Type 1 Miao Miao not connecting with Bluetooth

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
We have just received our Miaomiao and we are really excited. The problem is it refuses to connect to bluetooth. I have a Samsung Galaxy and it appears on the list of bluetooth devices, but when you try to pair, it just says "pairing not accepted by miaomiao".
Has anyone got any useful advice please?

Also, what is the best app to use to connect, when this eventually works.

Screenshot_20190412-080504_Settings (003).jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the tag @Knikki

Yeah I get that a lot. The Bluetooth on your phone doesnt connect to the MM. As @Knikki has already said if you go to the Burger menu (top left of screen) and go to Bluetooth scan, the MM will appear on that, jsy press the MM and, fingers crossed, it should spring into life

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki and @porl69 Thank you very much. IT WORKED!!!! :):):).

My next question is, Is there a way to share the results? The setup for DS at the moment is that we have a smartphone in his classroom. A teachers assistant (TA) uses LibreLink to send his readings to the school nurse. If she thinks he needs treating, she will come to the classroom or send a message to the TA. So, how can we get Xdrip+ to send his readings automatically to the school nurse?

Secondly, how do we configure the Xdrip+ to show a notification on the lock screen of a Samsung Galaxy A6?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Joesdad , if the other suggestions don't work, I'd maybe try unpairing the bluetooth earpiece devices which seem to be listed on the screenshot.

I recall seeing a few posts on the xdrip+ issues page where Samsung phones just don't play nice when there's more than one bluetooth gadget involved.

I think one involved it all working well until he got in his car and the bluetooth music system or something like that messed it up.

There's some connection issues discussed here, maybe a few ponters in there:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/issues/440

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My next question is, Is there a way to share the results? The setup for DS at the moment is that we have a smartphone in his classroom. A teachers assistant (TA) uses LibreLink to send his readings to the school nurse. If she thinks he needs treating, she will come to the classroom or send a message to the TA. So, how can we get Xdrip+ to send his readings automatically to the school nurse?

Need a little more info on how you're planning to do this. You can set up a follower phone with the xDrip+ sync options, though that would require 2 Android phones, both with Internet connectivity or connected to the same WiFi network.

A more involved option (as far as setting up goes) is to sync to a Nightscout instance over the Internet which can be viewed from any web browser.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Need a little more info on how you're planning to do this. You can set up a follower phone with the xDrip+ sync options, though that would require 2 Android phones, both with Internet connectivity or connected to the same WiFi network.

A more involved option (as far as setting up goes) is to sync to a Nightscout instance over the Internet which can be viewed from any web browser.

WOW!!! I just set up Nightscout and I'm amazed. I'm a bit techy, so i really enjoyed it. I discovered that i had set up a GitHub account a few years ago.
All we need to do now is send the school nurse the link, and she can open it on a PC or mobile to monitor. Thank you very much.

Reactions: db89

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.
My next question is about connecting up the Libre, miao miao and Nightscout with some sort of smart watch or fitbit device. Ideally, we'd like something that connects directly to the MM, so that DS (or his teachers on playground duty) doesn't have to schlep a smartphone around with him all the time.
Can anyone suggest anything please?

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Our Libre/MiaoMiao/Nightscout setup has been working amazing and we thank everyone who helped us along the way. So we recommended it to our friends whose son is in the same school. Also, another boy in DS's class has also been diagnosed with T1D. We imagine he will also eventually get this technology.

Now, if two (or more) kids are in the same room with MiaoMiaos, will there be any interference? Will the XDrip+ know which one to take readings from?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It should do because each phone with the app will have a Bluetooth pairing with each individual Miaomiao. Each device will have an individual 48-bit Bluetooth address (BD_ADDR) not dissimilar to a MAC address used to identify networking equipment at a low level.

I don't use the Miaomiao myself but use the similar Blucon and I have seen it stay connected in extremely noisy environments for Bluetooth and other wireless devices on the 2.4GHz range (think hundreds if not thousands of devices) with little need for maintenance for the pairing.

lyidaji

you can follow the steps below to turn off the "Trust Auto-Connect":

Setting——> Less common settings ——>Bluetooth Settings——>Trust Auto-Connect(Turn it off!)

if needed, you should restart your phone!

for the app, you can use Xdrip , glimp and tomato app

Reactions: Knikki

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
It should do because each phone with the app will have a Bluetooth pairing with each individual Miaomiao. Each device will have an individual 48-bit Bluetooth address (BD_ADDR) not dissimilar to a MAC address used to identify networking equipment at a low level.

I don't use the Miaomiao myself but use the similar Blucon and I have seen it stay connected in extremely noisy environments for Bluetooth and other wireless devices on the 2.4GHz range (think hundreds if not thousands of devices) with little need for maintenance for the pairing.
Thanks. What i'm worried about is, that with Samsung you don't pair with the MM using the phone's own bluetooth settings. You just do it through XDrip+'s settings>bluetooth scan. So I'm imagining a scenario where two devices show up. I suppose we'll just have to remember which one to press.

Joesdad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
you can follow the steps below to turn off the "Trust Auto-Connect":

Setting——> Less common settings ——>Bluetooth Settings——>Trust Auto-Connect(Turn it off!)

if needed, you should restart your phone!

for the app, you can use Xdrip , glimp and tomato app
Thanks. It's already turned off. Can't remember why

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. What i'm worried about is, that with Samsung you don't pair with the MM using the phone's own bluetooth settings. You just do it through XDrip+'s settings>bluetooth scan. So I'm imagining a scenario where two devices show up. I suppose we'll just have to remember which one to press.

Yep, I do it the same way with mine, although the Blucon seems to have a unique name (like BLU00000 [0s are random numbers]).

You could make a note of the Bluetooth address (BD_ADDR) that appears underneath the name as this will be unique for each Miaomiao - the last 2-3 pairs of hexadecimal bytes makes up the Lower Address Part (LAP) which uniquely identifies each device so they should all be different. That way you know you're picking the right one inside Bluetooth Scan - I've highlighted the bit I mean in the screenshot below.

RZ87ZU.jpg

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep, I do it the same way with mine, although the Blucon seems to have a unique name (like BLU00000 [0s are random numbers]).

You could make a note of the Bluetooth address (BD_ADDR) that appears underneath the name as this will be unique for each Miaomiao - the last 2-3 pairs of hexadecimal bytes makes up the Lower Address Part (LAP) which uniquely identifies each device so they should all be different. That way you know you're picking the right one inside Bluetooth Scan - I've highlighted the bit I mean in the screenshot below.

RZ87ZU.jpg

I've been wondering about this too. I recall when I set blucon up for the first time I was prompted to type the number on the edge of the blucon into xdrip+ and assumed that that paired the two so it knew to "talk" to that device.

When I later got the miaomiao, I was surprised that I didn't have to do that procedure, although I vaguely recall having to click the mm entry on the bt scan screen, so maybe that's enough to pair them, excluding other devices on the area without having to type any numbers in like blucon.

Conicidentally, I was at the T1DRoM looping seminar on Saturday with lots of people wearing cgm, pumps and loops, posted a bit about on T1S,r,U and Mel posted back about a loop facebook post from some folks at the event saying their devices seemed to be getting communications with other pumps - yikes! One boy went running past me saying, "f, my loop's down!"

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1stars-r-us.150597/page-814#post-2054240

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I don't have a miaomiao I can't say for sure but it sounds like they have no pairing code programmed into them (or it will be some default which most devices will automatically try like 000000 or 123456). The Blucons have a random 6 digit pairing code before they will accept a connection which is what you had printed on the side. Not ultimately secure, but enough to stop random pairing requests.

Also, once paired from the Scan screen I no longer see my Blucon in the list unless I reset it with a PIN so I presume it takes itself out of pairing mode and the phone knows it's already paired with it so maintains the connection.

I guess if some of these devices are in pairing mode all the time ready to accept any connection request you will inevitably end up with odd things occurring. I would hope in future generations of these devices lessons will be learned on this front and they could add simple things like NFC for easier pairing - my earphones and speakers do this and they're a breeze to connect to: tap, pair, ????, you were done 2 steps ago..

The seminar sounds very interesting Scott, it's exciting where we're going bit by bit. Although there's always going to be someone spoil the party by involving regulatory bodies (who move like glaciers) when they end up doing things with the power we're giving to ourselves in FGM addons and looping. With great power.. etc. etc. yada yada. Link

Reactions: porl69

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also, once paired from the Scan screen I no longer see my Blucon in the list unless I reset it with a PIN so I presume it takes itself out of pairing mode and the phone knows it's already paired with it so maintains the connection.

That makes sense - the same thing happened with miaomiao too at set-up, disappears from the bt scan screen, so I guess any others detected on a further bt scan would need to be clicked before talking to the app.

The seminar sounds very interesting Scott, it's exciting where we're going bit by bit.

Yeah, it was pretty motivational. I got a copy of Dana Lewis' new book Automated Insulin Delivery on my kindle after it and have started reading that.

I've always been a bit meh about pumps as I like the simplicity of MDI assisted by cgm, but hearing those stories at the seminar about bg more or less looking after itself in the background courtesy of an algorithm is very attractive.

Some DSNs and docs from where I'm treated were there, so I was saying to a couple of them - ooh, go on, prescribe me a patch-pump, I wanna patch-pump!