Extended fasting

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the link between feelings of hunger and automatically reaching for a snack or mealtimes have been broken after my extended fast.
Don't need breakfast or lunch but start to feel hungry around 5ish in the afternoon.
If I don't snack on peanuts whilst watching TV my total calories can be quite low.
But some peanuts and a few glasses of wine in the evening soon adds up.
Yes I feel the same.. when eating get a bit peckish about 3 pm.. so just had a nice cuppa (tea this time) with a pack of prosciutto.... 70g of loveliness should be fine now until dinner..

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars were around 8 last month. After @bulkbiker suggestions i made few adjustments to my diet and two meals a day carried on for a month. Blood sugars reduced to around 7. Last weekend i have done two days continuous fasting. My morning fasting sugars 4.9 which is lowest ever. Monday and Tuesday my fasting sugars back to 7.
May be i need to keep doing extended fasting few times to fix my insulin resistance.

I was keep logging what i was eating and exercise on different forum.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/page-52

Reactions: zand

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars were around 8 last month. After @bulkbiker suggestions i made few adjustments to my diet and two meals a day carried on for a month. Blood sugars reduced to around 7. Last weekend i have done two days continuous fasting. My morning fasting sugars 4.9 which is lowest ever. Monday and Tuesday my fasting sugars back to 7.
May be i need to keep doing extended fasting few times to fix my insulin resistance.

I was keep logging what i was eating and exercise on different forum.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/page-52

I'm very glad to hear that you have found it useful and 4.9 FBG wow that's better than I normally get so well done indeed!

Reactions: Venkat K

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the link between feelings of hunger and automatically reaching for a snack or mealtimes have been broken after my extended fast.
Don't need breakfast or lunch but start to feel hungry around 5ish in the afternoon.
If I don't snack on peanuts whilst watching TV my total calories can be quite low.
But some peanuts and a few glasses of wine in the evening soon adds up.

I'm much the same, and probably why I prefer one evening meal.. So I can work up an appetite thinking about it. And I try to avoid snacking, or if I do, make sure I've got fruit or something healthy to snack on. If I open a bottle of wine, I'll happily finish it and can polish off a big bag of dry roast peanuts if I'm not careful. So I try to avoid those as well :)

I've also stopped paying too much attention to calories, and I know sometimes they can be very low, ie some days I may just eat a couple of apples & some cheese. Next day, I'll probably compensate with a larger meal like a big bowl of chilli and veg. The most helpful addition has been my Tanita scales though so I can keep track of weight, fat & muscle composition and adjust my diet based on those trends.. And luckily those trends are still going in the right direction :)

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm much the same, and probably why I prefer one evening meal.. So I can work up an appetite thinking about it. And I try to avoid snacking, or if I do, make sure I've got fruit or something healthy to snack on. If I open a bottle of wine, I'll happily finish it and can polish off a big bag of dry roast peanuts if I'm not careful. So I try to avoid those as well :)

I've also stopped paying too much attention to calories, and I know sometimes they can be very low, ie some days I may just eat a couple of apples & some cheese. Next day, I'll probably compensate with a larger meal like a big bowl of chilli and veg. The most helpful addition has been my Tanita scales though so I can keep track of weight, fat & muscle composition and adjust my diet based on those trends.. And luckily those trends are still going in the right direction :)
Good to know I'm not the only one addicted to peanuts.
This evening I had 40g peanuts and 45g almonds with 2 glasses of wine.
Total calories consumed today is around 1400 considerably less than my calories expended.
I haven't checked my macro nutrients breakdown as yet.

Reactions: jpscloud

thesmileyone

A year or two ago I got to the point where I couldn't eat say, a cough sweet without having a food come afterwards. So I did an 8 day water-only fast. It fixed my problems with reactive hypoglycemia, though I had some scary times (the body will mimic hypoglycemia (false attacks)).

I want to do a 30 day one at some point. I have some tablets now with electrolytes in them which should make that a lot easier.

Reactions: Ponchu

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update on my current data after the 7 day liquid only fast.
On 4th November at the end of the fast my stats were as follows :
Weight 60.6kg, BMI 21.0 and body fat 25.5%. Waist was 88cm.
FBG was down to 4.7.
Today weight is 65.5kg, BMI 22.7 and body fat up to 29.4%.
FBG this morning was 6.2.
I have been eating a lot of carbs and no fasts except for skipping breakfast.
Unfortunately I'll be going to India for 10 weeks where the diet is carb rich and I won't be able to be precise with the foods I'll be eating.
I'll continue monitoring the FBG levels only. Hopefully I will be able to control the carbs.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday 08/05/2019

Two black coffee at work

20:30 Blood sugar after 24 hours fasting 7.1

8500 steps by end of day

Thursday 09/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 6.1 (After 36 hours fasting)
Ketones 0.5
Weight loss 0.7 Kg

Three black coffee at work
Cycle to work and Cycle back home 22 miles together
20:30 Blood sugar after 48 hours fasting 5.9
15300 steps by end of day

Friday 10/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 5.3 (After 60 hours fasting)
Ketones 0.5
Total Weight loss 1.5 Kg

3 green tea and one black coffee at work

18:00 Blood sugar after 72 hours fasting 4.9
3000 steps by end of day

Saturday 11/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 4.1 (After 84 hours fasting)
Ketones 1.5
Total Weight loss 1.7 Kg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll tag on to this thread if OP doesn't mind? I've just read through it and found it helpful for re-focus.

I need to seriously get down to some fasting, or more specifically, extended fasting now so I don't slip into bad habits.

I'm going to aim for 5 days coffee with cream, green tea, lemon and ginger tea and water.

Day 1
FBG 6.0 PM 4.9
Weight 262 lbs
Ketones not recorded
BP 120/72 PM

Feeling a little tired at the moment and would like to sleep more than my usual 8 hours. I'm just dealing with a mild virus and have also been hitting the carbs more than I should so not sure which is to blame.

Edited to add BP

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tag on to this thread if OP doesn't mind? I've just read through it and found it helpful for re-focus.

I need to seriously get down to some fasting, or more specifically, extended fasting now so I don't slip into bad habits.

I'm going to aim for 5 days coffee with cream, green tea, lemon and ginger tea and water.

Day 1
FBG 6.0
Weight 262 lbs
Ketones not recorded
BP PM

Feeling a little tired at the moment and would like to sleep more than my usual 8 hours. I'm just dealing with a mild virus and have also been hitting the carbs more than I should so not sure which is to blame.
Good luck!

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Day 1
FBG 6.0
Weight 262 lbs
Ketones not recorded
BP PM

Keep Posted your Results

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday 11/05/2019
FBG(06:30) 4.1 (After 84 hours fasting)
Ketones 1.5
Total Weight loss 1.7 Kg

18:00 Blood sugars 4.4 (After 4 days liquid fasting)
18:00 Bone Broth - Broke the fasting
Full day working in Garden
Fitbit Steps By end of day 14500

Sunday 12/05/2019
FBG(06:50) 4.7

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 2

This fast is going very well so far, but recently I've been caving in at two days so I may struggle later this afternoon. I'm feeling wonderful this morning, very clear, calm and kind of springy! The lovely sunshine is helping for sure.

I'm not measuring ketones yet, I'll probably start that tomorrow if I make it that far.

Last night I had a teaspoon of marmite dissolved in hot water, with a little added salt. Not sure if it is ok, but two hours after my BG had gone down a little and I think the salts and vitamins helped. I find bone broth really unpleasant, even when really hungry so hope marmite will be ok instead.

FBG 5.1
Weight 260 lbs
Ketones not recorded
BP PM 132/69

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 2

This fast is going very well so far, but recently I've been caving in at two days so I may struggle later this afternoon. I'm feeling wonderful this morning, very clear, calm and kind of springy! The lovely sunshine is helping for sure.

I'm not measuring ketones yet, I'll probably start that tomorrow if I make it that far.

Last night I had a teaspoon of marmite dissolved in hot water, with a little added salt. Not sure if it is ok, but two hours after my BG had gone down a little and I think the salts and vitamins helped. I find bone broth really unpleasant, even when really hungry so hope marmite will be ok instead.

FBG 5.1
Weight 260 lbs
Ketones not recorded
BP PM
The period around 48 hour is often the hardest but you can get through it.. !

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made it! Now to see if I can get to Friday afternoon.

Day 3

FBG 5.8 pm 4.3
Weight 257 lbs
BP 117/68 pm

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made it! Now to see if I can get to Friday afternoon.

Day 3

FBG 5.8
Weight 257 lbs
Will edit to add BP later
Keep strong you’ve got this! Well done for getting over the 48 h mountain.. downhill all the way from here.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep strong you’ve got this! Well done for getting over the 48 h mountain.. downhill all the way from here.
Oh I do hope so! Will test for ketones tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement x

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel great this morning- had a really good night's sleep last night. I was thinking about food a bit yesterday, but no real hunger going on and I wasn't thinking about food in an unhealthy way, more looking forward to enjoying it at the end of the fast.

Colleagues are amazed - although it isn't recommended to tell people, I do talk about my fasting and find that helps me to keep going. There is one "you're probably doing yourself some terrible harm" person but there are also two people who have taken up intermittent fasting themselves after talking to me, and love it.

I reduced metformin by one tablet yesterday and today, with no impact on blood sugar. I stopped taking januvia a couple of weeks ago, but I still take trulicity weekly.

Day 4

FBG 4.6 pm 4.1
Weight 257 lbs again
BP - 129/70
Ketones - 1.3 midday

Forgot to say I've been having marmite in hot water with salt and a dried porchini mushroom piece in the evenings, seems to help.

I am feeling like I really want to break my fast now, not because I don't feel good... I do... and not because I'm feeling hungry, because I'm not... I think I just want to indulge in eating and it feels quite hard to resist. I will grit my teeth though! I really want that 5 days under my belt. I may break a few hours early as I have quite a busy day tomorrow, but if I get through tonight and until about 11am tomorrow I'll be happy with that.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel great this morning- had a really good night's sleep last night. I was thinking about food a bit yesterday, but no real hunger going on and I wasn't thinking about food in an unhealthy way, more looking forward to enjoying it at the end of the fast.

Colleagues are amazed - although it isn't recommended to tell people, I do talk about my fasting and find that helps me to keep going. There is one "you're probably doing yourself some terrible harm" person but there are also two people who have taken up intermittent fasting themselves after talking to me, and love it.

I reduced metformin by one tablet yesterday and today, with no impact on blood sugar. I stopped taking januvia a couple of weeks ago, but I still take trulicity weekly.

Day 4

FBG 4.6
Weight 257 lbs again
BP - will edit to add later
Ketones - will edit to add early afternoon.
Nice one impressive results! Keep it up..