Falling off the no carb wagon!!

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just wondered if anybody who does Low Carb ever falls off the band wagon?? Despite have several diabetic related health issues at the moment, I still seem to struggle with my willpower, I think it’s because I am feeling bit depressed about my diabetes, finding it hard to stay positive, any tips to share? Thanks

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, just wondered if anybody who does Low Carb ever falls off the band wagon?? Despite have several diabetic related health issues at the moment, I still seem to struggle with my willpower, I think it’s because I am feeling bit depressed about my diabetes, finding it hard to stay positive, any tips to share? Thanks
Yes I'm afraid I do I find it very difficult to really low carb I get real cravings though I am not sticking to just under 100 a day which for me is very little ( I would have far more than 100 in one meal )

Reactions: Freema

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

One way to approach the situation might be to give yourself a 'reward day'. Stick to the diet Monday to Saturday and then have your cake (and eat it) on Sunday. Something to focus on - whatever gets you through the week.

Last edited:

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Depends on what you mean by fell off.
If by fall off you mean go completely into denial about having a problem in the first place and eating a parade of cakes, rice, cereals, fruits and pasta - then you'll find a number of stories in the forum about exactly that.
If by fall off you mean eating a higher carb allowance than you give yourself on a low carb diet eg, 2 oat cookies instead of 1/2
well that happens too.
It's all swings and roundabouts. You hit the nail on the head there and the key is to focus your mind on staying positive.
The insidious thing about sugar and carbs is that they are addictive substances and having grown up with them, so much of our happy memories tend to be associated with them ie, treats, cakes etc...

If I could give you a top tip, I would say most of all - be fair on yourself.*
Create new delicious food memories with low carb and they won't come with a guilt tax!
The important thing is to get back on the horse.

Here are some truths I've found.
1) If you don't control your diabetes, your diabetes will control you.

It is in you to make your life amazing despite having diabetes.
When you get to the otherside of it, when you're feeling healthy because you're eating right for yourself rather than wrong because you feel that's what comforts you, those carb cobwebs will go and you'll be surprised you ever thought otherwise.

*edited to expand on this statement
Being fair on yourself means acknowledging your failures when they occur but not punishing yourself uselessly.
It also means giving yourself the best chance to get better.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I'm afraid I do I find it very difficult to really low carb I get real cravings though I am not sticking to just under 100 a day which for me is very little ( I would have far more than 100 in one meal )
I'm sorry to say that I think your level of carbs is probably keeping you teetering on the edge of carb addiction and constantly topping up won't help that much. I find that say bread like food causes all my problems to resurface (even if ultra low carb) so I cut it out completely and no longer even consider it "food".
Do you think this could be causing you the same problems? It makes falling off the wagon more likely in my mind.
Just something to think about..

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry to say that I think your level of carbs is probably keeping you teetering on the edge of carb addiction and constantly topping up won't help that much. I find that say bread like food causes all my problems to resurface (even if ultra low carb) so I cut it out completely and no longer even consider it "food".
Do you think this could be causing you the same problems? It makes falling off the wagon more likely in my mind.
I agree with you especially re the bread my DN as recommended I cut bread out of my diet ....I don't think I will ever achieve ( or really want to lose bread completely ) but I am having very small amounts now.

M

Member496333

Personally, no. I find it very easy to permanently abstain. Firstly because I have already had quite serious complications and I don’t want them again. Secondly because I’m full-ketogenic and have no cravings or desires at all.

Reactions: 1spuds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you especially re the bread my DN as recommended I cut bread out of my diet ....I don't think I will ever achieve ( or really want to lose bread completely ) but I am having very small amounts now.
In my mind mildly poisoning myself is still mildly poisoning myself.. and when it becomes self defeating it's time to take action. But everyone must find their own way.

M

Member496333

Bread’s dead. I look at a loaf of bread now and all I see is a big block of processed sugars. It’s a mindset that I don’t expect anyone else to care about or agree with, but it works for me and requires no effort.

Reactions: Freema

Flamingo74

I find abstinence easier than moderating foods. I’m an all or nothing girl really. I haven’t eaten bread, potatoes,rice, pasta, chocolate, sweets - anything higher than 5g carb per 100g - since being diagnosed T2 two months ago. I don’t crave these foods now, my meals satisfy me and I feel a different woman. It sounds daft but I didn’t realise just how poorly I felt.

Planning my meals really helps me and trying new recipes - google has become my new go-to :) . I plan to succeed now rather than leave anything to chance.

Good luck.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread’s dead. I look at a loaf of bread now and all I see is a big block of processed sugars. It’s a mindset that I don’t expect anyone else to care about or agree with, but it works for me and requires no effort.
Ha! I agree with you,so there! :) Stupid bread wants to kill me.

I find abstinence easier than moderating foods. I’m an all or nothing girl really
Agree with that too,except the girl part.If I were to eat a little bread I would be ruining my numbers fast.

mr_cat

Personally, no. I find it very easy to permanently abstain. Firstly because I have already had quite serious complications and I don’t want them again. Secondly because I’m full-ketogenic and have no cravings or desires at all.
Haha yep no cravings for food at all , it is only when i eat i realise i am hungry , when i am properly hungry my body just says eat NOW! .
I have even woken up at 3 in the morning and made a full blown meal and gone back to bed after.
Sir when i read your posts and look at your avatar i think, Hunter S Thompson in hiding..

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Quitting cold turkey was the best move I made, I’m the kind of person that doesn’t do it in half measures. If I have to make a change I’ll go full on with it. I no longer feel anxiety whenever I am out and about because I have a clear list of food to eat. I enjoy researching menus and cooking my own things. This has been a transformative experience and upped my confidence into the stratosphere.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like carbs anymore. I am not sure about others but when I eat carbs after low carb diet I feel weird switch of energy. I don't feel well from inside. I suggest when you eat carbs try to be mindful about how does it make you feel after eating or how does it effect your health. I bet you will find it gross.
I used to love roti, now I can't eat it. I am insulin resistant which I think is improving since I have started exercising with high intensity am no longer feeling thirsty after having carbs, so I tried today sweet panipuri which deep fried wheat hollow ball filled with sweetened curd, mashed white potatos, sweet water.
I swear I didn't enjoy it , I used have daily before I was low carb.
I think I fell out of love with carbs.
You can watch a Ted talk of mindfulness it was in context with cigarettes addiction and I think can help with carbs as well.

Reactions: Freema and 1spuds

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on what you mean by fell off.
If by fall off you mean go completely into denial about having a problem in the first place and eating a parade of cakes, rice, cereals, fruits and pasta - then you'll find a number of stories in the forum about exactly that.
If by fall off you mean eating a higher carb allowance than you give yourself on a low carb diet eg, 2 oat cookies instead of 1/2
well that happens too.
It's all swings and roundabouts. You hit the nail on the head there and the key is to focus your mind on staying positive.
The insidious thing about sugar and carbs is that they are addictive substances and having grown up with them, so much of our happy memories tend to be associated with them ie, treats, cakes etc...

If I could give you a top tip, I would say most of all - be fair on yourself.*
Create new delicious food memories with low carb and they won't come with a guilt tax!
The important thing is to get back on the horse.

Here are some truths I've found.
1) If you don't control your diabetes, your diabetes will control you.

It is in you to make your life amazing despite having diabetes.
When you get to the otherside of it, when you're feeling healthy because you're eating right for yourself rather than wrong because you feel that's what comforts you, those carb cobwebs will go and you'll be surprised you ever thought otherwise.

*edited to expand on this statement
Being fair on yourself means acknowledging your failures when they occur but not punishing yourself uselessly.
It also means giving yourself the best chance to get better.
That’s a great attitude, I just find that I am very hard on myself and each time I can’t stick to healthier plan I become very low, it’s almost like I feel under great pressure to try harder because of the complications I suffer with my diabetes, on paper I know it’s a non brainer but add a dollop of emotion and at times it becomes over whelming , but thank you for you thoughts x

Reactions: KookieMunchster

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

I agree with you. I have given bread up completely now. I did enjoy a slice each day but figured it was best to cut it out completely. It has helped a lot.

Reactions: Member496333

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a great attitude, I just find that I am very hard on myself and each time I can’t stick to healthier plan I become very low, it’s almost like I feel under great pressure to try harder because of the complications I suffer with my diabetes, on paper I know it’s a non brainer but add a dollop of emotion and at times it becomes over whelming , but thank you for you thoughts x
I look at it as a lifestyle change,not a diet.Im enjoying finding new ways to bring back my favorites (when possible) that were tasty but are no longer my friends.Like the 85% chocolate,who would have thought its possible? So many options,just keep reading,you will find them.Thought I'd never see another pizza,then found fathead pizza,what a winner!

I never was really a huge fan of broccoli and cauliflower but when I look at a big portion with melted butter I salivate more than Pavlov's dogs,just an exciting new world now.And its good!

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/
has so many excellent great foods and simple educational tools that work for us.Take a look,its fantastic.

I dont let evil downer people that want to kill me in my life,I just expand that to evil foods.To me its just a good all around lifestyle philosophy that I find really positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: KookieMunchster

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I find abstinence easier than moderating foods. I’m an all or nothing girl really. I haven’t eaten bread, potatoes,rice, pasta, chocolate, sweets - anything higher than 5g carb per 100g - since being diagnosed T2 two months ago. I don’t crave these foods now, my meals satisfy me and I feel a different woman. It sounds daft but I didn’t realise just how poorly I felt.

Planning my meals really helps me and trying new recipes - google has become my new go-to :) . I plan to succeed now rather than leave anything to chance.

Good luck.
...It sounds daft but I didn’t realise just how poorly I felt." SAME HERE!
It is all about the planning now from here on in.
Po

gsuba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hey there, I was diagnosed with type 2 3 years ago, and despite eating all glicozite and metformin doses my sugar was always 30pmol. My gp just keep upgrading my dosages till i requested proper check in hospital, man everything changed! They checked me in done tests and been diagnosed with type 1. Since I'm insulin depending person my sleep and whole life changes and itvwas great change! I can now eat everything also I am trying to keep carb under control but its easy to found out what carbs you're actually get into your body, and since i have insulin with me, i no longer worry about carbs, just make sure ypu do your math.. Im creatin sort of app for this... Don't be afraid and depressed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there, I was diagnosed with type 2 3 years ago, and despite eating all glicozite and metformin doses my sugar was always 30pmol. My gp just keep upgrading my dosages till i requested proper check in hospital, man everything changed! They checked me in done tests and been diagnosed with type 1. Since I'm insulin depending person my sleep and whole life changes and itvwas great change! I can now eat everything also I am trying to keep carb under control but its easy to found out what carbs you're actually get into your body, and since i have insulin with me, i no longer worry about carbs, just make sure ypu do your math.. Im creatin sort of app for this... Don't be afraid and depressed.
Could you please update your profile to show you are T1 as your treatment options are completely different from a diet controlled T2. Thanks