Struggling with what to eat

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am having trouble with picking things to eat that I actually like. I need to eat fewer carbs for lunch and snacks. I have no clue as to what to do. I hate certain fruits and I don’t eat cheese unless it’s in a toasted sandwich. Tuna ewe. Can anyone help with tips or lovely meals I can make. Sorry for troubling you guys. :(

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I don't eat much fruit but I'm very fond of salad veg and raw cauli/broccoli at lunch. I have some variety of hummus (caramalised onion, tomato & basil, garlic & herb, or just plain). Also, soups - I like soup. Home made soups can be very filling and low carb - look on line (Amazon is my go to) for low-carb cookery books, or there are loads of recipes on line. I have one slice of wholemeal bread with my soup and usually an Asda low cal/low carb, vegan jelly.

Make something in the pasta line but triple the veg in the sauce, hugely reduce the pasta. Yum! Don't have to have cheese since you don't like it. Loads of options available.

I'm limited with ideas for you because I'm vegan, but I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Edited because I don't eat much fruit, but eat veg of every description.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat much veg but I'm very fond of salad veg and raw cauli/broccoli at lunch. I have some variety of hummus (caramalised onion, tomato & basil, garlic & herb, or just plain). Also, soups - I like soup. Home made soups can be very filling and low carb - look on line (Amazon is my go to) for low-carb cookery books, or there are loads of recipes on line. I have one slice of wholemeal bread with my soup and usually an Asda low cal/low carb, vegan jelly.

Make something in the pasta line but triple the veg in the sauce, hugely reduce the pasta. Yum! Don't have to have cheese since you don't like it. Loads of options available.

I'm limited with ideas for you because I'm vegan, but I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Thank you for these options I will definitely look into them. I love soup as well. Xxx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like cauliflower cheese - cook some cauliflower, drain it and place in a warm dish, heap it up and cover with cream cheese then grated cheese- I like red Leicester. A pinch of spice or herbs can liven it up. Place in a warm oven to melt the cheese, or grill lightly if preferred.
I buy packs of chicken thighs and roast them to make the skins crispy - sit them on a rack so they get heated all round - use the juices to cook mushrooms.

Reactions: porl69

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds yummy. I do love chicken so I will definitely try that out. :)

D

Deleted Account

@Vickitub what are your reasons for wanting to reduce carbs.
Most people with type 1 choose not to reduce carbs but to manage their insulin to match what they want to eat.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Avocado, with or without vinaigrette or mayonaise......

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am having trouble with picking things to eat that I actually like. I need to eat fewer carbs for lunch and snacks. I have no clue as to what to do. I hate certain fruits and I don’t eat cheese unless it’s in a toasted sandwich. Tuna ewe. Can anyone help with tips or lovely meals I can make. Sorry for troubling you guys. :(

As @helensaramay has said, why do you want to reduce your carb intake? I am guessing that you do not carb count as yet? Being newly diagnosed

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Vickitub what are your reasons for wanting to reduce carbs.
Most people with type 1 choose not to reduce carbs but to manage their insulin to match what they want to eat.

I’m still on a fixed does and even with that my bloods are high after eating. It’s driving me nuts.

D

Deleted Account

I’m still on a fixed does and even with that my bloods are high after eating. It’s driving me nuts.
Many people when first diagnosed are on fixed dose but advised to "eat as usual" and your fixed doses are adjusted accordingly. You may want to talk to your diabetes team and tell them the problems you are having rather than letting diabetes impact your life more than necessary.
I found it useful to be "in charge" right from the start rather than eating to my insulin or not doing thing because of my diabetes ... although I can be very stubborn about such things. This has set me up for pushing my diet, exercise, lifestyle since I was diagnosed 15 years ago. It has not always been easy but I have never been put off doing or eating something because I have type 1.
Lastly (because I really should do some work and stop getting distracted by the forum!), if you want to learn about carb counting you could take a look at the bertie online course and teach yourself (https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/)

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people when first diagnosed are on fixed dose but advised to "eat as usual" and your fixed doses are adjusted accordingly. You may want to talk to your diabetes team and tell them the problems you are having rather than letting diabetes impact your life more than necessary.
I found it useful to be "in charge" right from the start rather than eating to my insulin or not doing thing because of my diabetes ... although I can be very stubborn about such things. This has set me up for pushing my diet, exercise, lifestyle since I was diagnosed 15 years ago. It has not always been easy but I have never been put off doing or eating something because I have type 1.
Lastly (because I really should do some work and stop getting distracted by the forum!), if you want to learn about carb counting you could take a look at the bertie online course and teach yourself (https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/)

Thank you so much, I will be talking Tony nurse on Friday so I will mention this to her. I’m lucky to have found this forum you are all so nice. Xxx

Reactions: Kim Possible

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novorapid and lantus I might have spelt those wrong

I do em both... :) You win a prize for getting the spelling bee right!
Theoretically, you should be able to adjust the dose of Novorapid to the amount of carbs per meal..

Have a word with your HCPs regarding making sure your Lantus is doing it's job first. It's the foundation before you get your insulin to carb ratio right. https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

You can technically chose what you wish to eat. Not all carb combinations in a meal are equal. Bolus can be like good comedy, the timing is crucial.

Please let us know how you got on with Tony, your DSN.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do em both... :) You win a prize for getting the spelling bee right!
Theoretically, you should be able to adjust the dose of Novorapid to the amount of carbs per meal..

Have a word with your HCPs regarding making sure your Lantus is doing it's job first. It's the foundation before you get your insulin to carb ratio right. https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

You can technically chose what you wish to eat. Not all carb combinations in a meal are equal. Bolus can be like good comedy, the timing is crucial.

Please let us know how you got on with Tony, your DSN.

Yeah I got something right lol my spellings can be horrid. Plus I got my nurses name wrong oops it’s Anne Maire how did I do that. I will of course let you know and thank you for the link. You are all making me feel so much better xx