1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning. I’ll confess to a mild hangover... probably a smaller one than husbeast’s, although he hasn’t surfaced yet to verify. I did find a nearly empty mead bottle on the table! Still, bloods at the lower end of range, which makes me very happy on a non work day. Going to have a go at updating my elderly MacBook to the latest OS so I can start building my loop app. Wish me luck, listen in a westerly direction for some swearing.

• Like Like x 5
  2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck there @Mel dCP ..... tiptoes in other direction to wait it out ......

Cupboard is all back together, found unopened (in date) things to go to food bank (including large pot of Lindt chocolate hazelnut spread which, tragically, has milk in it). Still, some kids somewhere are going to be chuffed to bits with it which makes me smile a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Bet you found things that you never knew you had because they seemed a good idea about 10 years ago but you never used.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We most certainly did! Some things lurking at the very back were embarrassingly out of date :rolleyes: However, we have a clean, shiny well ordered cupboard now!

5. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday afternoon all. Had to go to the bank this morning as I clean forgot the pin for a rarely pin-used card that’s usually swiped or internetted - duh! It’s an essential part of the part-time job, and no, not dementia, just hadn’t used the pin for about a year.
    Older daughter dropped in for lunch and told us about her new-love book, forensic anthropology. We were all able to eat while she talked, so a bit worried now about family’s ghoulish tendencies.

6. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Happy Saturday fellow pickers and pumpers
    I had a great night last night enjoying the start of the local art festival : a night of free Live music in parks, squares, ex train stations and other venues. The musical variety was wonderful:, choirs in a church, Blues Brothers on the band stand, folk whilst eating pizza, hip hop in the comedy club, ska next door and my favourite, bluegrass versions of recent hits (like Gold digger) in the middle of a Georgian Square.
    BG was great throughout the night (with a combo bolus, pizza is no problem). However, I did not sleep well and, today has been a bit like my new avatar. Apart from a trip to the garden centre for some heavy bags of stone chips that I had to lug up my vertiginous garden. Just have to spread it around and plant my new rosemary bush. It is needed for future pizzas.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, all, a few snippets from today's T1D Rise of the Machines Scotland event, which was about looping.

As someone who really likes a long-lie in at the weekends, it was a bit of a surprise to find that things like 8:00am and 9:00am actually existed on Saturdays. I thought they were just during the week.

Staff on the Libre stall were vague about it as it was above their paygrade but the indications were that libre version 2 is not going to be launched in the UK any time soon, perhaps as much as a year away, so anyone putting off getting MiaoMiao preferring to wait for v2 alerts will probably be in for a long wait.

The docs there all said that clinicians see closed loop as the future but were honest enough to say that the loop pioneers know way more about it than they do and one had actually arranged for a looper to give educational sessions to HCPs about it.

One said that when it comes to reviewing their area's policy on which pumps to provide, they're going to be factoring into the equation a pump's capacity for playing with open source looping.

One said that although this stuff is do-able, it takes motivation, and the pumps need to be more plug-and-play.

One slide showed that although NICE was really talking the talk about pump availability 10 yrs ago, actual provision in E&W is only about 5% and 11% in Scotland.

Dana Lewis, who is like the pioneer of looping, has a new book out, Automated Insulin Delivery, which looks like it will be the go to first read for anyone interested in exploring this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automated-...very&qid=1558193930&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

She explained her motivation behind it all: she went through spells of being terrified of going to sleep. I think most of us have probably had that after a bad night hypo.

She and others made it clear that the open source community are actively talking to pump makers and some of their code is in pumps now.

No surprise really - they reckon that collectively there is over 11 million hours of experience of loop, compared to the 100,000 hrs or so which medical devices usually go through for certification.

Had a sketch at the Kaleido stall. It's a new entrant to the patch-pump market, well, sort of - patch with a very short tube and cannula patch beside it. Very small, about the same size as an omnipod but thinner. The difference is you don't chuck the whole thing, just the tiny reservoir and set. Quite a neat little gizmo, but because it's so new, no telling when it will be available.

Oh, and there were a few boxes of what were Glucotabs but have now been rebranded as "Lift", so if you're in Boots restocking, watch out for the name change. Snagged a few of those - they still taste like chalk.

In other news - was in the office yesterday, my boss offered me a slice of a Mr Kipling cake (not in a bad, you're diabetic, can you eat this way, he's a decent bloke), had a glance at my cgm, decided it wasn't the right time for it, so I said, hmm, let me see if I can guess the carb count. So, eyed it up a bit, compared it to a 40g tesco cheesecake and a 10g kinder bueno, reckoned it was about 20g, but called it at 22 to make it sound as if accuracy matters. So he looks at the box and says, close, it's 31. I said, wtf, that's never 31, give me the box. And label says the 31 was the total weight, and the carb turned out to be...wait for it...21.6! I really couldn't resist doing some showboating - putting that on my T1 CV - who needs scales or labels, eyeballed it to only 0.4g out! And the boss was sitting there saying how the f did you do that? We've got to make our own entertainment with T1!

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notorious

Notorious Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello. Think this is my first post on this thread.

Is there any discussion anywhere on diabetic consumables and sustainability? Every time I change a pump site, I think, so much plastic, so little recyclable... Do any of the manufacturers even have a statement or position on this? I suppose I should be Googling to check :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel dCP

This just came up on my Facebook feed :D

C0DBA1BD-2319-4266-AE2C-9C105DAFA915.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update @Scott-C gutted that I could not be there.

Was there many in attendance

11. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I know what you mean and confess to pulling all my pump consumables apart and separating the plastic out to put in the recycling. I find the film on the hygienically sealed parts frustrating and unnecessary as no one buys cartridges because they look nice, for example. But I always recycled the paper backing.
    I also consider how much stuff has to be put in the sharps container. If it fills fast with cannula inserter and the like, that's extra journeys to collect it and deliver the next one. Another reason to strip the parts and only put the sharps bit in the sharps container.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Notorious

Yep, everything is very over-packaged. I worry if it's going to be difficult to find pumps etc once plastic becomes more expensive.

13. Scott-C

Lol, Mel, the organiser at the Scottish end, LinnBee, sent out a few tweets in the run up saying switch off unneccesary bluetooth, it was repeated at the start of the event, but even so...

I only witnessed one person rushing past me saying, "****, my loop's down."

In a Q&A session, there was a question about whether newer iterations would move to more reliable frequencies than bluetooth. To which the answers were, erm, don't know, but what they meant was, like what, satellite dishes on our heads or 1980s style mobile phones?

If I hadn't had to get up so darned early and didn't have a hangover, I would have been tempted to do a bt scan in xdrip and see how many others were running mm.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the day, devoted to really high tech T1 stuff, started with the technology meant to display powerpoint presentations on a huge screen behind the presenters didn't, erm, work, so they had to wing it a bit for the first two hrs! But T1s always find a solution so it went swimmingly after thatm

By the by, the biggest round of applause of the day was for a young lad, Ross Beard, who did his own T1 version of Woo Hoo, vid here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/3dland_MC/status/1129786301694304259

https://mobile.twitter.com/LinnBee

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scott-C

There sure was, getting on for around 200, a mix of T1s and HCPs, about a dozen stalls from pump and cgm makers.

Photo copyright: nerdabetic:

D610tb4WkAAkzKD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It depends what kind of plastic’s used as some is more easily recycled than others. The worst are those that use layers of different kinds and non-plastic materials, e.g. walkers crisp packets. Ideally there’s be no plastic at all but a biodegradable starch-based material that’d begin to break down after the use-by date of the packaged object and could then be composted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Eurovision is on and I'm well drunk, and so far Iceland for the win they are FANTASTIC :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mel dCP

I'm just drunk hahaha

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Notorious

Depeche Mode 80's meets Prodigy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Right so my votes go fore Russia really good voice and not bad production, Denmark her song was great and of course Iceland :hilarious:

Man this is hard to type when drunk..........:cat::hilarious:

France won't win but the dancers were fantastic and the singer was certainly odd but again had a good voice but forgettable song.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Scott-C

Any views on Albania?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook