Was on the waiting list for a full by-pass. Now recovering.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hugs heading your way and warm wishes for the operation which has been so long awaited. Hope that the next few weeks whizz by and your operation has the best possible outcomes for you - but it’s tough and you do need to take care of yourself wishing you all the best before, during and afterwards.
I will be kind to myself til I'm healed then with some weight loss I want to increase my mobility.... any how. I will drum up all my determination to get this weight off.
Then keep maintaining.... which will be the real challenge. Not many can sustain it, longterm. Even those whose op was a decade ago. They are the true champions!!!
Well anyone fighting their weight are an inspiration to me. Everyone.
Nothing ventured... Nothing gained.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound like your going into this eyes wide open, very realistic and most importantly full of determination. Can’t be a more promising start point on this journey.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Have date. It's 12th of June.
At last. I've been either starving or eating normally and even had a holiday in-between.
If I could have gone private I wouldn't have more health problems. I look like I've had a stroke these days.
Wait loss hasn't helped with back/pelvis pain so far. In fact I have trapped nerve in my neck too now. My typing has gone altogether. My supporting right arm for crutch is less helpful. I've nearly fallen twice this week. Slow isn't the word.
I just want my life back!
I am so pleased you now have a date. 12th June will soon be here. Xxx

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck for the 12th June will be thinking of you
You are doing so well and are such an inspiration to others

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes for op and recovery. Take things easily to begin with.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am so pleased you now have a date. 12th June will soon be here. Xxx
Thanks @ally1. I really need this change. I couldn't stay positive forever when my health wasn't getting better.
I'm ready.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Am glad you are ready. Not long now. Xx
I start Liver Shrinking Diet on Monday so out getting appropriate foods as I haven't had cereal for a while, nor fruit. Nor Yogarts. I will buy powdered milk too. I cannot keep milk in this house!!! :) :) :)
I'm soooo ready.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I start Liver Shrinking Diet on Monday so out getting appropriate foods as I haven't had cereal for a while, nor fruit. Nor Yogarts. I will buy powdered milk too. I cannot keep milk in this house!!! :) :) :)
I'm soooo ready.
All the best for the 12th ickihun. :)

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've more than halved my insulin units as prescribed. I'm ranging between 10-20 bgs thou. However those bgs are less spiky and less unsteady, even though too high. Work in progress.
Every meal gives a different influence on my bgs. Timing or lack of liver block too.

Not many days left before admission.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've more than halved my insulin units as prescribed. I'm ranging between 10-20 bgs thou. However those bgs are less spiky and less unsteady, even though too high. Work in progress.
Every meal gives a different influence on my bgs. Timing or lack of liver block too.

Not many days left before admission.
You are, and will continue to be in my thoughts xx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you.
Just need to pick up last pieces of toiletries.
2 large tupperware boxes full of boxed meds to hand over. Hoping any less meds for discharge.
Although a few being changed to liquid form or injections.
Sooooo happy to dump Dapagliflozin tablets and it's wretched side effect. :) :) :)

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @ickihun. Just caught up with your thread and your journey to get this surgery. Good luck for your op. You will not regret it. I don't post really on the forum...more of a lurker really. But, I just wanted to send you well wishes for your recovery.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy 5 years ago and lost 9 stone within the first 10 months. The pre op liver shrink I found to be a killer. I was allowed milk and yoghurt for 1 week. But, it's worth the pain! My insulin requirements reduced dramatically. Prior to surgery I was taking over 100 units per day. Now, my TDD is usually around 20 units. Many Type 2's who have this surgery tend to go into remission with it. I hope this is the case for you. Just look after yourself, and be kind to yourself after your op. I'm so excited for you. Take care x

Reactions: ziggy_w

togram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I developed respiratory failure due to my weight last July. I was offered a gastric surgery referral but declined. I'm on metformin. I have complex health needs. Since then I've lost 7 stone using lchf, my consultant didn't recognise me. Since losing that weight things have changed greatly, I still have a shedload of weight to lose but I'm more mobile and managing daily things with more ease. I decided the surgery wasnt for me, I have to be in charge. I went thru the NHS programme about 12 years ago and decided not to proceed then. I got Ill and put on even more weight.
Onward and upward.
All my best wishes and positive vibes being sent your way.
I know it isnt easy but you sound positive and have made your plans. You can be spurred on by those grandchildren and look forward to being involved in their activities instead of being a spectator

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to celebrate my weight loss to date which has eventually achieved the NHS target, for me to be on the waiting list for a Roux en y operation (which will support my weight loss efforts even more).

At my heaviest and on correct insulin for my morbibly obese body I was 136kgs. Now sitting at 125-126kgs.

I have done it my way (low carb), dieticians way (bariatric and diabetes) and been influenced by the forum and its members varied views.

For my family who need me the most I had decided 3yrs ago that a full by-pass would help me stay alive and for longer (maybe). I was extremely ill and needed hospitalizing every winter. I knew I was skirting death.

I am much lighter and as a result I am not choking to death from the weight and a common cold pressing on my enlarged chest.
That few stones of weight loss has helped with the severity of that but not as close to miles apart as I'd like.

My operation and further weight loss should do that.
I'm now realising that maybe my meds will be replaced rather than reduced but we'll see. Obviously far less serious meds though. Which medics will appreciate more.

I'd love to one day come here and revise this post to say I'm med free. For all my health conditions... but diabetic insulin injections will be a fine start.
Here's to very low units of insulin, if any and far less tablets to take. Cheers!
Well done ickihun x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I developed respiratory failure due to my weight last July. I was offered a gastric surgery referral but declined. I'm on metformin. I have complex health needs. Since then I've lost 7 stone using lchf, my consultant didn't recognise me. Since losing that weight things have changed greatly, I still have a shedload of weight to lose but I'm more mobile and managing daily things with more ease. I decided the surgery wasnt for me, I have to be in charge. I went thru the NHS programme about 12 years ago and decided not to proceed then. I got Ill and put on even more weight.
Onward and upward.
All my best wishes and positive vibes being sent your way.
I know it isnt easy but you sound positive and have made your plans. You can be spurred on by those grandchildren and look forward to being involved in their activities instead of being a spectator
Thx @togram.
Fantastic loss and keeping your weight off with lchf. :) :) :)
I only lost if I was low carb and low fat/low calorie. Of which I cannot sustain, hence stomach reduction. I decided full bypass for elimination of at least one of my insulins. This will be aided if I can resume to Metformin. Roux-en-y can get rid of IBS so im hoping for changes in my system that might come from this surgery.
Diet is an excellent tool but with my underactive thyroid and IBS and non compliance from metformin I needed more than low carb eating to control my 40yr old diabetes.
I'm on a mission to see how far I can push my uncontrolled diabetes and morbibly overweight body. I want to see my body into as much remission as I can muster. Which unfortunately includes low calorie eating, longterm.
If I could sustain such a restrictive diet for my bodies needs (longterm) and lose some of my 2 paged repeat prescriptions without surgery then I too wouldn't need surgery. I'm only 48yrs old and would like to get back to feeling well on metformin.
Its a shame my body changed after the 2 pregnancies. Also that I've had type2 symptoms since I was 6yrs old, or sooner.
I'm not in the knowledge of whether at 3mths old if I was given steroids to fix my chest infection/Pneumonia which struggled due to an antibiotic causing a negative reaction from that allergic reaction. I'll never know.

I'm using the info I hv now to prolong my chance of seeing my grandchildren; one day. No help having my children late due to failed IVF and undiagnosed diabetes either. I guess.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hey @ickihun. Just caught up with your thread and your journey to get this surgery. Good luck for your op. You will not regret it. I don't post really on the forum...more of a lurker really. But, I just wanted to send you well wishes for your recovery.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy 5 years ago and lost 9 stone within the first 10 months. The pre op liver shrink I found to be a killer. I was allowed milk and yoghurt for 1 week. But, it's worth the pain! My insulin requirements reduced dramatically. Prior to surgery I was taking over 100 units per day. Now, my TDD is usually around 20 units. Many Type 2's who have this surgery tend to go into remission with it. I hope this is the case for you. Just look after yourself, and be kind to yourself after your op. I'm so excited for you. Take care x
Thanks @Geordie lass. Do you feel Roux-en-y would hv been no benefit for a type1? More risk of poor healing or this wasn't the case, for you?

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Geordie lass. Do you feel Roux-en-y would hv been no benefit for a type1? More risk of poor healing or this wasn't the case, for you?

Hi @ickihun, I decided to go for the sleeve gastrectomy as it is less invasive than the bypass. I didn't really want my intestines shortened!! I went for the sleeve surgery due to being 250lbs, very insulin resistant, and my portion sizes were so out of control!! The sleeve surgery dealt with all three issues, so I would say the surgery has been so beneficial for my T1DM. I healed pretty quickly and was exercising 6 weeks post op. I've not looked back since.

I'll be thinking about you next Wednesday. Where are you having your surgery? My surgery was done privately at Leeds Nuffield. I was too impatient to wait 2 years+ for the NHS!! Good luck x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ickihun, we are all thinking of you and are on the countdown. If you can (and I'm sure you will have one or two other things to think about), please let us know how you get on. It seems strange on a website but it feels like cheering on a friend!!!!