Holidaying (in Italy) with T2: not the end of the world...

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
So today I had a funny discussion with some pals about my forthcoming holiday to Rome. Apparently I'm going to find it "sooooooo hard to eat, what will you do? You can't eat the bread and pasta, oh I'd haaaaate that". Ummm..... Okay! So, no, I won't eat the bread and pasta, but I'll probably eat a fair bit of delicious Mediterranean salads with meats and cheese, and I'm perfectly ok with that! It's NOT the end of the world.

It's also my birthday whilst I'm over there, and apparently the fact I won't be having/eating a birthday cake is the cause of concern - "Oh my god, HOW will you cope? NO CAKE! But it's your birthday!" Yup, it's my birthday, so what? It's a day that won't really change too much, diet wise. I don't need to smash my way through a massive cake or slice of cake. I'll be taking my birthday cake flavour protein bar(s) with me, and as sad as some of my friends seem to think that is, I am perfectly happy with that. Honestly. I genuinely realise that I won't be able to devour a chunk of sugary cake anymore without it whacking up my BG levels - and to be fair, I don't really want to have to run (plod, jog, crawl - depending!) twice around the Vatican to bring those levels back down, just because of a piece of cake.... ;-)

I think it's easy to fall into the trap of 'disaster' thinking with diabetes, I really did at the start. I had the 'oh woe will be my food-life' thinking about some foods I wouldn't be able to eat. But over the past 7 months I've had *immense* fun - and yes, it really has been fun, in a totally geeky way - to find swaps to make with certain foods, so that I don't hammer my BG levels. It's a work in progress, but I'm trying to make smart choices and not go back to old habits.

A birthday is just a day, same with Christmas, same with Easter, same with holidays. I think being over in Rome with friends who will be eating big carbs from pasta and breads will be interesting, in terms of not having them anymore - I used to think nothing of a big bowl of spaghetti and a wedge of garlic bread. It tasted good at the time. I'll just avoid and replace with max protein foods. Plus, I still have to try out that courgetti stuff as a sub for spaghetti, still may need a bit of convincing on that. ;-) …. But anyway, I guess my reflection was that, whilst others (friends) seem to think it's the end of the world having different foods nowadays, I think it's actually pretty cool. Because by making those alternative choices, it means I'm trying to manage this thing the best way I can - one day at a time, by swapping foods, so that I can keep myself on track. I now know I don't have to stop going out for food, or give up food. I just need to be savvie and make more lower BG-loving choices. And I'm ok with that.

So holidays......here's to having salads (and cheese!) in Italy! :)

Reactions: Paule Foster

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Rome just a few weeks back.

We stayed at a bed a breakfast hotel and the buffet breakfast was great. Loads of choice.

We located a Carrefour supermarket nearby and I was able to buy LCHF freindly foods there such as Greek yoghourt, cheese, precooked meats etc.

We picked our restaurants carefully but there was lots of choice.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
860EA81E-890B-4F9A-8FB1-95A0174A0B8D.jpeg

Try this thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-in-rome-lchf-in-italy.161533/#post-1992731

Last edited:
Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I was in Rome just a few weeks back.

We stayed at a bed a breakfast hotel and the buffet breakfast was great. Loads of choice.

We located a Carrefour supermarket nearby and I was able to buy LCHF freindly foods there such as Greek yoghourt, cheese, precooked meats etc.

We picked our restaurants carefully but there was lots of choice.
This looks delicious! :)

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness you’ll also be able to enjoy the delicious fish and meat based main dishes. Let’s face it, the bread and pasta are the tasteless vehicles for the tasty bits, so you just get to eat the best bits! And along the lines of @Antje77 s post, here’s a pic of my birthday cake this year - organised by some friends (I didn’t bother with the lettuce!)

And happy birthday!

4FFF5B2C-99CE-4FFB-A12B-B673F4EA0BD4.jpeg

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But over the past 7 months I've had *immense* fun - and yes, it really has been fun, in a totally geeky way - to find swaps to make with certain foods, so that I don't hammer my BG levels. It's a work in progress, but I'm trying to make smart choices and not go back to old habits.
Couldnt agree more.Thought I was getting my foodie hobby pretty dialed in,now its back to a whole new learning.Kinda cool actually,I know I can do this.Just opening a new door,not the end of the world by any stretch.:)

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Good topic. If you already enjoy everything you eat, then there’s no need for treats and indulgences that may be suboptimal for your health. Rain, shine, birthdays...makes no difference if you already enjoy a delicious and fulfilling menu of foods that are great for your mind and body. You’re never going to get the majority to comprehend an existence without bread and pasta.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Couldnt agree more.Thought I was getting my foodie hobby pretty dialed in,now its back to a whole new learning.Kinda cool actually,I know I can do this.Just opening a new door,not the end of the world by any stretch.:)
Exactly that, 1spuds - it's just opening a new door :)

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness you’ll also be able to enjoy the delicious fish and meat based main dishes. Let’s face it, the bread and pasta are the tasteless vehicles for the tasty bits, so you just get to eat the best bits! And along the lines of @Antje77 s post, here’s a pic of my birthday cake this year - organised by some friends (I didn’t bother with the lettuce!)

And happy birthday!

View attachment 33214
Haha, brilliant! That's a mighty fine looking 'birthday cake' :)

Reactions: 1spuds
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think I'll make up a birthday cake from different cheeses next year! Googling for a nice picture of birthday cheese for this thread has given me all new ideas!

Drooling now over cheese :hungry:

Reactions: 1spuds

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I had a funny discussion with some pals about my forthcoming holiday to Rome. Apparently I'm going to find it "sooooooo hard to eat, what will you do? You can't eat the bread and pasta, oh I'd haaaaate that". Ummm..... Okay! So, no, I won't eat the bread and pasta, but I'll probably eat a fair bit of delicious Mediterranean salads with meats and cheese, and I'm perfectly ok with that! It's NOT the end of the world.

It's also my birthday whilst I'm over there, and apparently the fact I won't be having/eating a birthday cake is the cause of concern - "Oh my god, HOW will you cope? NO CAKE! But it's your birthday!" Yup, it's my birthday, so what? It's a day that won't really change too much, diet wise. I don't need to smash my way through a massive cake or slice of cake. I'll be taking my birthday cake flavour protein bar(s) with me, and as sad as some of my friends seem to think that is, I am perfectly happy with that. Honestly. I genuinely realise that I won't be able to devour a chunk of sugary cake anymore without it whacking up my BG levels - and to be fair, I don't really want to have to run (plod, jog, crawl - depending!) twice around the Vatican to bring those levels back down, just because of a piece of cake.... ;-)

I think it's easy to fall into the trap of 'disaster' thinking with diabetes, I really did at the start. I had the 'oh woe will be my food-life' thinking about some foods I wouldn't be able to eat. But over the past 7 months I've had *immense* fun - and yes, it really has been fun, in a totally geeky way - to find swaps to make with certain foods, so that I don't hammer my BG levels. It's a work in progress, but I'm trying to make smart choices and not go back to old habits.

A birthday is just a day, same with Christmas, same with Easter, same with holidays. I think being over in Rome with friends who will be eating big carbs from pasta and breads will be interesting, in terms of not having them anymore - I used to think nothing of a big bowl of spaghetti and a wedge of garlic bread. It tasted good at the time. I'll just avoid and replace with max protein foods. Plus, I still have to try out that courgetti stuff as a sub for spaghetti, still may need a bit of convincing on that. ;-) …. But anyway, I guess my reflection was that, whilst others (friends) seem to think it's the end of the world having different foods nowadays, I think it's actually pretty cool. Because by making those alternative choices, it means I'm trying to manage this thing the best way I can - one day at a time, by swapping foods, so that I can keep myself on track. I now know I don't have to stop going out for food, or give up food. I just need to be savvie and make more lower BG-loving choices. And I'm ok with that.

So holidays......here's to having salads (and cheese!) in Italy! :)

How about a trendy gluten free cake aka one my grandmother used to make with nut meal instead of flour? Easy peasy. You might just need some artificial sweetener in place of the sugar then all you need to do it separate 5 or 6 egg whites and beat them till stiff peaks form. Then stir through yolks one at a time. Then add the sweetener and gentley stir the nut meal (hazelnut works well but also walnut is nice) without taking too much of the air out of the beaten whites. Bake at 150 or 160C for 50 mins or till a knife comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream. Enjoy! Shouldn't raise the blood sugar too much. X

D

Deleted Account

You have a fantastic attitude @IronLioness
I am sure you will have an amazing trip to Rome without the run around the Vatican at least ten times.
(Have you seen the size of the Vatican? Twice around won't be much more than a trip to the corner shop and back :))