Breakfast and lunch trouble

Flic2019

I am a community carer. I’m out of the house by half 6 and I finish at 3pm generally with no break.

I need ideas of quick and easy good breakfast and lunch ideas I can have on the go.
Tried salad yesterday but by the time I could eat it, it was warm and soggy :(

Anyone have any bright ideas because I’m at a loss xxx

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast I alternate between two staples. The first is Greek yoghurt with berries i.e strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. The other is a bit off the wall and is mostly chopped raw veggies. Broccoli, courgette, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, cheese, Ham, avocado cucumber, etc. The first takes a few seconds to throw together so is good for a quick getaway in the morning, the other would need to be prepared and put in the fridge overnight. I take it you don’t have anywhere to store your food so you might find investing in a cooler of some kind then salads etc wouldn’t be horrible and floppy. My son takes leftovers from the previous evening’s to work in a cool bag. Good luck.

Flic2019

Thanks for the reply. I was worried about Greek yoghurt as haven’t checked the sugars and carbs yet but a lot of people mention it so might have to have a look :)

No I literally have my car for storage so I will invest in a small cool box I think.

Thank you hun xx

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a community carer. I’m out of the house by half 6 and I finish at 3pm generally with no break.

I need ideas of quick and easy good breakfast and lunch ideas I can have on the go.

i take to work with me a mix of roasted almonds raw almonds pecans and wanuts (mainly from lidl) rarely have breakfast probally between 100 to 150 grams per day... suits me rarely hungry...

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would suit an intermittent fast regime perfectly.. just take a flask of coffee with cream for sustenance then eat when home?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Flic2019
me thinks a cool bags would be of good use.

unaware of real needs of type one's..but as a type 2.

a quick easy breakfast for me is 1 of.
a handful of nuts.
some greek yoghurt with berries
boiled eggs.
ryvita with peanut butter on
avocado + scrambled/mashed eggs..Cook egg night before, but scoop out avocado in the morning
(i also do the egg, bacon thing, but that's not so quick for you)

for snacks,
biltong..(never would have considered it pre DX, but now its a regular buy)
babybel cheeses
pork scratchings
pepperami

all self packaged, and ok from bag, but cool bag obviously better.

any of those should see you through the day (6-3pm)
i work similar hours and usually postpone any real eating until
i get home.

i'd normally say some fast foods subway salads for instance,
but i doubt that would be of use to you with such a busy day.

I'd certainly suggest a cool bag, if possible (i do have access to a fridge at work )
That does bring a real fresh salad back into play, (a slop of coleslaw usually perks mine up)

and a gentle rethink of HOW you eat and why..(just to eat, to stave off hunger or to fuel you up ? ..)
might be useful...sounds odd, but that reflection, does change what you eat and when..

Many mention that their relationship with food is now more of the fuelling up
to get them through the day...which is kinda what i do now .

But i've now started to see that evening meal (drool) as a deferred pleasure, and
something to be looked forward to and savoured as a treat at the end of every day.

hope some of that helps, sure others will have good ideas too..

good luck finding a way.

*edit.
just to add posted up, without seeing any other posts on screen,
but all good ideas..

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can sort yourself out with a cooler bag to store your food ideas would keep most of your food fresh.
I usually do boiled eggs the night before, crack and peel them.
I quite like the heinz frankfurters - pork or chicken, dealer's choice - you can eat warm or cold
Carrot/celery sticks
maybe depot some nut better into a dipper pot
berries
cauliflower rice for lunch with eggs, meat and peas, like stirred fried rice
Roasted beet root as crisps

D

Deleted Account

@Flic2019 do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Or any other type?
Unless you have chosen a low carb diet, you could talk to your colleagues and find out what they eat. Type 1 diabetes, for example, does not have to be a reason to change your diet. I and others make no changes to our diet because of diabetes and maintain good management of our BG.

Reactions: WuTwo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Take a flask of soup! You can make it as low carb as you like, it stays hot for hours and is easy to slurp straight out of the flask. That's what I do along with some miniature cheeses and nuts.

Flic2019

@Flic2019 do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Or any other type?
Unless you have chosen a low carb diet, you could talk to your colleagues and find out what they eat. Type 1 diabetes, for example, does not have to be a reason to change your diet. I and others make no changes to our diet because of diabetes and maintain good management of our BG.

This is the problem. They don’t know. Should get my blood results in two weeks and then know. For now they are treating me as if it’s type 2 xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto muffins. They have sweet and savoury. Some can be frozen, so grab and go in the morning.

Dark Horse

If you buy frozen berries such as raspberries, you can mix them with plain Greek yoghurt before you leave for work. The berries will defrost by lunchtime, but in the meantime they will keep the yoghurt cold.