Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It depends what kind of plastic’s used as some is more easily recycled than others. The worst are those that use layers of different kinds and non-plastic materials, e.g. walkers crisp packets. Ideally there’s be no plastic at all but a biodegradable starch-based material that’d begin to break down after the use-by date of the packaged object and could then be composted.
Not quite so simple though:
A) Walkers are recycling crisp packs now
B) some compatible plastics won’t break down in domestic compost, ruin the recycling system if they get in with the non-compost stream, and can sometimes break down unpredictable.
C) making paper isn’t that environmentally friendly what with the bleach.
People are working on it but some swaps aren’t always the best.

Reactions: porl69

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ugh woke on a 2.8 at 6 am. Had to get up, been out early picking up litter and fixing signs, loads more to set up for our event this afternoon and I'm knackered already....hope I get a chance to visit both the tea and cake venues!

Reactions: kitedoc

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
There's still an awful lot of plastic (of all types) that is left on the beaches after high tide has gone out a bit. I remember visiting one tiny cove that had been used for a bbq the night before - it was appallingly littered. I don't think they'd picked up a bleep thing! It was so sad; they'd chosen that cove because it is beautiful and left behind an eyesore :banghead::(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I only had one bag with me so couldn't really make a dent in the rubbish...:grumpy:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Not quite so simple though:
A) Walkers are recycling crisp packs now
B) some compatible plastics won’t break down in domestic compost, ruin the recycling system if they get in with the non-compost stream, and can sometimes break down unpredictable.
C) making paper isn’t that environmentally friendly what with the bleach.
People are working on it but some swaps aren’t always the best.

Yes, I’m talking what’d ideally happen. It hasn’t yet. People still drop Walkers packets and lots of other plastics as litter, don’t want to post them to Walkers for recycling (there are only 2 places in the country where that kind of complex recycling can happen). I know of no compostable plastic that breaks down swiftly, but I was hoping that in an ideal world potato peelings etc would be more collected everywhere to create a starch based material like the wrappings already used on some products.
I think the biggest hurdle’s getting companies like Nestle and Cadbury to make any changes that’d affect profits.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Also, tinnies! Of all descriptions - soft drinks and booze. And plastic bottles, endless plastic water/coke bottles.....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
For packaging it’s consumer behaviour that need changing mostly just now, PET bottles are recyclable and profitable. Tins too. So recycle rather than dispose.
For medical use only certain polymers are approved again making it more complex. Not to mention potential biohazards.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s like so many of today’s rubbish things, plastic throwaway stuff’s grown and grown and grown in the last fifty years and the now generation doesn’t know what life’s like without it.
There was a group of parents and children crocodiling through the town yesterday with big revolutionary placards about walking to school - oh yeah, thought I, what’s new? Walking, or taking the bus to school was what we all did back in the day.
I agree though, it’s a complex problem, and ensuring supplies arrive undamaged and uncontaminated will need some good packaging science.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yeah - I always walked to school (but to be fair so did my son). And I remember my parents doing the weekly shop and taking proper shopping bags with them because there weren't plastic carriers. Now I have proper shopping bags! Jute or canvas, and they're great.

Both of us can think back to when we were little and remember phrases like "If you're cold, put a jumper on" and "waste not, want not) that were dinned endlessly into our unwilling ears. Now they turn out to be what we live by! What goes around comes around!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew! We dodge the ball of hosting the kitsch-fest and all it’s supporters, tv crews and divas next year.
I only found out we won because a neighbour came over and mentioned it. I excpect I won't notice much of the goings on next year, as I don't have a television and not sure where it will all happen but it definitely won't be near my house on the edge of the Dutch world :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My daughter, SIL, older granddaughter and baby granddaughter have just left, just looking at the battle zone which is my front room, baby granddaughter likes to keep me active :hilarious: lol
Oven is on and going to put the chicken in for roasting, as my daughter and her boyfriend will be here for Sunday dinner :) It's been a busy day, but a lovely one :joyful:

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We spent the afternoon cooking, which was enormous fun and now have main course ingredients stashed in the fridge ready for the week ahead.

Even found time to have a bath afterwards!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

And tonight - a first - lightly battered seitan "chicken" nuggets! Also this is the first time I ever deep-fried anything in my whole life. I just hope the nuggets taste right. We'll soon know.....

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Your latest avatar with the robin feeding her clutch seems very appropriate.
Your last one may have scared the baby granddaughter.

I love that robin avvie!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t eat crisps myself, but if you Google ‘Walkers crisps recycling points,’ there is a map showing all drop off points. Dozens of them. We even have one at our local nature reserve St Aidens!
My biggest bug bear is the little plastic covers on needles. Found it a huge worry if I dropped one, in case grandson found it. And they just go in the bin. At least in Leeds we now incinerate our waste and make electricity From it. Which as we only recycle plastic with the Pet no 1/2/4 on means a whole host of yoghurt pots etc go in our black bin.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I send all my used pods back to Insulet where they apparently incinerate them to power the factory. The rest I strip down as much as I can and put it in the relevant recycling bin, only the half of the Libre insertor with the needle and my syringe needles go in the sharps bin. Sensors go in the battery bin. Not ideal, but we can only do what we can.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My biggest bug bear is the little plastic covers on needles. Found it a huge worry if I dropped one, in case grandson found it.
No grand- or other children around here, so I find the little b*****s everywhere. Usually with a bare foot. They have a close resemblance to Lego's in the sound you hear when finding one. As per forum rules I can't describe that particular sound apart from ****, ****** ************, **** ** ***. *****.
Those covers do just as well as a DN or a podiatrist to check the state of the nerves in your feet. Much cheaper too.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_20171127_062508_365.jpg