No sugar jelly with double cream

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I always used to like milk jelly, and I have read on here about zero sugar jelly, so I thought I would try out a "milk jelly" made with double cream.

The jelly powder is Hartley's Sugar Free Raspberry flavour jelly.

Key ingredients seem to be pork gelatin and Aspartame. Not much sign of any raspberries.

Very easy to make.
Put the powder in a measuring jug, fill up to 300 ml with boiling water then stir until the powder has dissolved.
Allow to cool and then stir in a 300 ml carton of double cream.
Chill in the fridge and wobbly pinky white stuff is yours.

It is "OK" but unfortunately I get a strong after taste of Aspartame.
So I enjoy eating it despite the hint of chemicals, but then I suffer the long after taste.
This is one reason why I don't have diet drinks, or artificial sweeteners in tea or coffee.

However the basic plan seems sound, so I might look at using gelatin and an alternative flavouring if I can find one.
The whole thing tastes very sweet, probably due to the cream, so I could possibly look for a fruit flavour without added sugar as a basis.

Reactions: Evie-D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I just ask if milk jelly is what I would call blancmange?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I always used to like milk jelly, and I have read on here about zero sugar jelly, so I thought I would try out a "milk jelly" made with double cream.

The jelly powder is Hartley's Sugar Free Raspberry flavour jelly.

Key ingredients seem to be pork gelatin and Aspartame. Not much sign of any raspberries.

Very easy to make.
Put the powder in a measuring jug, fill up to 300 ml with boiling water then stir until the powder has dissolved.
Allow to cool and then stir in a 300 ml carton of double cream.
Chill in the fridge and wobbly pinky white stuff is yours.

It is "OK" but unfortunately I get a strong after taste of Aspartame.
So I enjoy eating it despite the hint of chemicals, but then I suffer the long after taste.
This is one reason why I don't have diet drinks, or artificial sweeteners in tea or coffee.

However the basic plan seems sound, so I might look at using gelatin and an alternative flavouring if I can find one.
The whole thing tastes very sweet, probably due to the cream, so I could possibly look for a fruit flavour without added sugar as a basis.

Milk Jelly, well that was the first thing I cooked at 11 in the girls school, I didn't actuslly like it and have never tasted it since, that was quite a few years ago now. I do like sugar free jelly, but good luck with your your recipe for Milk jelly.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
May I just ask if milk jelly is what I would call blancmange?

No - I think blancmange is nearer to pink custard?

Then again, Wikipedia says it is milk or cream thickened with gelatin (or corn starch).
I think I was used to the version thickened with corn starch.
Which is a bit like custard powder without the yellow colouring.

Milk jelly is a standard jelly where some of the cold water has been replaced by milk.
Still wobbly like a jelly but you can't see through it and it tastes creamier.
Blancmange (the version I remember) is like set custard; still almost runny.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
No - I think blancmange is nearer to pink custard?

Then again, Wikipedia says it is milk or cream thickened with gelatin (or corn starch).
I think I was used to the version thickened with corn starch.
Which is a bit like custard powder without the yellow colouring.

Milk jelly is a standard jelly where some of the cold water has been replaced by milk.
Still wobbly like a jelly but you can't see through it and it tastes creamier.
Blancmange (the version I remember) is like set custard; still almost runny.
Thank you.

Reactions: chrestomanci

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use gelatine and also vege-gel, and add cream or yoghurt - even soya yoghurt - Alpro do a zero carb one, and food flavouring or fruit pulp. When it is cool and a bit gloopy I whisk it up to incorporate air, so it expands quite a bit.

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Hartley's 10 Cal jelly pots. I find the raspberry flavour delicate, if not quite true to life, and certainly not over-sweet. Only 3g carb per pot and zero effort! With double cream of course, and sometimes with Slim rice if I want something more filling.

Reactions: KookieMunchster