Bacon and Eggs v Porridge

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently started a new job and the best part of the job is the subsidised canteen where I can get a full English breakfast at lunchtime for just £2.00

I turn down the toast but eat the rest, even though the sausages are a bit suspect.

Over the last few days I couldn’t help but notice that one or two that sit down for lunch, either have a bowl of porridge or a bowl of granola. No doubt they must be taking the healthy option while I am taking the least healthy option. From the T2 perspective, the circumstances have led to me raising an inner smile. :D

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Does the canteen not have “proper “ lunch? All sounds like breakfast to me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Listlad, I wonder what would be considered the 'healthiest' of the two for a NON diabetic. I guess it's whether you think the vitamins of bacon & eggs are better for an individual than grains or oats? I think (if I didn't have a dodgy pancreas) I would prefer to eat the porridge or eggs but not the bacon (health wise). It's blooming difficult all round. But bacon is fab of course for glucose levels.

Reactions: JP808 and Serena51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Listlad, I wonder what would be considered the 'healthiest' of the two for a NON diabetic. I guess it's whether you think the vitamins of bacon & eggs are better for an individual than grains or oats? I think (if I didn't have a dodgy pancreas) I would prefer to eat the porridge or eggs but not the bacon (health wise). It's blooming difficult all round.
I think you are right. Yes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the canteen not have “proper “ lunch? All sounds like breakfast to me.
It does but those options tend to be carb oriented so I just order omelette or a full English. They just cook them to order. We are talking about a midday meal here. So yes, some are sitting down at lunchtime and eating porridge and granola, presumably thinking it is healthy...

It works out well for me though as at least I can have a good lunch without having to bother about carb content, while at work.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123
D

Deleted member 308541

Bacon and eggs rules over porridge OK.

Bacon and egg burgers were part of my staple diet on day shift at MIM crib times, probably the cause of my T2 later on.

Reactions: karen8967

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon and eggs rules over porridge OK.

Bacon and egg burgers were part of my staple diet on day shift at MIM crib times, probably the cause of my T2 later on.

Hi Tipetoo, have I read that right, you think bacon & egg burgers were probably the cause of your type2 later on or do you mean the porridge?
Bacon & eggs wins every time if you have type 2 diabetes or don’t want to get it.
Bacon & eggs wins every time if you have type 2 diabetes or don’t want to get it.

Ah, but there was I thinking it wasn't eating the 'wrong' food that gave you diabetes! Of course avoiding the wrong food afterwards helps. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi Tipetoo, have I read that right, you think bacon & egg burgers were probably the cause of your type2 later on or do you mean the porridge?

No porridge mentioned in that bit as it was not sold at the BSD so the burgers were probably the cause, along with stress, smoking, beer etc.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like bacon and eggs but I love porridge- if I could I would choose porridge over bacon and eggs - I don't but would if I could

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully this is true
http://www.paleowales.co.uk/paleo-wales-news/nitrate-free-bacon-myths-paleo-wales

I always loved porridge but it only took me about 20 years to work out that it was a major trigger for heartburn for me so I stopped eating it even before I was watching my blood sugar levels.

We do eat bacon but I've always been wary of the preservatives. I tend to have eggs with cheese melted through rather than bacon every morning (although my Serbian husband inhales bacon... but occasionally finds a fellow Serb who makes his own "Slanina / speck" european style with just salt and smoke I think.)
I've been roasting pork belly at home more often, just salt and garlic on that, but I'm always worried I'm going to break my teeth on the crackle and it definitely is a culprit when it comes to constipation (for the whole family mind you). We love it but it's not without its challenges.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the only concern with bacon is the preservatives which is why I only have it every other day!

Reactions: KK123

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If you're worried about bacon get your friendly neighbourhood butcher to slice up a joint of belly pork.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have in the pantry boxes of porridge untouched but bacon never lasts long here I buy it from local butcher who cures it himself and it is delicious.he also sells free range eggs from local producers so for me and my family bacon and eggs wins out every time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs and trimmings every time for me. I must admit I never have sausages from cafes as I don't trust them.

I never have liked porridge. Horrid stodgy stuff.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Bacon and eggs and trimmings every time for me. I must admit I never have sausages from cafes as I don't trust them.

I never have liked porridge. Horrid stodgy stuff.

Same. I have horrid memories of lumpy porridge swimming in milk as a child. Me and my siblings will never recover fully from the trauma of it.:D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a program on TV yesterday - Tuesday - about diet - comparing 'healthy' food with bacon and eggs - the bacon and eggs were the winners for various reasons.

Reactions: goddy225
D

Deleted member 308541

the bacon and eggs were the winners for various reasons.
They're winners to our grandsons as well, they go through as much B&E as we do every day, their parents brought them up well when they were kids.

I asked them before if they ever had porridge for breakfast at home, they just laughed and told me to get real on eating garbage.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
D

Deleted member 308541

Burgers in buns maybe?
Of course - a bacon and egg and salad burger would not be a bacon and egg burger without the bun.

Mighty fine buns if I remember rightly, I think they were from Dud Ables bakery, same as the ones we used to buy when we got them.