Holidaying (in Italy) with T2: not the end of the world...

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Buongiorno @IronLioness ! I loved reading this thread! I'll give you another link, if you fancy hearing about me eating cheese and 5lb-er steaks. And don't worry about not being a wine-drinker. I had enough for both of us! ;)
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-one-cor-net-to.154101/#post-1891321
Hiya!

Sooo....I returned from Italia, with my lifestyle still intact! #Winning :)

I mostly ate mozzarella caprese and salads, all delicious and I didn't feel I was missing out. I took my BG monitor with me, as well as my birthday cake flavour protein bars (eaten instead of cake!) and I had a great time. I had pasta once, a gorgeous lobster linguine, small portion, and I then walked about 5 miles sightseeing - and keeping things moving.

Italy is fabulous, so good I'm going back soon! :)

Having experienced a different kind of trip this time around - limited bread and pasta etc, I still had a great time and it showed me that life can still be lived with diabetes. Just because I can't eat ALL the carbs, it's not the end of the world, it's actually really refreshing.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya!

Sooo....I returned from Italia, with my lifestyle still intact! #Winning :)

I mostly ate mozzarella caprese and salads, all delicious and I didn't feel I was missing out. I took my BG monitor with me, as well as my birthday cake flavour protein bars (eaten instead of cake!) and I had a great time. I had pasta once, a gorgeous lobster linguine, small portion, and I then walked about 5 miles sightseeing - and keeping things moving.

Italy is fabulous, so good I'm going back soon! :)

Having experienced a different kind of trip this time around - limited bread and pasta etc, I still had a great time and it showed me that life can still be lived with diabetes. Just because I can't eat ALL the carbs, it's not the end of the world, it's actually really refreshing.
Did you try the Italian ice cream / gelato? Over the 5 days I was in Rome I had two. One was a raspberry panacotta with cream - very nice.

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Did you try the Italian ice cream / gelato? Over the 5 days I was in Rome I had two. One was a raspberry panacotta with cream - very nice.
@Listlad not quite, I had one spoon of my friend's gelato and stopped at that. I was too scared to do the whole thing - I got paranoid at the pure sugar element and it was late at night so I knew I didn't have time to bash out any exercise. I was pretty hardcore with myself, but only because it works best for me - stay away from foods I don't need or will super spike me, and or it could go the other way and I fall back into old ways, arghhh..... Trying to keep disciplined, but admittedly, it was tough aat some points - friend ate all the carbs, whilst I was on salads and meats. All good though, but then I saw the cannolis there were for dessert and snacks, and I had to just 'walk away', hahaha! :)

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad not quite, I had one spoon of my friend's gelato and stopped at that. I was too scared to do the whole thing - I got paranoid at the pure sugar element and it was late at night so I knew I didn't have time to bash out any exercise. I was pretty hardcore with myself, but only because it works best for me - stay away from foods I don't need or will super spike me, and or it could go the other way and I fall back into old ways, arghhh..... Trying to keep disciplined, but admittedly, it was tough aat some points - friend ate all the carbs, whilst I was on salads and meats. All good though, but then I saw the cannolis there were for dessert and snacks, and I had to just 'walk away', hahaha! :)
Ha. No I didn’t touch the cannolis either. Just the gelato.

Did you visit the Colosseum and Vatican when there? We had a great few walks in the city. Best was the walk down to the Colosseum from Piazza Venezia.

Last edited:
Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Ha. No I didn’t touch the cannolis either. Just the gelato.

Did you visit the Colosseum and Vatican when there? We had a great few walks in the city. Best was the walk down to the Colosseum from Piazza Venezia.
Yes indeed, the Vatican and St Peter's, the Pantheon, Colloseum, Piazza Venezia and the Alter of the Fatherland and just behind it the Roman Forum, wow!!! Loved it. Also the Basillicas, around 4 of them, just stunningly beautiful

Reactions: Listlad

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Yes indeed, the Vatican and St Peter's, the Pantheon, Colloseum, Piazza Venezia and the Alter of the Fatherland and just behind it the Roman Forum, wow!!! Loved it. Also the Basillicas, around 4 of them, just stunningly beautiful
Sorry to miss your replies - been touring round round the ring of Kerry, Killarney and Cork last week and researching the effects of Irish Whiskey on diabetes. We missed the Basilica but saw most of the main sights. I want to go back again and again to spend time in the Trastevere then spend longer soaking in the city. I'm hooked.