one person by what they have in their trolley is not a good guide you would have to judge everyone's trolley and, to be honest, it is no one's job to judge in the first place. Simply put, what you are saying is that if a slim person has Doritos and chocolate cake in their trolley then that's just fine and dandy but if an overweight person has the same products in their trolley then they should know better. There's no difference, we are all at risk.

You may find the recent presentations by Gary Taubes interesting, he covers the 'Slim people telling non slim people where they're going wrong' scenario. Please do not become an ex "lump" who has become slim and as smug as the 'I've always been a healthy eater/excerciser' slim person who judges.

Please see my signature.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

ZoomZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hunger pangs.
I’m near the end of my third week since diagnosis and still have quite a lot of weight to lose. I’m going low carb but NOT keto level low as I want to keep vegetables in my diet.

Did any other type 2’s who got this disease through bad lifestyle find it very hard to not associate food with feeling ashamed and disgusted at yourself, and guilty about eating because eating was what got you into this mess in the first place? (I’m not saying this is the case for every type 2 diabetic but it’s what I feel about myself.) I simply cannot foresee ever being able to enjoy or get pleasure from food again, and feel like I don’t deserve to.

I’m deliberately making the food I cook taste bland and boring by over cooking and not seasoning, and sometimes sprinkling baking soda on it to make it taste actually bad. The first few meals I didn’t do this and was okay, but the last week or so if I make something that doesn’t taste bad or bland I feel like I didn’t deserve to eat it and throw it up.

I know this is a bit messed up but I’m hoping I’m not alone in these kind of feelings. I have become very depressed since my diagnosis including not being able to function at work (bursting into tears when someone tried to pressure me into having a piece of cake after I repeatedly said no), not being able to feel engaged or energised by anything, not being able to visualise a future, thinking about suicide.

I’ve made an emergency appointment with my GP for tomorrow to discuss antidepressants even though I’m terrified about the weight gain, and even though it costs $100 more for a weekend appointment.

Feel much the same. Dark times. I’m 3 weeks into my diagnosis and working hard to keep low. Or no carb. So hard to get out of bed in the morning and even harder to get out of the house. Luckily I have my own business so don’t need to get in until I’m ready. Told all my employees about my situation and they are coming together to support me just the same as we get together for each other. Best of luck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feel much the same. Dark times. I’m 3 weeks into my diagnosis and working hard to keep low. Or no carb. So hard to get out of bed in the morning and even harder to get out of the house. Luckily I have my own business so don’t need to get in until I’m ready. Told all my employees about my situation and they are coming together to support me just the same as we get together for each other. Best of luck.
This is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to find a level which works for you. Sometimes compromise is needed between food choices, withing reasonable parameters, and being able to function.

Low carbing, on this site and elsewhere, is under 130g of carbs a day. Its OK to gradually work down to find your working level, both according to your meter, and your general energy level. We all react differently, our needs are not all the same. Be gentle and kind to yourself on this journey.

ZoomZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hunger pangs.
This is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to find a level which works for you. Sometimes compromise is needed between food choices, withing reasonable parameters, and being able to function.

Low carbing, on this site and elsewhere, is under 130g of carbs a day. Its OK to gradually work down to find your working level, both according to your meter, and your general energy level. We all react differently, our needs are not all the same. Be gentle and kind to yourself on this journey.
Thanks Lucylocket. Appreciate it.

DawnOfTheZed

@ZoomZ and future noobies here

Here's my understanding. I'd be pleased to be corrected if I've got anything wrong.

On T2 diagnosis our hba1c is often high. This is glycated haemoglobin (hb). Excess glucose in the blood attached to the hb to make it glycated. This hb is damaged and less efficient at passing oxygen to cells. Unfortunately this damage is permanent for that particular hb. This adds to the general fatigue often felt around first dx because our cells can't use oxygen easily.

Good news is that our hb is replaced regularly. Depending on age, every 2-3 months. So even if you go low carb immediately, it will take several weeks to improve your hb and feel less tired. So please be kind to yourself and give yourself a chance to improve.

Best wishes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just check that along with lowering carbs you’ve increased fats? Otherwise you won’t have an energy source. Also made sure you are getting enough fluids and electrolytes eg adding some salt. Carbs hold water. Less carbs in your body means less water. Drinking more water and having fewer processed foods can mean electrolytes such as magnesium and potassium can drop. All of the above can feel pretty awful and if one of them is the cause it’s quite easy and quick to fix. Of course the mental shock of processing diagnosis can take its toll too. Glad you have great support around you.

DawnOfTheZed

Can I just check that along with lowering carbs you’ve increased fats? Otherwise you won’t have an energy source. Also made sure you are getting enough fluids and electrolytes eg adding some salt. Carbs hold water. Less carbs in your body means less water. Drinking more water and having fewer processed foods can mean electrolytes such as magnesium and potassium can drop. All of the above can feel pretty awful and if one of them is the cause it’s quite easy and quick to fix. Of course the mental shock of processing diagnosis can take its toll too. Glad you have great support around you.

Ooh thanks! I forgot to mention these important points.