1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No sugar jelly with double cream

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by LittleGreyCat, Jun 4, 2019.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always used to like milk jelly, and I have read on here about zero sugar jelly, so I thought I would try out a "milk jelly" made with double cream.

The jelly powder is Hartley's Sugar Free Raspberry flavour jelly.

Key ingredients seem to be pork gelatin and Aspartame. Not much sign of any raspberries.

Very easy to make.
    Put the powder in a measuring jug, fill up to 300 ml with boiling water then stir until the powder has dissolved.
    Allow to cool and then stir in a 300 ml carton of double cream.
    Chill in the fridge and wobbly pinky white stuff is yours.

It is "OK" but unfortunately I get a strong after taste of Aspartame.
    So I enjoy eating it despite the hint of chemicals, but then I suffer the long after taste.
    This is one reason why I don't have diet drinks, or artificial sweeteners in tea or coffee.

However the basic plan seems sound, so I might look at using gelatin and an alternative flavouring if I can find one.
    The whole thing tastes very sweet, probably due to the cream, so I could possibly look for a fruit flavour without added sugar as a basis.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

May I just ask if milk jelly is what I would call blancmange?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Milk Jelly, well that was the first thing I cooked at 11 in the girls school, I didn't actuslly like it and have never tasted it since, that was quite a few years ago now. I do like sugar free jelly, but good luck with your your recipe for Milk jelly.

4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No - I think blancmange is nearer to pink custard?

Then again, Wikipedia says it is milk or cream thickened with gelatin (or corn starch).
    I think I was used to the version thickened with corn starch.
    Which is a bit like custard powder without the yellow colouring.

Milk jelly is a standard jelly where some of the cold water has been replaced by milk.
    Still wobbly like a jelly but you can't see through it and it tastes creamier.
    Blancmange (the version I remember) is like set custard; still almost runny.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I use gelatine and also vege-gel, and add cream or yoghurt - even soya yoghurt - Alpro do a zero carb one, and food flavouring or fruit pulp. When it is cool and a bit gloopy I whisk it up to incorporate air, so it expands quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I like Hartley's 10 Cal jelly pots. I find the raspberry flavour delicate, if not quite true to life, and certainly not over-sweet. Only 3g carb per pot and zero effort! With double cream of course, and sometimes with Slim rice if I want something more filling.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook