Type 1 Frozen insulin pen in fridge is it still good to use once it warms up? For type 1

Triscornia

Hello, we have a box of insulin pens in the fridge and today we need to change pen but it seemed to be frozen can we still use it once it warms up?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If there are glass parts don't use it - my trulicity pens carry a warning not to use if they have been frozen, so you could check the medicine info as well to be sure.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I definitely wouldn't risk insulin that had been frozen, particularly ones such as lantus which have been designed to have a particular time profile.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Simple answer is no, it renders the insulin ineffective so it's best to replace.

Why has it frozen if you have it stored in the fridge, do you need a new fridge, check your storage carefully, in regards to storage:

Storing insulin
Keep any insulin you're not using in the fridge whatever the time of year. Don’t put it in the freezer compartment as it may damage the insulin. If you leave it out of the fridge for 28 days or more you’ll need to throw it away as the insulin will have broken down.

Some insulins may need to be stored slightly differently so make sure you read the information leaflet that comes with yours.

Insulin needs to be kept at temperatures lower than 25°C (77°F). The ideal storage temperature is 2 to 6°C (36 to 43°F). Room temperatures can be below 25°C, but they can be higher if the heating is on or it’s summer, so keep your insulin in the fridge.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, we have a box of insulin pens in the fridge and today we need to change pen but it seemed to be frozen can we still use it once it warms up?

Hi,

Unfortunatly, don't use it.
There is a high chance the insulin has spoiled. Moisture in the pen may have frozen, expanded & done damage to the pens actual dosing mechanism too..

D

Deleted Account

The ideal storage temperature is 2 to 6°C (36 to 43°F). Room temperatures can be below 25°C, but they can be higher if the heating is on or it’s summer, so keep your insulin in the fridge.
Take care if you are using insulin straight out of the fridge as it can contain bubbles.
It is best to let it come up to room temperature.

This is absolutely fine as no one with an insulin pump (containing insulin) carries a fridge around with them.

Triscornia

Hi,

Unfortunatly, don't use it.
There is a high chance the insulin has spoiled. Moisture in the pen may have frozen, expanded & done damage to the pens actual dosing mechanism too..

Gosh it all really happening today for us. Highs, lows and frozen pens.
Thank you for responding.

Triscornia

Simple answer is no, it renders the insulin ineffective so it's best to replace.

Why has it frozen if you have it stored in the fridge, do you need a new fridge, check your storage carefully, in regards to storage:

Storing insulin
Keep any insulin you're not using in the fridge whatever the time of year. Don’t put it in the freezer compartment as it may damage the insulin. If you leave it out of the fridge for 28 days or more you’ll need to throw it away as the insulin will have broken down.

Some insulins may need to be stored slightly differently so make sure you read the information leaflet that comes with yours.

Insulin needs to be kept at temperatures lower than 25°C (77°F). The ideal storage temperature is 2 to 6°C (36 to 43°F). Room temperatures can be below 25°C, but they can be higher if the heating is on or it’s summer, so keep your insulin in the fridge.

Thank you for the information, I guess we need a new fridge but everything else in the fridge seems fine.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the information, I guess we need a new fridge but everything else in the fridge seems fine.

I know in my fridge (which was new about a year and a bit ago), if you leave stuff touching the sides (for quite a while) it can freeze it - that's what happened to my old box of Novorapid (which I was keeping as a spare in case the Fiasp didn't agree with me). So it may just be you need to more careful about placement - though it could be a faulty fridge of course - but if everything else was fine it makes you wonder.
(Or maybe I just shoulda spent more on the fridgefreezer :))