Struggling to eat right

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don’t know why I’m posting this really, just needed to say it. I know what I should be eating but I just can’t stop eating the rubbish

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Imagine some meals you might like - Roast chicken with mushrooms, cauliflower and a side salad with red pepper and whatever you have in the fridge. Steak with courgette and a big salad - sausages with mashed celeriac and a few peas.
Make up a shopping list and off you go.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Don't you like any out of Meat, Cheese, Eggs, Cream, Olive Oil ?

Reactions: 1spuds

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I eat **** when I cannot be bothered to cook. Honestly, I admire everyone who eats so well. Most days, I have zero energy after getting home from work to even think about cooking something from scratch...

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat **** when I cannot be bothered to cook. Honestly, I admire everyone who eats so well. Most days, I have zero energy after getting home from work to even think about cooking something from scratch...
Bulk cook and freeze portions? A slow cooker set up before work?

Have a go to list of fast quick meals and prepared ingredients. A stripped down chicken in the fridge, a bag of stirfry veg a bit of coconut oil is a stir fry in 5 minutes. A bag of frozen cabbage can be heated through on the hob and used as pasta with a dollop to two of cream cheese and some meat or fish stirred through. Omelettes again take a few seconds. Lots of very quick stuff out there if you’re only cooking to please yourself.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Have a go to list of fast quick meals and prepared ingredients. A stripped down chicken in the fridge, a bag of stirfry veg a bit of coconut oil is a stir fry in 5 minutes. A bag of frozen cabbage can be heated through on the hob and used as pasta with a dollop to two of cream cheese and some meat or fish stirred through. Omelettes again take a few seconds. Lots of very quick stuff out there if you’re only cooking to please yourself.
Hi, HSSS, thank you for the suggestions. I am a bit limited to what I can cook because my boyfriend is picky (ok, his diet is like, imagine a 3 year old let free to roam in a supermarket - chocolate, cakes, pies, crisps, rubbish and more rubbish...). I do try to educate him but it's definitely hard work.
Don't know exactly what I'm trying to say with this, lol. I guess I' hungry and could eat all of the above, especially the chicken and stir-fry - yumm! I might even get myself together today to cook that for dinner. :wacky:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, HSSS, thank you for the suggestions. I am a bit limited to what I can cook because my boyfriend is picky (ok, his diet is like, imagine a 3 year old let free to roam in a supermarket - chocolate, cakes, pies, crisps, rubbish and more rubbish...). I do try to educate him but it's definitely hard work.
Don't know exactly what I'm trying to say with this, lol. I guess I' hungry and could eat all of the above, especially the chicken and stir-fry - yumm! I might even get myself together today to cook that for dinner. :wacky:
Hey I have a carboholic vegetarian husband and 3 teenage boys only one of whom is happy to eat my way! I get it. But you are not responsible for your boyfriend’s choices.

For once I prioritise me and put my meal first then work out variations for them that fit me. Often just adding a carb side and having a second pot with Quorn not real meat.

My food is my medication and if I keel over the domestic world would fall apart so it’s for their benefit too

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know why I’m posting this really, just needed to say it. I know what I should be eating but I just can’t stop eating the rubbish
Do you know why? Tired? bored? Resentful of having to eat low carb? Time?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, we use the slow cooker a lot.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 6 year old in the house who would go for those choices and another adult that isn’t too far from it either. I have to “battle” with them both to reach compromises that benefit not just me but them too. I am not a great cook but I do the cooking which helps. :D

Last edited:

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you know why? Tired? bored? Resentful of having to eat low carb? Time?
Honestly, all of the above, not necessarily all at once. I've got a fatty liver and I think that's why I'm almost always tired. I check my blood sugars a few times a day, they're usually normal, sometimes a bit high if I've had a carb-heavy meal.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hey I have a carboholic vegetarian husband and 3 teenage boys only one of whom is happy to eat my way! I get it. But you are not responsible for your boyfriend’s choices.
I'm not sure about the gravitas of the fact that my bf is a diagnosed Aspie... Not only am I fighting diabetes and liver disease, I'm also fighting his tantrums, likes and dislikes. You are correct, I am not responsible for his choices, but I do want him to lead a healthier lifestyle too. But sometimes, I'm just too tired of it all. :facepalm:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Annie,your diet is your medicine and your life. Your boyfriend its anything he wants.He needs a reality check and you need to set limits.The consequences if you dont are going to be something YOU will definitely regret,not him.

Its that cut and dried.To me its a lifestyle,a mindset.

I look at a potato and see something that wants to kill me.Those yummy little fruit pies? They want to kill me too! I dont allow killers anywhere near me in my life,thats just bad judgement in my lifestyle.

I see a fatty piece of meat and I get all warm and cuddly feelings.It wants to make me well.And I have no issue frying up a hunk of meat,its simple,I see a smiley emoji when I look at it.

Even if I dont feel like cooking.... I recently brought home a cooked rotisserie chicken from the store.I know that doesnt want to kill me either.Your junk food burger,ditch the bun and sauce....youre good to go! :)

Soooo....thats how I beat the bad diet choices.As for the BF,dont get me started.Let him cook his own food,I wouldnt put up with that at all.Again thats me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I quite like the way this guy describes carb addiction: like your best friend that is trying to kill you (and you have to kill him/her before it does so! I was sceptical about the concept of a food addiction but the way some people here talk about eating junk even though they know if is harming them, it makes sense.

Reactions: mashandsoph

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A store im headed to in a bit makes pork scratchings either leaner or lots of fat.I get the fatty ones.Its one that might be considered junk food that you can eat without any regrets regarding sugars.No cooking either! :hungry:

Reactions: jpscloud

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you cheat try to think how does it make your body feel, check your glucose level when you high carb or sugar. Imagine the consequences of eating this way.
This is what keeps me in check. If I eat high carb I generally don't feel alright. I knowni can't process it very well as I don't stay energetic as I do on low carbs. Staying mindful of high carbs helped me a lot.
Also may be you can keep prepared food in advance for one or two days and then plan for next days.
Or if you come from work tired may be cook in morning for evening as well.
Please check below tedex might be of some help to you-

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you cheat try to think how does it make your body feel, check your glucose level when you high carb or sugar. Imagine the consequences of eating this way.
This is what keeps me in check. If I eat high carb I generally don't feel alright. I knowni can't process it very well as I don't stay energetic as I do on low carbs. Staying mindful of high carbs helped me a lot.
Also may be you can keep prepared food in advance for one or two days and then plan for next days.
Or if you come from work tired may be cook in morning for evening as well.
Please check below tedex might be of some help to you-

That’s easier said than done. Some people are capable of knowing the consequences but eat it any way, some just want a small treat but realise that was a bad idea and some have their thumb firmly on no carbs. It works for you but it doesn’t work for everyone, some people are still getting to grips with it and learning. Unfortunately for some don’t really bother with their health and it is sad.
I always believed health is wealth, but it took me a while to realise that.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For OP, there are a lot of options for you to meal prep. Keep it simple and easy, it doesn’t have to be complicated. You can food prep 4-5 meals for two days (in total 8-10 similar variations of food ideas) and redo it. Slow cooker is good, streamer is also good for veggies etc, air fryer if you are feeling cheeky, bread maker if you are feeling creative to bake your own low carb keto bread and you can freeze extra portions or if there are left overs it can be used for breakfast or as a snack.