T2s: What was your fasting BG this morning, and what did you eat yesterday?

D

Deleted member 371625

Friday 17/5
FBG (05:30) 4.0

Breakfast (7.30am): Bacon, egg yolks, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado toast (one slice, sourdough)/
Juice from one orange {384 Cal / 24.6g Carbs}

Snack (11am): Mushroom soup / Banana {148 Cal / 17.0g Carbs}
……………………………...2 mile run
……………………………...5 km on rowing machine [23 min 12 sec]
Smashed PB by 20 seconds (that's 30s in a week).
Maybe under 23 min is possible (I could never crack that in my 20s and that was 30 years ago!)

Lunch (12pm): Rabbit stew [leftovers], squash, turnip, green beans {245 Cal / 22.3g Carbs}
Nectarine, blackberries, yoghurt, hazelnuts {131 Cal / 10.8g Carbs}

BG (5.30pm) 4.1
Snack (5.30pm): Peach, cashews {91 Cal / 6.6g Carbs}

Wine whilst cooking: Rioja (4oz) {100 Cal / 3.1g Carbs}
Dinner (7pm):Hake fillet, white bean & chorizo stew {474 Cal / 31.8g Carbs}
Pineapple flambed in rum, ice cream, passion fruit {162g Cal / 26.2 Carbs}

Snack (9pm): Toast (one slice, seeded), peanut butter {178 Cal / 15.1g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee (2 decaf)

Calories 1992
Carbs 168.3g
Protein 132.1g
Fat 68.4g (Sat Fat 19.3g / Trans fats 0.5g)

All food cooked from scratch, if you would like any recipes please just ask

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday May 17 at 2340 or so...

Well, heading off to bed after a nasty day of Chrysler fixing, NEVER open your mouth and say "I can fix that"... Enough said...

Edit out Wednesday and insert Friday (maybe it was the rum?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shas3

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday May 18

FBG at 0830 was 4.4, food yesterday was;

Breakfast: 3/4 cup honey nut cheerios w/2% milk, black tea, 500 mg metformin
Lunch 2 thin slices black forest ham, 1/4 cup blueberries, black tea
Dinner: small piece bbq'd chicken, green salad w/Kraft balsamic dressing, 1/4 cup blueberries, glass of red wine, 500 mg metformin
Snack: 3 hefty slugs of rum w/diet Pepsi

Temp here 7C skies cloudy, heading out to pick up dead Land Rover with a friend and his diesel truck e/w car trailer, should be an entertaining day...

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dang! 3 days of rises in FBG! :arghh: Cant be stress or illness,I feel great and happy as can be.Guess I should pre and post test each meal today.

0630-5.22 FBG after 12 hour fast
1000-15.5 hour fast-2 eggs,2 sausage patties,tomato and radish
1430-6.33,out for jeep ride
1600-5.72.Driving Jeep isnt an issue for glucose,even tho its Mr Toads Wild Ride.:eek:
1630-Pickle
1730-small amt sunflower seeds
1805-Steak,shrimp,cauliflower,broccoli,carrots,spinach with butter
2200-2 pieces sugar free Russell Stover chocolate
0001-Chicken broth 1 cup with 2 sheets Nori

0900-FBG after 9 hour fast-5.33! What the heck? Any ideas? Snacks? Grazing? Increased portions? Fasting times? :shifty: I need ideas please.I need a day in the garden,hope it warms a bit today.:happy:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 371625

Saturday 18/5
FBG (05:30) Not measured today
Breakfast 1 (5.30am): Porridge (almond milk), plum, peach, walnuts {256 Cal / 34.2g Carbs}
….………………………...….2 mile run
……………………………….7 x 500m [sprints, 1 minute rests] on rowing machine
Breakfast 2 (8.30am): Duck egg, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado toast (one slice, sourdough)/
Juice from half a grapefruit {339 Cal / 23.6g Carbs}

Snack (10am): Banana {62 Cal /14.2g Carbs}
.............................................…..Fell walking, 12 miles

Lunch (12pm): Picnic during hike
Butternut squash, coconut & chilli soup {178 Cal / 26.9g Carbs}
Chicken & hummus salad {213 Cal / 8.2g Carbs}
Peach, mango, yoghurt, cashews {119 Cal / 13.0g Carbs}

(3pm) Beer after walk {190 Cal / 10.0g Carbs}

Dinner (6pm): Angus burger, sweet potato fries, salad / Rioja (4oz) {607 Cal / 47.0g Carbs}
Pear, blackberries, yoghurt, hazelnuts {114 Cal / 10.5g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee (2 decaf)

Calories 2157
Carbs 198.8g
Protein 93.1g
Fat 73.6g (Sat Fat 21.2g / Trans fats 0.9g)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.5 on the meter this morning around 5.00 AM.

Yesterday dinner was a burger made with whole-wheat bun and chickpea & vegetables for the patty. Side of salad... later i had blueberries with yogurt.

So... well it was definitely on the carb heavy side

Reactions: Venkat K

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
0900-FBG after 9 hour fast-5.33! What the heck? Any ideas? Snacks? Grazing? Increased portions? Fasting times? :shifty: I need ideas please.I need a day in the garden,hope it warms a bit today.:happy:
NO snacks! Unless no carb alcohol looks likes my solution...

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO snacks! Unless no carb alcohol looks likes my solution...
Shoot! Its 1:48 AM here and just did a fasting of 6 hours and had my best sugar since restarting diet/testing....4.22!!!!! And then ate a pickle.Probably be up there in Am but shoot,Im REALLY hungry.OK,I will watch those snacks,I agree,grazing those snacks doesnt seem wise.Thanks for the seconding advice,sometimes we dont see the forest for the tree's.;)

That said,its raining and I just finished watching meat loaf paradise by the dashboard lights (137 different live versions it seemed like) and Tina Turner Live at Wembley,Proud Mary.Tweaking Youtube to get full screen on android TV box,yay,got it! :woot: Off to bed,full numbers,etc in a bit.

Oh,and I ordered all the goodies to make keto friendly cheesecake,who would have thought thats even possible? Got from Walmart 2 day delivery so should be here in a week.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
0900-FBG after9 hr fast-5.33
0930-1 egg,2 sausage patty,1 tomato
1130-BG-6.5
1320-BG-5.55
1340-Chicken thigh with skin,fried in canola oil (all i had) cottage cheese
1535-BG-5.33
2010-Swai fish,mayo with pickle sauce,green beans and medium grapefruit
2210-BG-6.1
0140-BG-4.22,1 pickle

0645-Meds (oops)
0715-BG-6.16-my bad,should have tested before meds.

Last edited:

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday May 19

FBG 4.6 at 0820, food yesterday was;

Lunch: Restaurant bacon, ham and 2 fried eggs w/flax toast and 1 tomato slice, 3 cups black coffee
Dinner: 2 slices of cold bbq'd chicken, garden salad w/Kraft Catalina dressing, glass of red wine, forgot to take metformin
Snack: 2 glasses spiced rum w/diet Pepsi

Temp here 5C with clear skies, looks like a good day to finish bumper repair on daughter #1's Chrysler 200, then researching Land Rover V6 engine replacement at home, a really big job...

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice FBG,bet that made you smile.So you will replace,not rebuild engine?
Thanks, I find that if I don't eat any actual food, like a REAL snack after dinner, my FBG numbers are between about 4.5 and 5. If I have ANYTHING real to eat, my FBG is between 5 and 6 in the morning, so it is important to not have real food after dinner (not even those pork rind snacks), the booze (hard liquor) and diet pop or water does not seem to have an effect. As far as the engine goes, the hard work is removing it and then disassembling it to find out what is really wrong, either the rear timing chain broke or slipped a few teeth and on that 4.0L V6 you have to remove the engine to examine it. The thing is, the fellow I bought it from had an appointment to do that work one week from the time it happened, so he was quite disappointed, but glad I bought the whole car and he didn't have to try and part it out. Lotsa work, but I'll just take it slow and easy... Here it is after picking it up and placing in my garage...
LR_2007.jpg

Reactions: Venkat K and Shas3
D

Deleted member 371625

Sunday 19/5
FBG (05:30) 4.3
Exercise free day

Breakfast 1 (5.30am): Porridge (almond milk), strawberries, blackberries, walnuts {274 Cal / 34.6g Carbs}

Lunch (12pm): Tomato & red lentil soup {131 Cal / 19.7g Carbs}
Chicken, fig & avocado salad {257 Cal / 14.4g Carbs}
Peach, raspberries, yoghurt, pecans {141 Cal / 11.1g Carbs}

Dinner (6pm): Coq au vin, celeriac mash, cauliflower, carrots, swede, green beans {380 Cal / 31.8g Carbs}
Pineapple, passion fruit, ice cream {164 Cal / 25.3g Carbs}

Snack (7-9pm): Sheep's cheese, crackers / Merlot (8oz) {357 Cal / 14.9g Carbs}

5 cups of coffee (4 decaf)

Calories 1801
Carbs 165.9g
Protein 81.1g
Fat 59.1g (Sat Fat 15.7g / Trans fats 0.6g)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
last night 6.3 after a dinner of Salmon with lemon butter sauce snd a salad.

This morning it is 6.5...

I tried looking up ways to beat the dawn phenomenon but can’t find any concrete recommendations. Most suggestions seem to be about insulin timing which i am not on. I am trying to eat dinner early (7:00 pm latest), low / no carbs in dinner, short walk after dinner. Anything else which keeps the dawn phenomenon away or muted at least?

Happy Monday and a great week ahead everyone

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried looking up ways to beat the dawn phenomenon but can’t find any concrete recommendations.
I wish I had some ideas to help,but Im a blank. :(

Edit-Maybe look into grapefruit and also interaction with metformin.I saw this...Might be worth researching a bit to see if its doable with your meds?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit. Although the mechanism of this weight loss is unknown it would appear reasonable to include grapefruit in a weight reduction diet.

Last edited:

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I had some ideas to help,but Im a blank. :(

Edit-Maybe look into grapefruit and also interaction with metformin.I saw this...Might be worth researching a bit to see if its doable?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579728

There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit. Although the mechanism of this weight loss is unknown it would appear reasonable to include grapefruit in a weight reduction diet.

Thanks.. let me have a look

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG at 0830 was 4.4, food yesterday was;

Dinner: small piece bbq'd chicken, green salad w/Kraft balsamic dressing, 1/4 cup blueberries, glass of red wine, 500 mg metformin
enb54,Im curious.You seem to have really good glucose numbers,do you have any plans to get off the metformin?

Reactions: Venkat K

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
enb54,Im curious.You seem to have really good glucose numbers,do you have any plans to get off the metformin?
Yes I do plan to try to get off metformin, but not very soon. This happened to me once before back in year 2000 and I fell off the wagon of watching my BG in 2014, took until early 2019 to get diagnosed again, I'm determined to not lapse again.

Reactions: Venkat K and Prem51