Can you do a glucose tolerance test at home?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you do a oral glucose tolerance test at home? If so what is it you buy to do it and how much?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us on here have done a home OGTT.

Personally I used Rapilose, which is also used by doctors.

https://www.gpsupplies.com/catalog/...pilose-ogtt-glucose-solution-300ml-pack-of-1/

You do need to acquaint yourself with how to prepare for this test.

upload_2019-5-27_14-55-32.png

You need to fast for at least 9 hours prior to test, and sit quietly throughout the period you intend to test. (3 hours is probably best) taking finger prick tests before you drink, and thereafter at intervals to suit yourself. I did it every 15 minutes.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Can you do a oral glucose tolerance test at home? If so what is it you buy to do it and how much?
My GP surgery does OGTT's , have you asked yours? You get phase 1 and phase 2 insulin levels if done through the surgery blood test. Phase 1 insulin irregularities can indicate beta cell have deterioration. The nurse can also monitor you if your blood sugar goes suddenly high or suddenly low and provide support.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP surgery does OGTT's , have you asked yours? You get phase 1 and phase 2 insulin levels if done through the surgery blood test. Phase 1 insulin irregularities can indicate beta cell have deterioration. The nurse can also monitor you if your blood sugar goes suddenly high or suddenly low and provide support.

Curiously, do you sit in the room with your nurse for the full 2 hours?

@Mollyc1995 - What are you hoping to learn from your OGTT?

Tracie2019

Hi guys need a bit of advice please
So for the past month
or so I have had need to drink more so that ment wee more didn’t think to much more about it
I been having hot sweets in the night for prob about 3/4 month and put that down to menopause.
So thinking about diabetes my dad /nan/uncle all had diabetes
I bough a home resting kit and today I took the plunge and tested
All I had eaten today was 2 slices of white bread butter and jam.
The result was 11.4 at 17.00 and to be honest In shock
I deffo am gonna make doc appt tomorrow
Should I do another test in the morning as wont eat anything else till tomorrow now‍♀️
Forgive me if this is not the place for this thred but would really appreciate some advice
Tia x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So for the past month
or so I have had need to drink more so that ment wee more didn’t think to much more about it
I been having hot sweets in the night for prob about 3/4 month and put that down to menopause.
Should I do another test in the morning as wont eat anything else till tomorrow now‍♀️
Forgive me if this is not the place for this thred but would really appreciate some advice
Tia x

I would simply wait until you see the doctor. T2 can be genetic, so you are at risk.
Testing again is up to you, but as it may stress you out, it may be best not to.
No need to starve yourself. Just don't eat any sugar or carbs.
Ask your doctor for an HbA1c test, which is the test used to diagnose diabetes.
Meanwhile, read round the forum, ask questions, and come back when you have seen your doctor.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt a T2 in he UK would get any insulin testing done on the NHS..?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t asked to have it done at doctors, I was curious as someone I’ve met at work has type 2 and reversed her diabetes 2 years ago and had a OGTT done (not sure at home or docs), and her highest number at one hr was 8 and back to normal by 1 hr 30 mins...so I was interested to test when doctors confirm me in remission...I was only diagnosed in March but for 5 weeks now my levels have been in complete normal range.

Is it only the ogtt that tests your first phase and second phase insulin?
How can I check at home to know if my phase one is working normal?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So for the past month
Tia x
Definitely go to your doctor, so you can get your hba1c done and take it from there x

Tracie2019

I would simply wait until you see the doctor. T2 can be genetic, so you are at risk.
Testing again is up to you, but as it may stress you out, it may be best not to.
No need to starve yourself. Just don't eat any sugar or carbs.
Ask your doctor for an HbA1c test, which is the test used to diagnose diabetes.
Meanwhile, read round the forum, ask questions, and come back when you have seen your doctor.
Thankyou for reply I’ll let u know wot is said

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
So for the past month
Tia x
The advice given is stellar. Go to your GP and ask for an HbA1c.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I doubt a T2 in he UK would get any insulin testing done on the NHS..?
I wasn't diagnosed with type 1 at the time. Just an HbA1c of 11.6%. I assumed as you point out perhaps wrongly, this is something they decided to give all diabetics, including pregnant mothers.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I haven’t asked to have it done at doctors, I was curious as someone I’ve met at work has type 2 and reversed her diabetes 2 years ago and had a OGTT done (not sure at home or docs), and her highest number at one hr was 8 and back to normal by 1 hr 30 mins...so I was interested to test when doctors confirm me in remission...I was only diagnosed in March but for 5 weeks now my levels have been in complete normal range.

You can't check insulin at home, but if your HbA1c is normal, I believe you can assume your insulin and beta cells are also functioning normally.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

You will not get an insulin test on the NHS. You would need to have it done privately. Several people on the forum have gone down this route. I believe Medichecks do it. @bulkbiker can provide the details.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't diagnosed with type 1 at the time. Just an HbA1c of 11.6%. I assumed as you point out perhaps wrongly, this is something they decided to give all diabetics, including pregnant mothers.

Some doctors will do an OGTT, and this is what all pregnant women have. However, it does not include an insulin test. They are not routinely done on the NHS. They have to be done privately.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You can't check insulin at home, but if your HbA1c is normal, I believe you can assume your insulin and beta cells are also functioning normally.

Really? A normal HbA1c proves nothing except your average BG levels are within the normal range. It does not show what state your pancreas is in or what your circulating insulin levels are like. The HbA1c has many faults. Only an insulin test (insulin resistance test) will show this. It is perfectly possible to have a normal HbA1c yet have high circulating insulin due to insulin resistance. Most T2s have insulin resistance and high circulating insulin as much as decades before glucose levels become a problem. This is what leads to T2 in the end. There must be millions of people walking round with normal HbA1cs that have IR and high circulating insulin.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Really? A normal HbA1c proves nothing except your average BG levels are within the normal range. It does not show what state your pancreas is in or what your circulating insulin levels are like. The HbA1c has many faults. Only an insulin test (insulin resistance test) will show this. It is perfectly possible to have a normal HbA1c yet have high circulating insulin due to insulin resistance. Most T2s have insulin resistance and high circulating insulin as much as decades before glucose levels become a problem. This is what leads to T2 in the end. There must be millions of people walking round with normal HbA1cs that have IR and high circulating insulin.
You're right, of course. It makes perfect sense. I was just trying to justify why a GP wouldn't order a glucose tolerance test on a normalised HbA1c diabetic. If what you say is true, then maybe they should.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is absolutely right. If a "normal" HbA1c is obtained it could be like a 500 cc car doing 70 mph as a maximum and redlining, compared to a 1.5 litre cruising at 70. HbA1c is a good marker, but ideally you would want this achieved with the least amount of insulin being secreted, glucose spikes below 7.8, short period spikes and the lowest amount of background (basal) circulating insulin.

D

Deleted member 308541

Curiously, do you sit in the room with your nurse for the full 2 hours?
Apart from the initial blood draw, I was in the waiting area at the pathology shop where I drank the bottle of glucose, then back into the room to get another sample, then rinse and repeat till it was finished.